Jump to content
forcebwithu

Shrinking Pattaya Reservoirs

Recommended Posts

 a few years ago we went to a bbq out onthelake, as in the middle. people could walk across it too.  the other pattaya ressies are the same too.  bear in mind that mapbrachan is fed from river thru 100 kms of pipe, but those rivers are more or less dry too.  there will for sure be a drought next dry season, no chance of anything else.  

 

living close by our water comes from bore holes but that doesnt make it so much better as the water table is already low

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been predicting water rationing for Pattaya for several weeks now.

The rainy season was largely a non-event this year and it does not return again for the best part of 5 months.

Another concern will be wild fires breaking out. On my long drive back last Thursday I noticed several in the distance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jambo said:

I have been predicting water rationing for Pattaya for several weeks now.

The rainy season was largely a non-event this year and it does not return again for the best part of 5 months.

Another concern will be wild fires breaking out. On my long drive back last Thursday I noticed several in the distance.

the lakeside was afire on sunday in many places, seeing the fire br4igade called out to it too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tommy dee said:

the lakeside was afire on sunday in many places, seeing the fire br4igade called out to it too

When I was riding the trails through the woods on the north side of the reservoir I came across a couple of still smoking, fresh burn areas. Since they were close to where Thais were camped out I assume they were purposely set.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update.

If you are out and about and in the area could you take some photos of the water level in Lake Chark Nok. We have 1 rai of land there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Thanks for the update.

If you are out and about and in the area could you take some photos of the water level in Lake Chark Nok. We have 1 rai of land there.

I had it in the back of my mind to do just that in the next couple of days. What side of the lake is your land? I'll make a point to get some pics of that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I had it in the back of my mind to do just that in the next couple of days. What side of the lake is your land? I'll make a point to get some pics of that area.

Thanks for that.

The land is on the southern end, We are the vacant land between the newly paved road on the lake and the Kombat Group.

Pattaya.jpg

Edited by thegrogmonster
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

It's been two weeks and two days since the last update, so hopped on my bike and had a very enjoyable ride this morning around what remains of Mabprachan Reservoir.

Starting again on the southwest side.
49277132681_59559bd117_b.jpg

More spots that were previously underwater are now exposed.
49277132581_69c2ae6812_b.jpg

Wish they would mount a water level gage to this structure. I'm estimating the water is down another 1/2 meter or so since the last update.
49276665078_a7f31389f0_b.jpg

49277334867_d51a2b030c_b.jpg

I wonder how much longer it will be before this guy can walk to his fishing camp.
49277133161_015291525e_b.jpg

They're now having to pump water from the low spots.
49277334682_35953d90a1_b.jpg

49277132691_0c23e7862b_b.jpg

Another couple of weeks and there will be no need for a bridge over this channel.
49277133066_ed1ba69937_b.jpg

A babbling brook in the middle of what was once a lake.
49277334632_3d5a5c622a_b.jpg

49276664953_67fcde11a7_b.jpg

The island is now a peninsula.
49276664858_29cc95001e_b.jpg

49277132936_6239be63c3_b.jpg

On the north end looking south.
49276664773_88a057dc8a_b.jpg

Fishing is a lot easier when they fish are trapped in what remains of the water on the north end.
49277334427_716bbc4256_b.jpg

Mabprachan is fast becoming a lush meadow. Can't really call it "lush" as the dominant flora are thorn bushes.
49277132841_1b7c9abb04_b.jpg

A bit of a technical ride to get out to the far end of this exposed rock outcropping.
49276664633_5d16eba786_b.jpg

Had to ride over a lot of broken shells and gnarly rocks to get to the far end, but this was the view looking back.
49277334397_9cf59dbd73_b.jpg

And the view towards the dam at the west end of the reservoir.
49276664623_c9ff462c47_b.jpg

49276664463_27ed599b09_b.jpg

Now back at the southwest side. I see they've closed off the channel into the pond within a lake and are now having to pump water into the pond.
49276664608_b983e2a76c_b.jpg

49277334287_905f17a7bb_b.jpg

At the rate the water level is dropping it doesn't bode well for the Pattaya area in the coming months. As the next rainy season is a long way off, I expect we'll see severe water rationing measures to conserve what little remains of the water supply.

And yet Songkran will still go ahead regardless of the situation with the lack of water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to the pipework that was laid to bring water in from elsewhere?

Or am I imagining that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Painter said:

What happened to the pipework that was laid to bring water in from elsewhere?

Or am I imagining that?

it runs to various sources, all of which are dry too.  hence no flow.  same at chachensao.

