She Could Not Read

code_slayer_bkk

9 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I imagine you're pretty good at languages. JavaScript, C++, Assembler, COBOL, SQL... :default_cheers:

Back in the day it was all Assembler for me. Wrote shed-loads of it (and corrected just as much from my dummy colleagues . . 😉).

Used to love working in hexadecimal . . . 

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Back in the day it was all Assembler for me. Wrote shed-loads of it (and corrected just as much from my dummy colleagues . . 😉).

Used to love working in hexadecimal . . . 

Yea, that is all I used to write on big boxes ... but everything now is .Net with C# or C++ and just tons of SQL in big data warehouses with MDX ....

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Freee!! said:

On the AS/400 I like doing stuff in MI, scares the shit out of colleagues.

3 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Yea, that is all I used to write on big boxes ... but everything now is .Net with C# or C++ and just tons of SQL in big data warehouses with MDX ....

While the modern day languages are more powerful, it's a shitload easier to write code these days. I can remember writing Assembler that had to perform some pretty complex functions with only 8k, sometimes 16k of memory to handle it.

And don't get me going on the restriction of a maximum of 6 character filenames.

As for disk space, that was at a premium too, both for programming and physically moving them. I can remember the time when it was a real struggle to carry an 80mb disc drive. The disc packs were ok, but the drives themselves weighed a ton . . 😩

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, Britboy said:

While the modern day languages are more powerful, it's a shitload easier to write code these days. I can remember writing Assembler that had to perform some pretty complex functions with only 8k, sometimes 16k of memory to handle it.

And don't get me going on the restriction of a maximum of 6 character filenames.

As for disk space, that was at a premium too, both for programming and physically moving them. I can remember the time when it was a real struggle to carry an 80mb disc drive. The disc packs were ok, but the drives themselves weighed a ton . . 😩

you blokes just lost 90% of BMs on here, :default_071:

regards

grayray

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Britboy said:

It's fun to reminisce Grayray . . . 

Promise not to bore you any more with technical shit . . . . 😉

mate,just because I don't have a clue what your all talking about,i enjoy reading about my betters abilities,when I still use pedal power to power my puter its that old.

if I get any problems I get experts in,same as I do with my car.if you want someone disappeared I have a bloke or two,who know their way around that problem also.

shit!!! there is the first official lie of the day :default_biggrin:

regards

grayray

14 minutes ago, grayray said:

mate,just because I don't have a clue what your all talking about,i enjoy reading about my betters abilities,when I still use pedal power to power my puter its that old.

if I get any problems I get experts in,same as I do with my car.if you want someone disappeared I have a bloke or two,who know their way around that problem also.

shit!!! there is the first official lie of the day :default_biggrin:

regards

grayray

Just to show you a bit of what we are talking about, I'll give you an image of a disc pack:

220px-DysanRemovableDiskPack.agr.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Just to show you a bit of what we are talking about, I'll give you an image of a disc pack:

220px-DysanRemovableDiskPack.agr.jpg

That's the old 300 mb - can tell by the number of platters.

Here's the 80 mb drive itself with some packs on the top . . 

80 mb disc.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grayray said:

shit ! free, you could have instructions in big letters and I would still be clueless :default_1087:

regards

grayray

The discs in that disc pack have a 14 inch diameter. Disc packs were the earliest removable magnetic storage medium. By now you have something a lot smaller with lots more storage in your computer.

16 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

A great -  generous offer Bro .. but, no thanks  .... it is a tiny bit of baht .. I already looked into it ... 15K for an 8 week term ( 3 hours per day for 5 days ) ... I think that may get her some basics ... I will got to the school and enroll her September 7 ... then it is up to her !   Plus, the school is pretty close to where she lives ...

This is the first gal I have ever meet that admitted she could not read ... maybe there were others ... I don't know .... probably ... it is a pretty horrible thing to admit though ...

I am happy to help her -- and it is not for free pussy ...

I just don't understand .. in this day and age .. how people still cannot read .. it makes me a little sad to be honest ... as I said before .. we are lucky ...

It's crazy how little money amount can make such a difference if she sticks with it.

Illiteracy is on the increase in the UK which is kinda hard to comprehend. Basically poor white kids who take the gang route out of school. A guy I know ended up teaching a lot of them (early-mid 20's kids) when he was inside doing a stretch for a year or so recently. 

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Britboy said:

That's the old 300 mb - can tell by the number of platters.

Here's the 80 mb drive itself with some packs on the top . . 

80 mb disc.jpeg

free,

I brought a pack of Kodak cd-r 700mb discs around 3/4 years ago that are still sitting in the pack not used.

I just enjoy logging on and reading whatever takes my fancy that minute,my younger nephew he is a wizard around all this shit,but Iam too old, to want to learn,plus it would not stay in me head longer than minute or two

:default_deadhorse:

regards

grayray