The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

I recall some discussing gout a while ago,not sure if it occurs in the hand but the medic on our boat seems to think I have gout at base of thumb,can't straighten it sometimes and when it does ,cracks,bloody painful at times while working,had it for about a week now,ibuprofen and painkillers from medic help a little,is there drugs available from pharmacy in Thailand? 

No chance of appointment in UK as will only be there 2 days before flying to Los,frigging doctors don't even take online consultation s at the moment,so hopefully pharmacy in Thailand can help,unless of course it clears up itself.

5 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

I recall some discussing gout a while ago,not sure if it occurs in the hand but the medic on our boat seems to think I have gout at base of thumb,can't straighten it sometimes and when it does ,cracks,bloody painful at times while working,had it for about a week now,ibuprofen and painkillers from medic help a little,is there drugs available from pharmacy in Thailand? 

No chance of appointment in UK as will only be there 2 days before flying to Los,frigging doctors don't even take online consultation s at the moment,so hopefully pharmacy in Thailand can help,unless of course it clears up itself.

Gout can occur in any joint although typically but not exclusively in joints of the foot. Need a blood test to measure serum uric acid levels to confirm.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Gout can occur in any joint although typically but not exclusively in joints of the foot. Need a blood test to measure serum uric acid levels to confirm.

Had some problems in left foot aswell but goes away after 10 minutes so not sure if related to gout,a blood test I shall hopefully get.

I used to buy Piroxicam for easing the pain of gout and it worked very well for me - you can get it at any pharmacy here in Thailand. Indomethacin is another gout pain reliever that didn't seem to work for me but does for others. Since I started taking allopurinol every day about twelve years ago, I haven't had a real gout attack since although I do have the occasional transient pain. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

I used to buy Piroxicam for easing the pain of gout and it worked very well for me - you can get it at any pharmacy here in Thailand. Indomethacin is another gout pain reliever that didn't seem to work for me but does for others. Since I started taking allopurinol every day about twelve years ago, I haven't had a real gout attack since although I do have the occasional transient pain. 

Allopurinol sounds pretty amazing,are there any side effects? 

19 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Allopurinol sounds pretty amazing,are there any side effects? 

There haven't been for me; before I started taking it I had had attacks of gout in my big toe, the ball of my foot and by far the worse my left knee, which I believe may have led to permanent damage as I have had that knee diagnosed with osteoarthritis.  Anyway, I'd get a doctor's opinion about it before taking it because you'll need a prescription in the west although it is readily and cheaply available at any pharmacy in Thailand. 

I should add that allopurinol is taken purely as a preventative measure - it won't alleviate any pain you are currently feeling from gout. 

Edited by maipenrai
added info
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

There haven't been for me; before I started taking it I had had attacks of gout in my big toe, the ball of my foot and by far the worse my left knee, which I believe may have led to permanent damage as I have had that knee diagnosed with osteoarthritis.  Anyway, I'd get a doctor's opinion about it before taking it because you'll need a prescription in the west although it is readily and cheaply available at any pharmacy in Thailand. 

I should add that allopurinol is taken purely as a preventative measure - it won't alleviate any pain you are currently feeling from gout. 

And you need to work up to the therapeutic dose or it can precipitate a flare.

• Great Info 1

3 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

I get it in my left foot, painful as hell, even more painful than when I broke my right ankle crashing a motorcycle.

I take cherry capsules from Holland and Barrett, and ever since, touch wood, I have not had a flare up, although not drinking and changing my diet has made a huge difference,

Google the foods that are bad for gout sufferers and you might be able to manage it by making a few changes to your diet.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

8 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

If you are heading to Hua Hin, get yourself to a doctor. I've had three recommendations for this place, from expats who've seen a doctor there/and/or had treatment there in the past few months

https://bewell.co.th/

Myself I was there 2 weeks back but at their dental clinic(it's upstairs on the same site)

Easy to get an appointment, very professional from first contact. As a guide on costs I had a check up, including an Xray as a new patient and  a clean up for 1500 baht. Doctor's English was first class.

• Great Info 2

9 hours ago, galenkia said:

I get it in my left foot, painful as hell, even more painful than when I broke my right ankle crashing a motorcycle.

I take cherry capsules from Holland and Barrett, and ever since, touch wood, I have not had a flare up, although not drinking and changing my diet has made a huge difference,

Google the foods that are bad for gout sufferers and you might be able to manage it by making a few changes 

Will add these cherry capsules to my list of supps,cheers pal.

4 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

If you are heading to Hua Hin, get yourself to a doctor. I've had three recommendations for this place, from expats who've seen a doctor there/and/or had treatment there in the past few months

https://bewell.co.th/

Myself I was there 2 weeks back but at their dental clinic(it's upstairs on the same site)

Easy to get an appointment, very professional from first contact. As a guide on costs I had a check up, including an Xray as a new patient and  a clean up for 1500 baht. Doctor's English was first class.

