COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

I was in Bangkok last weekend and a mate we met there has been warned he may be quarantined due to being somewhere near the Sudanese diplomat's kid that has the virus.  No one's contacted me yet so I must be safe. 😉

Edited by KWA

20 hours ago, Bazle said:

I wonder if they can quote a source for the vaccine being rolled-out late next year!

The Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI) is predicting the hard-hit tourism sector will start to recover once a Covid-19 vaccine is rolled out late next year.

Really what's the point of this of declaration ? 

A vaccine arrives and the whole world goes back to normal ? 

Come on .....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/world/asia/coronavirus-thailand-photos.html

BANGKOK — No one knows exactly why Thailand has been spared.

Is it the social distancing embedded in Thai culture — the habit of greeting others with a wai, a prayer-like motion, rather than a full embrace — that has prevented the runaway transmission of the coronavirus here?

Did Thailand’s early adoption of face masks, combined with a robust health care system, blunt the virus’s impact? Was it the outdoor lifestyle of many Thais, or their relatively low rates of pre-existing conditions?

Is there a genetic component in which the immune systems of Thais and others in the Mekong River region are more resistant to the coronavirus? Or is it some alchemy of all these factors that has insulated this country of 70 million people?

One thing is certain. Despite an influx of foreign visitors early in the year from countries badly hit by the coronavirus, Thailand has recorded fewer than 3,240 cases and 58 deaths. As of Thursday, there had been no cases of local transmission for about seven weeks.

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Really what's the point of this of declaration ? 

A vaccine arrives and the whole world goes back to normal ? 

Come on .....

The tourism section will start to recover. No mention of normal.

In time, the world will recover and most things will be back to how they were, in phases most likely. 

A vaccine will play a major part in the recovery process.

A fully tested vaccine will put the brakes on any further pandemic outbreaks over a period of time as it is rolled out Country by country. 

Many of us on this forum would very much like to return to Thailand. Anything which makes that possible in the near future will be welcomed by a fair number of potential visitors in general and Thailand will certainly benefit from an increase in Tourism.

I would imagine that once a  or  several vaccines become available, then it may well be a prerequisite to be vaccinated before flying to all countries. No big deal. Appointment at doctors ,get a jab/s 6 weeks prior to flying. Get a signed certificate or some sort of verification, produce it at check-in or perhaps it could be entered on an electronic database like M.O.Ts, Tax and insurance are. 

None of this will probably happen until 2021 and I reckon maybe by 2022 we may be back to almost normal. During that time, I suspect places like Pattaya will change to some degree, so it will probably be a new normal without masks, social distancing and other current C19 restrictions.

A succesful vaccine could save billions of dollars in lost revenue and pay for itself many times over.

Unfortunately though,I suspect that many poorer countries will suffer longer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/world/asia/coronavirus-thailand-photos.html

BANGKOK — No one knows exactly why Thailand has been spared.

Is it the social distancing embedded in Thai culture — the habit of greeting others with a wai, a prayer-like motion, rather than a full embrace — that has prevented the runaway transmission of the coronavirus here?

Did Thailand’s early adoption of face masks, combined with a robust health care system, blunt the virus’s impact? Was it the outdoor lifestyle of many Thais, or their relatively low rates of pre-existing conditions?

Is there a genetic component in which the immune systems of Thais and others in the Mekong River region are more resistant to the coronavirus? Or is it some alchemy of all these factors that has insulated this country of 70 million people?

One thing is certain. Despite an influx of foreign visitors early in the year from countries badly hit by the coronavirus, Thailand has recorded fewer than 3,240 cases and 58 deaths. As of Thursday, there had been no cases of local transmission for about seven weeks.

It was Mr Forest being in Thailand telling them it's all a load of bollocks, get a grip ffs, what virus ...

Edited by Krapow

16 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

The tourism section will start to recover. No mention of normal.

In time, the world will recover and most things will be back to how they were, in phases most likely. 

A vaccine will play a major part in the recovery process.

A fully tested vaccine will put the brakes on any further pandemic outbreaks over a period of time as it is rolled out Country by country. 

Many of us on this forum would very much like to return to Thailand. Anything which makes that possible in the near future will be welcomed by a fair number of potential visitors in general and Thailand will certainly benefit from an increase in Tourism.

I would imagine that once a  or  several vaccines become available, then it may well be a prerequisite to be vaccinated before flying to all countries. No big deal. Appointment at doctors ,get a jab/s 6 weeks prior to flying. Get a signed certificate or some sort of verification, produce it at check-in or perhaps it could be entered on an electronic database like M.O.Ts, Tax and insurance are. 

None of this will probably happen until 2021 and I reckon maybe by 2022 we may be back to almost normal. During that time, I suspect places like Pattaya will change to some degree, so it will probably be a new normal without masks, social distancing and other current C19 restrictions.

A succesful vaccine could save billions of dollars in lost revenue and pay for itself many times over.

Unfortunately though,I suspect that many poorer countries will suffer longer. 

I had forgotten until your post jogged my memory that before I made my first trip to Thailand I had a whole series of jags for all sorts possible infections all free on the UK 's NHS.

I never considered not having them it was just common sense.

When a vaccine is available world wide I would have no problem in making vaccination compulsory for International Air travel. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

I had forgotten until your post jogged my memory that before I made my first trip to Thailand I had a whole series of jags for all sorts possible infections all free on the UK 's NHS.

I never considered not having them it was just common sense.

When a vaccine is available world wide I would have no problem in making vaccination compulsory for International Air travel. 

