Shrinking Pattaya Reservoirs

forcebwithu

10 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I would think it would be much more efficient to let the reservoir level increase through normal storm runoff and in the meantime supply Pattaya's water needs directly through pipes from other sources.

You are assuming the pipes putting water in the reservoir and the pipes pulling water from the reservoir are connected to each other other than through the reservoir itself. As this is Thailand ...

37 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Are you sure they're pumping water into the reservoir. That would sound like a very inefficient way of providing water for the Pattaya area.

First you would have twice the energy expenditure for delivering the water to the Pattaya water distribution system; first pumping the water into the reservoir, then pumping it out again when needed.

There's also the loss of water in the reservoir through evaporation, seepage into the ground, and the considerable water uptake from all the weeds now growing in the reservoir basin.

I would think it would be much more efficient to let the reservoir level increase through normal storm runoff and in the meantime supply Pattaya's water needs directly through pipes from other sources.

it was alwasy fed from rivers, the run off alone wouldnt keep it at any level.  3 sides run DOWN from the reservoir.  river feeds were part of the original design.  now they have added new supplies.  thats why even now, with no rain, we see sudden rises.  

4 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

it was alwasy fed from rivers, the run off alone wouldnt keep it at any level.  3 sides run DOWN from the reservoir.  river feeds were part of the original design.  now they have added new supplies.  thats why even now, with no rain, we see sudden rises.  

By runoff I meant all sources that feed surface water into the reservoir. If Pattaya's water needs are being met by water piped in from other places, rather than the reservoir, then I would expect the reservoir level would increase if it is not being used to supply water to Pattaya.

Edited to add: My last photo update was from Nov 11th, so the comparison between the two photo updates would represent the rainfall that occurred over the last one and half months, less any water drawn from the reservoir.

Edited by forcebwithu

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

By runoff I meant all sources that feed surface water into the reservoir. If Pattaya's water needs are being met by water piped in from other places, rather than the reservoir, then I would expect the reservoir level would increase if it is not being used to supply water to Pattaya.

Edited to add: My last photo update was from Nov 11th, so the comparison between the two photo updates would represent the rainfall that occurred over the last one and half months, less any water drawn from the reservoir.

normally I agree with you.  but a few weeks ago it had a sudden rise. and has been rising since.  we have had no rain for a while.  it is fed mainly from a river over chachensao and sri ratcha way, and now with new supply which may or may not be finished,

the only surface water tat could feed it is from the oasis to the corner about half a click after pong hall.  rest iruns in the wrong direction.  having lived here for over a decade, we havce seen it suddenly fill quite often.  i am amzed this year tho as a few weeks ago, when it was raining, it was dead low still

• Great Info 1

I was curious to see if there was any evidence at Mabprachan of them pumping water into the reservoir. So since it was a nice morning for a bike ride I used my mtn bike to ride the back trails into the pumping station. The destination of the pumping station was based on the assumption if they're going to pump water into the reservoir, that would be the logical place to do it. Looking at the pipes going into the pumping station didn't see anything new.

P1050015

No changes that I could see on the exterior of the pump house either. But they could have done work on the interior and they could be using the existing pipes to bring water into the pumping station. I could hear the pumps running, but no obvious current in the water around the pump house to tell if the water was coming or going. Could also be they're only pumping water into the reservoir when there's a surplus elsewhere.

P1050016

P1050020P1050021

P1050008P1050002

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

5 Pattaya-Chonburi reservoirs to be expanded

Capacity of five Chonburi reservoirs will be expanded to capture more water for use in Pattaya and vicinity.

Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome said March 9 that the East Watershed Commission has added the Bangphra, Nong Kho, Mabprachan and Chaknok reservoirs to the list of lakes to be enlarged and deepened to hold more water.

Mabfukthong Reservoir was already on the list and expansion of that lake and Bangphra already is underway. Nong Kho will be next, followed by Chaknok and Mabprachan, Sonthaya said.

In addition, a new pipeline will be laid between Chonburi and Rayong to bring more raw water to the Pattaya area for processing, he added.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Almost three months since the last update. I was worried Huai Chak Nok Reservoir would be closed due to the latest round of Covid restrictions, but luckily that proved not to be the case.

Not easy to see in this pic, but on the west end they're building a structure.
P7240002.jpg

P7240008_stitch.jpg

P7240013_stitch.jpg

P7240018.jpg

P7240020.jpg

Don't know what they're doing here. Enlarging the capacity of the reservoir maybe.
P7240036.jpg

P7240037.jpg

Perhaps this sign explains the project.
P7240041.jpg

P7240042.jpg

P7240045_stitch.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Great Info 1

On 5/4/2021 at 1:12 PM, thegrogmonster said:

The missus says there is 1,000 baht available if you have the spare time to give the place a mow.

On today's ride I brought a gasoline powered string cutter to do battle with the jungle on your land. But when I saw how much it had grown I decided to wait until next dry season when it'll be easier to just torch the mess. :default_biggrin:

P7240028.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

On today's ride I brought a gasoline powered string cutter to do battle with the jungle on your land. But when I saw how much it had grown I decided to wait until next dry season when it'll be easier to just torch the mess. :default_biggrin:

P7240028.jpg

I think the money I am paying for the upkeep of the land is being misappropriated.

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 6:43 PM, forcebwithu said:

P7240028.jpg

We had to put up a fence to try and stop rubbish being dumped on our land.

239356834_4428295210598409_1399068158715491022_n.jpg

On 7/24/2021 at 12:19 PM, Happy Man said:

Appears the water levels have increased over the last few months due to all the rain we have been getting. Great job and thank you for the reports. Keep them comming....

And there's no one in Pattaya to use it ... 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 12:43 AM, thegrogmonster said:

We had to put up a fence to try and stop rubbish being dumped on our land.

239356834_4428295210598409_1399068158715491022_n.jpg

Had a good chuckle when I saw your fence from a different angle this morning. Looks like a gate won't be needed after all. Not sure how that's going to keep them from dumping rubbish on your land. Is your land half the empty plot?

P9060026.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu