Soi 15 Fire

forcebwithu

The green tracked excavator you see at the 00:30 mark is undoubtedly the culprit that started the fire. It was working to push construction barriers into the ground prior to excavating and probably hit the utility lines and power box shorting out the mess and starting the electrical fire. 

The same excavator was also responsible for accidently knocking down a couple of overhead business signs over the last several months too. 

Had a good chuckle to at the Thai worker that was rushing to put out the fire with a small pail of water (04:29). :default_biggrin:

And the fire dept that is only about 200m away sure took their sweet time getting to the fire.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

This is going to cost the contractor a lot more than the two business signs they previously knocked down.

Fire alarms tourists in Pattaya after excavator gets entangled with wires

Many people witnessed a fire that caught on cable wires on Soi Buakhao 15 in Pattaya around 3 PM today, October 19th.

The flames broke out after an excavator that was working on a drainage project on Soi Buakhao 15 got its arm entangled with the wires above it by accident, an eyewitness told The Pattaya News.

Tourists and residents fled the scene immediately, and there are no reports of injuries so far after the fire was put out by Pattaya firefighters. However, five cars that were parked near the fire were damaged including a black Toyota Yaris, a white Honda HRV, a bronze Toyota Yaris, a black Toyota Altis, and a white Honda Civic.

About 200 meters of incinerated communication wires were left at the scene, pending an investigation from Pattaya relevant officials.

Many businesses and homes also have no power as of press time.

40F9285E-C1CF-44D6-9422-50FF1051A883.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

Even more surprising when the fire station is only about 300mtrs away, just behind the Pattaya Hospital.

There had to be calls notifying the fire dept within seconds that a fire had broken out among the cluster of power lines. Whether a construction worker, passerby, vendor.....somebody.....to let them know and they should have responded much faster than they did. No excuse for such lackadaisical response time.

Edited by Mr. Smooth
  • Thumbs Up 2

This reminds me of one time many years ago while talking with a Canadian expat over a few beers. He said he would never live in any condo building above the 5th or 6th floor, no matter how gorgeous the view might be up on the 10th or 18th or 24th floor. When I asked him why, he said it's because the firefighters equipment, ladders and so forth, would only reach as high up as the 5th or 6th floor and that was it. If a fire broke out in the lower floors, then they might be able to limit the damage done and people could escape unharmed. But if it was high up, 15 or 20 floors or more, in some "Towering Inferno", scenario, you were basically f***d.

I would sure hope that the interior sprinkler systems in those buildings, especially the older ones, are inspected regularly and in good working order. I've never skydived and have no knowledge of how much elevation, at a minimum, is required in order to open a parachute for you to land safely on the ground below, but I would imagine if ever trying to escape from a high rise fire, even if taking a leap off the rooftop from 27 or 30 floors up, the velocity of the fall would have you go splat on the concrete below before that chute fully opens even if pulling the ripcord a millisecond after taking that leap.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

This reminds me of one time many years ago while talking with a Canadian expat over a few beers. He said he would never live in any condo building above the 5th or 6th floor, no matter how gorgeous the view might be up on the 10th or 18th or 24th floor. When I asked him why, he said it's because the firefighters equipment, ladders and so forth, would only reach as high up as the 5th or 6th floor and that was it. If a fire broke out in the lower floors, then they might be able to limit the damage done and people could escape unharmed. But if it was high up, 15 or 20 floors or more, in some "Towering Inferno", scenario, you were basically f***d.

I would sure hope that the interior sprinkler systems in those buildings, especially the older ones, are inspected regularly and in good working order. I've never skydived and have no knowledge of how much elevation, at a minimum, is required in order to open a parachute for you to land safely on the ground below, but I would imagine if ever trying to escape from a high rise fire, even if taking a leap off the rooftop from 27 or 30 floors up, the velocity of the fall would have you go splat on the concrete below before that chute fully opens even if pulling the ripcord a millisecond after taking that leap.

Base jumpers don't use a ripcord, but hold the pilot parachute in their hands. And depending on the floor height, somewhere above the 30th floor you have enough height for a base jump.

• Like 1