Yes, absolutely. I think the only difference is and was is that it was not compulsory and for ones own protection. I don't think any sort of document is available nor required for those inoculations

Coronavirus is a game changer and has spread rapidly around much of the globe and highly infectious.

I think it would be straight forward to set up a database with access only by NHS, UK Border Control etc. It could even be a mandatory requirement for passport renewal and application.

I presume, that like many vaccines, that it will have a limited lifetime and could be an annual inoculation/booster.

I know to some, that what I am writing might seem very authoritarian, well yes it is but for good reason. 

8 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1953916/95-say-no-foreigners-to-prevent-2nd-covid-wave-poll

Vast majority of Thais don't want foreigners back in the country due to fears of a 'second wave'. 

There wasn't even a first wave.... 

94% of Thais do not want foreigners to be allowed to enter this article says  ........................ 94% we are fcucked now for years and years ..............oh well has 17 great years visiting.

Do miss my family  and 3 kids massively however ............... words like BUGGER spring to mind.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I think it would be straight forward to set up a database with access only by NHS, UK Border Control etc. It could even be a mandatory requirement for passport renewal and application.

Are you fucking serious ? 

Go live in North Korea ! 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Are you fucking serious ? 

Go live in North Korea ! 

Perhaps you are unaware that there are dozens of National databases already in operation in many countries

In UK, to mention a few

UK Border Control

Department of Pensions and Benefits

Metropolitan Police

NHS

DVLA

HMRC

Customs and Excise

TV Licencing Department

etc,etc,etc,etc.................

And I am f*cking deadly serious. 

You will find that on entering Thai Immigration that they also have a Database on which they record arrival details and where undesirables can be flagged up, such as those banned from re entry.

Wake up to the present and future.

This is the Digital Age

2 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1953916/95-say-no-foreigners-to-prevent-2nd-covid-wave-poll

Vast majority of Thais don't want foreigners back in the country due to fears of a 'second wave'. 

There wasn't even a first wave.... 

I just read that, seems like another very biased poll, only 1459 or so people polled?.

Seems like the "poll" has about as much credence as a sick buffalo letter, but it makes a good headline so the Post will go with it, when in reality they're just pandering to what ever the Junta tells them to say.

7 minutes ago, Butch said:

I just read that, seems like another very biased poll, only 1459 or so people polled?.

Seems like the "poll" has about as much credence as a sick buffalo letter, but it makes a good headline so the Post will go with it, when in reality they're just pandering to what ever the Junta tells them to say.

I would imagine if the same Poll was conducted in Pattaya City that it would paint a very different story

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Krapow said:

If the anti Government protests keep up, 'Covid cases' will suddenly appear, blame will be proportioned, crackdown instigated, no flights for the foreseeable ...

Yes, there is that possibility too. These protests cropping up everywhere seem to be a kind of social virus on their own.

15 hours ago, nampla69 said:

94% of Thais do not want foreigners to be allowed to enter this article says  ........................ 94% we are fcucked now for years and years ..............oh well has 17 great years visiting.

Do miss my family  and 3 kids massively however ............... words like BUGGER spring to mind.

Me too!

My two daughters and my granddaughter have KLM flights booked for 4th September to visit me again. They have changed the dates twice already but this is the last possible date for them as my granddaughter starts Uni in September aiming to become a vet

I know their is no chance of them actually arriving then for reasons obvious to us living in Thailand but my oldest daughter refuses to give up hope. She never got over the so premature death of her Mother and although we speak and see one another every few days on the phone it is not the same.

I thought if they cannot get over then I would simply book a flight to visit them but I cannot do that as even if I could get a flight to the UK I cannot get back.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Krapow said:

If the anti Government protests keep up, 'Covid cases' will suddenly appear, blame will be proportioned, crackdown instigated, no flights for the foreseeable ...

Naah, the government will use the Covid excuse to crack down on this .....

4 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Hahaha, I didn't dare that one .....

Them Aussies when they say "lock up" they really mean it ! .....

I think the British government would just love to have databases as well joined-up as Australia's are, but fortunately they're utterly crap at delivering big IT projects.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Krapow said:

I just read an article in "The Nation" about this, although the protests are relatively small, they are springing up around the Country. My Thai politics isn't really up to much, but this isn't the same as the Yellow / Red shirts from a few years ago is it?.

We're now pushing into late July / August, I honestly can't see flights starting anytime soon, apart from the current repatriation ones of course. Some have mentioned October, but I reckon that will involve jumping through some fairly small and tight hoops. The GDP of Thailand is going to take a bit of a hiding this year, no doubt. No wonder people are getting edgy.

Edited by Butch

24 minutes ago, Butch said:

I just read an article in "The Nation" about this, although the protests are relatively small, they are springing up around the Country. My Thai politics isn't really up to much, but this isn't the same as the Yellow / Red shirts from a few years ago is it?.

We're now pushing into late July / August, I honestly can't see flights starting anytime soon, apart from the current repatriation ones of course. Some have mentioned October, but I reckon that will involve jumping through some fairly small and tight hoops. The GDP of Thailand is going to take a bit of a hiding this year, no doubt. No wonder people are getting edgy.

Don't think so, think it's more the younger generation, but not sure, haven't really read anything about bar it's happening. 

Yea, had been hoping for either November or January, but now kinda thinking July. Not really because of this, a few things, though it obviously could/would add to it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

Don't think so, think it's more the younger generation, but not sure, haven't really read anything about bar it's happening. 

Yea, had been hoping for either November or January, but now kinda thinking July. Not really because of this, a few things, though it obviously could/would add to it. 

I was thinking June / July as well. Good call. The problem is at this point in time, I'm reluctant to book or consider booking anything at all.