Cricket

coxyhog

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

That's white ball stuff. Think they have lost the Test Match mentality. Can't build an innings.

......on the cusp of losing their 5th straight cricket test series.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Painter said:

The Painter Prediction.... time for numbers 10 and 11 to rescue us again with the bat!

Then they'll step up, and take 5 wickets each, and we'll win by 2 runs.

Unfortunately I have been known to be wrong...

Ok, so I failed with part one of this prediction.

Surely I can't be wrong with the 2nd part?!!

16 hours ago, Painter said:

Will Root remain as captain?  Who can replace him?

Looks like the red ball reset needs, er, resetting....

Stokes for me. Got the bollocks to kick arse when things are going badly.

On another note,IPL started this weekend. Watched a couple of games so far, both been down to the wire. Brilliant.

If I may - as an Aussie - say what is 'wrong' with English cricket.   Answer - the same thing as English Football.

The EPL is all about making money for the Clubs, not making players to play for England.

County Cricket is all about the County cricket clubs, not about making players to play for England.

I can assure you, having been involved in it myself, the main reason all cricket competitions exist in Australia is to identify and develop players for the Australian Team.  Period. End of. That my friends is exactly how all the Rugby competitions in NZ are structured and managed too - for only that one reason.  And that is why, over time, Australia is the best cricket team in the World, and the All Blacks are the best Rugby team in the World. 

Let me give you Pommies another tip.  Batsmen do not 'make' Bowlers - it is bowlers that make batsmen. You cannot identify and develop world class batsmen, when the wickets are all 'easy' for the bowlers, and the bowlers are  bowling too many overs in too many games..  You have got to closely watch the talented young fast bowlers and both protect and develop them at a National level - leave them with the local Clubs and Tymal Mills is what happens. Imagine if you had a fit and strong Tymal Mills and Jofra Archer who were correctly developed and only bowled when and at who the National people wanted them to - that is how you identify world class batsmen. Otherwise all you tend to get is good lookers who smash average bowlers, but who fail under the big test against world class bowlers.  That is how we identified Ponting, Smith, Border, Waughs, etc etc etc. when they were 15-17.  And that is why so many batsmen from Sth Africa do well in the England side - they were identified and developed properly.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, AussieBob said:

If I may - as an Aussie - say what is 'wrong' with English cricket.   Answer - the same thing as English Football.

The EPL is all about making money for the Clubs, not making players to play for England.

County Cricket is all about the County cricket clubs, not about making players to play for England.

I can assure you, having been involved in it myself, the main reason all cricket competitions exist in Australia is to identify and develop players for the Australian Team.  Period. End of. That my friends is exactly how all the Rugby competitions in NZ are structured and managed too - for only that one reason.  And that is why, over time, Australia is the best cricket team in the World, and the All Blacks are the best Rugby team in the World. 

Let me give you Pommies another tip.  Batsmen do not 'make' Bowlers - it is bowlers that make batsmen. You cannot identify and develop world class batsmen, when the wickets are all 'easy' for the bowlers, and the bowlers are  bowling too many overs in too many games..  You have got to closely watch the talented young fast bowlers and both protect and develop them at a National level - leave them with the local Clubs and Tymal Mills is what happens. Imagine if you had a fit and strong Tymal Mills and Jofra Archer who were correctly developed and only bowled when and at who the National people wanted them to - that is how you identify world class batsmen. Otherwise all you tend to get is good lookers who smash average bowlers, but who fail under the big test against world class bowlers.  That is how we identified Ponting, Smith, Border, Waughs, etc etc etc. when they were 15-17.  And that is why so many batsmen from Sth Africa do well in the England side - they were identified and developed properly.  

Some great points there.

County Cricket teams make their money from the white ball game and hosting International matches. It's why the County Championship games get played outside the peak weather months, to keep the best weather season for the money making white ball and Test matches.

And it's showing in the red ball game. Lucky if a County game lasts 3 days never mind the reduced 4 days. Weather gives the bowler advantage, even the average trundler.

Never gonna get a decent batting side as they are only playing in bowler friendly conditions.

Mill's and Archer, while both have talent,are unfortunately fragile so will never be able to replace Broad and Anderson. Robinson also looks injury prone,Overton is okayish,and Woakes don't usually do well away.

We are in a dire mess basically. Very little in the way of batting or bowling in the red ball game.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

Some great points there.

County Cricket teams make their money from the white ball game and hosting International matches. It's why the County Championship games get played outside the peak weather months, to keep the best weather season for the money making white ball and Test matches.

And it's showing in the red ball game. Lucky if a County game lasts 3 days never mind the reduced 4 days. Weather gives the bowler advantage, even the average trundler.

Never gonna get a decent batting side as they are only playing in bowler friendly conditions.

Mill's and Archer, while both have talent,are unfortunately fragile so will never be able to replace Broad and Anderson. Robinson also looks injury prone,Overton is okayish,and Woakes don't usually do well away.

We are in a dire mess basically. Very little in the way of batting or bowling in the red ball game.

I once had a conversation with a England assistant coach at the U19 Nationals. He was in Aust doing a 'study tour'.  As he pointed out, the decline in England cricket was due to the lack of fast bowlers and the fact that any good young ones were not looked after like we did in Aust.  He reckoned what was needed to happen would never happen - the Counties would never give up their control. He was right and over 10 years later things are now even worse. Same EPL and he England team.

Many people dont realise that to win in Test cricket you must have world class batsmen.  Whenever Aust loses it is because of the batsmen failing - bowlers are easy to develop- Test batsmen are rare.  When Aust lost Smith and Warner for a few years we struggled.   The West Indies started to decline when their quality young athletes started playing basketball instead of cricket - without them average batsmen dominate - it takes serious class to deal with 140+K bowlers on flat wickets - you cant fake it like you can against 120K seamers - anyone with talent can hammer 120K bowlers on flat tracks. 

1 hour ago, Starshine said:

Congratulations to our women's cricket team, who after losing first three games have shown great tenacity by winning their last  five games to reach the  world cup final.

Great job by the ladies, put the men to shame for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Good finish to the Pakistan Vs Australia one dayer.

Great centuries for Babar and Imam.

Pakistan are getting stronger and stronger with batsmen like Babar, Imam and Rizwan and a strong bowling unit led by Shaheen and Rauf. 

• Thumbs Up 1