Passport checks - take care

LorLing

Having spent 3 weeks in the Bangkok IDC in 98 I can say that it is an extremely unpleasant experience!

I will add an extra warning:

The British Embassy only visited the IDC (At the time) One day a week. If that day falls on a UK National holiday (Mine was Easter but it could be Xmas!!!!!) then you won't be visited until the next scheduled visiting day the following week. If you are legal then you will sign permission for them to retrieve your passport from your accommodation......and will be released the NEXT visiting day...

Carry proof or suffer the consequences ..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, KWA said:

They were also in Walking Street and Soi Buakhao areas going by reports and will continue over the weekend.

I read the reports about walking st, hence I took the photos and was ready, just to let people know a laminated card or photo was accepted, and to give a first hand account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

21 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Good warning .... I've never carried my passport or even a copy / photo of it whilst in Thailand ... guess I will take a picture, just in case , next trip 

Hopefully you carried another form of ID on the off chance you were incapacitated while out. For that reason I've always carried a copy of my passport and medical insurance card. Originals stay at home.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Hopefully you carried another form of ID on the off chance you were incapacitated while out. For that reason I've always carried a copy of my passport and medical insurance card. Originals stay at home.

Yep. IMO a must. Have updated copies and insurance I.D. cards. Keep them in a plastic holder so they don't get trashed and unreadable. If asked present them in a respectable manner.

With insurance it's a good idea to keep updated files. And do regular checks on all of your coverage, etc. I am in the process of doing that now. I will also be giving copies of all my policies of the files to both my insurance agent and lawyer. They will have my updated info. on file if the time ever comes that I encounter a dispute and I am not in the best condition to argue with some administrative knob.

I have learned over the years when dealing with bank, insurance and government types that it is more likely than not you will encounter a situation or dispute. Being well prepared can make a huge difference between a simple process or a major disaster.

• Thumbs Up 2

I carried a laminated copy of the photo page and Visa stamp for 15 years and never asked to produce it once.

Had to produce my driving license loads of times including one amazing day when I was stopped three times on the Sukhumvit Road between the golf driving range in Pattaya and Bangsaray.

I recall the Police near Bangsaray road impressive motorbikes and called me "Sir". 🤣

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Yep. IMO a must. Have updated copies and insurance I.D. cards. Keep them in a plastic holder so they don't get trashed and unreadable. If asked present them in a respectable manner.

I have learned over the years when dealing with bank, insurance and government types that it is more likely than not you will encounter a situation or dispute. Being well prepared can make a huge difference between a simple process or a major disaster.

Yes, agree. I remember when I was taken aside for check once, and I thought the lovely police officer wanted to take a selfie since he waved me over and the other officer prepared his camera, so I placed my hand on his shoulder and smiled... guess that was the wrong approach 🤣 - I received a few Thai words from the sideline, and was ordered to stand at attention and show ID immediately!

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

So.....not to be ignorant or anything but......how about a Thai DL AND ID card? I have both that I carry with me. 

Probably not.....but will task wifey to get my passport on my phone etc. 

I have a "yellow book" too showing residence here. 

I got mine on my phone Mike but i also think we should have on our wifey's phone to, i don't always carry my phone when partying in Patts or Bangers.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

So.....not to be ignorant or anything but......how about a Thai DL AND ID card? I have both that I carry with me. 

I guess you do really know the answer to this one.

A DL, ID card and yellow book does not show if you have overstayed.

True, they have your passport number on your DL, up to them if they want to be difficult about it.

Very simple to take a pic of your passport front page.

I have a DL and I own property, I am not sure that will impress them when looking for overstay and asking for passport.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Yessongs said:

I think you are in better shape than most. But... to avoid any issues on the street I would recommend always carrying an updated copy of your passport front page and current visa stamp. 

The primary issue is having it upon your person when "on the street". If having it on your person and properly presented you avoid the chances of being detained until they can get the real passport. Which could lead to be detained, them coming to your home to obtain the document, etc. Things that any of us surely do not want to experience. 

I would carry copies both on the phone and in paper. Absolutely, especially now a days....

Some of these immigration enforcement guys will be top guys and reasonable, some may be looking for any reason whatsoever to f**k with somebody.

• Thumbs Up 3

15 hours ago, Pingrones said:

Yes, agree. I remember when I was taken aside for check once, and I thought the lovely police officer wanted to take a selfie since he waved me over and the other officer prepared his camera, so I placed my hand on his shoulder and smiled... guess that was the wrong approach 🤣 - I received a few Thai words from the sideline, and was ordered to stand at attention and show ID immediately!

Funny. Good story and underlines the point I was trying to make. Some of those guys are "sensitive" and some may be looking for any reason they can come up with to f**k with someone.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Pingrones said:

I just use the digital work permit through D-WP... it has all the necessary information, BiB just scan the QR-code, done.

Good idea. But sometimes phones may not work, out of charge, broken, lost, stolen....whatever. Always good to have the paper along with phone QR codes and pics.

Better than having to shit in a bucket in some filthy detention center.

• Thumbs Up 1