  • Great Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and its years too late for desalination plants to be built.  which would at least cover showers and gardens and household stuff, obviously not cooking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tommy dee said:

and its years too late for desalination plants to be built.  which would at least cover showers and gardens and household stuff, obviously not cooking

Proper desalination plants will deliver potable water, so will also cover cooking.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are barge desalination plants they use during disasters. Years ago when Kuai was hit by hurricane, the US Navy parked a nuclear submarine to provide desalinated water. Maybe couple of Navy ships could provide water to Pattaya.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder why the authorities aren't taking the opportunity to deepen the reservoir?

Also I have heard that the smell of dead mussels etc. isn't very pleasant.

Edited by karon steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tommy dee said:

and its years too late for desalination plants to be built.  which would at least cover showers and gardens and household stuff, obviously not cooking

Perth Western Australia gets most of its water supply from desal plants. 

I hate having to waste drinking water to keep the grass green(ish) but my lease requires it.

  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 3:10 PM, tommy dee said:

 a few years ago we went to a bbq out onthelake, as in the middle. people could walk across it too.  the other pattaya ressies are the same too.  bear in mind that mapbrachan is fed from river thru 100 kms of pipe, but those rivers are more or less dry too.  there will for sure be a drought next dry season, no chance of anything else.  

 

living close by our water comes from bore holes but that doesnt make it so much better as the water table is already low

I also have  a bore hole water supply its never failed to supply water however I am considering installing a large water tank as a backup.

I live in a house in Soi K9 Huay Yai and there is no government water line here.

JDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JDM said:

I also have  a bore hole water supply its never failed to supply water however I am considering installing a large water tank as a backup.

I live in a house in Soi K9 Huay Yai and there is no government water line here.

JDM

i just bought tanks yesterday  matey.  suggest u buy now.  our regualr builders yard was 3100 for a 1000 litre tank.. others are asking 4500 and i reckon they will b asking more soon.  as longas you have a pump all u need is a 300  banht HD ballcock, the rest is simple piping.  doin one tomorrow as a prototype

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made it out to Huai Chak Nok Reservoir today. Water level is looking pretty dire there too. Here's the view from the dam end on the NW side.
49285557106_90f7f1be0f_b.jpg

49285770487_99b6589b23_b.jpg

Close up of the outflow structure to use as a benchmark for the water level.
49285770462_c3a3725a15_b.jpg

A lot of what was once under water on the south end of the dam is now dry.
49285770357_da3376ab4c_b.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the satellite view of the reservoir with a maker of where the above pic was taken. Image is from Nov, 2018 and gives an idea of how far the water has receded.
49285635476_14000ec029_b.jpg

49285557906_c4ec43c82b_b.jpg

They have pumps going to move trapped water on the south end into what remains of the reservoir.
49285557851_be2903aff2_b.jpg

It's going to be quite a while before this overflow outlet will be needed again.
49285770227_07fe4dc607_b.jpg

49285557656_8498c87b62_b.jpg

@thegrogmonster, is this your land? If so, somebody stole all your cassava.
49285082623_e389833e29_b.jpg

And this is the view now from your "waterfront" property.
49285082543_ae0a274aa7_b.jpg

A bit of hike from this side of the reservoir to get to the water's edge.
49285557536_8e32a0f3c3_b.jpg

The cows are enjoying their new pasture land.
49285557251_8ae7cea3e0_b.jpg

The view from the north end looking south towards the dam in the far distance.
49285082428_5df6064a31_b.jpg

And on the other side of the road, looking north.
49285557406_60a73668ae_b.jpg

Easy pickings for the fishermen.
49285082328_955f553570_b.jpg

Side note: I've edited the topic title to reflect that posts here cover all the shrinking water sources for Pattaya.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

@thegrogmonster, is this your land? If so, somebody stole all your cassava.
49285082623_e389833e29_b.jpg

 

Thanks very much for taking the time to go out there and take some photos. I have never seen the water level that low here.

You were very close to our land just a couple of blocks to the east. Land shown by red star on this photo.

Pattaya land.jpg

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could I please ask, what measures do the authorities normally take to address water shortages.  When was the last time these type of measures were necessary?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, john luke said:

Could I please ask, what measures do the authorities normally take to address water shortages.  When was the last time these type of measures were necessary?

Thanks.

5 or 6 yrs ago,  water pressure was reduced then water supplies altenrate days,  but this year is expected to be worst in memory.  so god knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, john luke said:

Could I please ask, what measures do the authorities normally take to address water shortages.  When was the last time these type of measures were necessary?

Thanks.

Wet wipes on Soi 6 😜

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...