Heard about bewell clinic when looking into a problem last year with my foot,it cleared up so didn't go,see according to that link they have opened a clinic in hin lek fai so that's perfect,will make appointment in a few weeks,cheers pal.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, galenkia said:

Google the foods that are bad for gout sufferers and you might be able to manage it by making a few changes to your diet.

These ones ?,typing in the search bar cherry capsules it actually suggested cherry capsules for gout! 

Screenshot_20240128_182304_Chrome.jpg

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/28/2024 at 11:11 AM, Phantom51red said:

Try this shit. It helps. Also, inexpensive.

pain.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Try this shit. It helps. Also, inexpensive.

pain.jpg

Did fuk all for me. YMMV.

The problem with gout is that by the time you are old enough to experience it you are also old enough to be on a blood thinner like Apixaban thus the usual NSAID analgesic/anti-inflammatory drugs can cause internal bleeding problems.

image.png

https://www.abarcahealth.com/nsaids/

Edited by fygjam
  • Great Info 1

52 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Did fuk all for me. YMMV.

The problem with gout is that by the time you are old enough to experience it you are also old enough to be on a blood thinner like Apixaban thus the usual NSAID analgesic/anti-inflammatory drugs can cause internal bleeding problems.

image.png

https://www.abarcahealth.com/nsaids/

Sorry to hear that. And that must suck. 

Just had a 500 step stroll around the condo to get my steps up to 20,000 today - bit sad i know. Earlier managed a 2km run with no knee pain at all so will try to increase to 3km (5km is my ultimate target) Recently have had a few resting heart rate readings sub 50bpm which is encouraging. Aiming to have a beer as a reward on 9 Feb.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

I use generic "Stevia" as sweetner. Which helps substantially in reducing my daily sugar intact. And i minimize my intake of white rice and bread.

Yeah, I use a non sugar substitute in my coffee, plus don’t add sugar to cereals either.

Generally eat brown or whole meal bread, plus try to minimise white rice as well. Also only eat about two pieces of fruit per day.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Yeah, I use a non sugar substitute in my coffee, plus don’t add sugar to cereals either.

Generally eat brown or whole meal bread, plus try to minimise white rice as well. Also only eat about two pieces of fruit per day.

Avoiding sugar is not always easy. It is in just about everything. And, the number 1 threat to our physical health.

I like a good candy bar and some cookies just as much as anyone. But, I am very careful with it. 

The booze also, but I ain't giving that up completely. No way.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Avoiding sugar is not always easy. It is in just about everything. And, the number 1 threat to our physical health.

I like a good candy bar and some cookies just as much as anyone. But, I am very careful with it. 

The booze also, but I ain't giving that up completely. No way.

It’s why I generally avoid processed foods , as they have so much sugar, salt, bad fats etc.

Okay in small amounts, but it’s why people are so fat and unhealthy these days, too lazy to cook meals with fresh foods. Just live on ready meals and take aways.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Feck me I'm gonna have to totally change what I'm eating here now(at work)3 kiwi s,half a pineapple, tinned peaches and mandarins every day cos I'm thinking it's healthy! Plus sugary cereals and whatever cakes the Baker produced,,all free so not gonna be easy finding substitutes, canna winl.,fuckin oatcakes n crackers or some bland crap lol

17 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Feck me I'm gonna have to totally change what I'm eating here now(at work)3 kiwi s,half a pineapple, tinned peaches and mandarins every day cos I'm thinking it's healthy! Plus sugary cereals and whatever cakes the Baker produced,,all free so not gonna be easy finding substitutes, canna winl.,fuckin oatcakes n crackers or some bland crap lol

Yeah, a lot of people think eating a lot of fruit is healthy, but they are very sugary.

For example, a mango contains nearly 25 grams of sugar, an average size banana about 15 grams.

It’s fine in moderation, it’s why I only eat 2 pieces per day. People making fruit smoothies at home probably don’t realise how much sugar is in it.

Have always had an interest in nutrition and health , but not always practised what I preach.😀

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, galenkia said:

Yeah, a lot of people think eating a lot of fruit is healthy, but they are very sugary.

For example, a mango contains nearly 25 grams of sugar, an average size banana about 15 grams.

It’s fine in moderation, it’s why I only eat 2 pieces per day. People making fruit smoothies at home probably don’t realise how much sugar is in it.

Have always had an interest in nutrition and health , but not always practised what I preach.😀

Strawberries and raspberries are fine with low sugar content.

Its the double cream swamping them which fucks one up!

• Like 1