For BMs that fly Business Class ..

Stillearly

17 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Quoting a post @maipenrai made in another topic along with yours as it ties in to my thoughts on BC.

Like maipenrai I now find flying stressful, so BC and the perks that come with it go a long way to making travel less stressful. Same with shelling out for a private car service to and from the airport. One less cog in the wheel to getting me in the air and on my way to my destination.

Actually it's not the flying that I find stressful - I rather enjoy it once all the pre-boarding BS is taken care of;  it's all the preparation to get to the point of actual departure, all those details you have to take care of before leaving for a long holiday. Thankfully I live only ten minutes away from our airport and just get my house sitter to drop me off, and at the very far end I get picked up by a Thai private driver who I've been using for almost twenty years and consider to be a personal friend - I could get a taxi into BKK a lot cheaper but there's nothing like seeing her smiling face holding a card with my name on it when I finally clear baggage and customs and get out to Gate 3. 

As for business class, I've managed to fly it across the pond twice with EVA, once through their own upgrades and once through a points flight and loved it - years ago I made the decision to upgrade to Premium Economy on EVA and flew it for thirteen years before they temporarily interrupted that service from Vancouver but it's going again and I am booked for PE  on my upcoming trip - maybe I should check into an upgrade to business class because I'll probably never make as much money again as I did this year and perhaps I should spoil myself...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

15 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

As for business class, I've managed to fly it across the pond twice with EVA, once through their own upgrades and once through a points flight and loved it - years ago I made the decision to upgrade to Premium Economy on EVA and flew it for thirteen years before they temporarily interrupted that service from Vancouver but it's going again and I am booked for PE  on my upcoming trip - maybe I should check into an upgrade to business class because I'll probably never make as much money again as I did this year and perhaps I should spoil myself...

EVA have started offering you the chance to bid on upgrades 

Few years ago I shouted the young fella back to see his grandparents the trip from Sydney to Bangkok was on the a380 and they upgraded him to business class on my dollar  he was drunk most of the way 

On my frigging dollar and all my many trips iv never got a upgrade ( censored)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

Actually it's not the flying that I find stressful - I rather enjoy it once all the pre-boarding BS is taken care of;  it's all the preparation to get to the point of actual departure, all those details you have to take care of before leaving for a long holiday. Thankfully I live only ten minutes away from our airport and just get my house sitter to drop me off, and at the very far end I get picked up by a Thai private driver who I've been using for almost twenty years and consider to be a personal friend - I could get a taxi into BKK a lot cheaper but there's nothing like seeing her smiling face holding a card with my name on it when I finally clear baggage and customs and get out to Gate 3. 

Or, save the $4k or so and upgrade your accommodations. Bangkok is a steal for 5-star hotels compared to most of North America.

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

EVA have started offering you the chance to bid on upgrades 

I just checked on this and the long leg of my trip is not eligible, so I guess it'll be PE all the way.

19 minutes ago, Trip said:

Or, save the $4k or so and upgrade your accommodations. Bangkok is a steal for 5-star hotels compared to most of North America.

Yes, I usually stay in 4 star places in BKK and agree.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I would agree with you as a single man, but when taking the family on holiday (wife, daughter in my case), cattle class will have to do. I did do business last trip on Finnair and would do again but will be a while yet.

When I worked for BA I travelled business or first all the time, especially when I was the BA Manager in Brunei and Malaysia, but there is also something satisfying when traveling in economy with family when actually paying for the ticket as opposed to getting it gratis.

I'm supposed to take the GF back with me one of these trips to meet the family in South Wales. At today's prices, the cost of us both flying in BC is a bit too much, plus she's small and has never flown before so would have no idea just how nice BC really is. One option is for me to fly BC as usual, and to stick her in economy. Don't knock it, free food and drink and a TV screen in the back of the seat in front of you, what's not to like if you've never flown before? The other, more democratic option is for us both to fly in Premium Economy with, say EVA. But then I'd be missing the champagne and flat bed and all the other perks beyond the curtain in BC, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Butch said:

The issue nowadays is that due to the huge increase in fares we've seen recently, flying a family of (in my case) 3 Singapore Airlines to the PI , BC will cost in April , as I've just checked, £16108.87

Whatever way you look at it, that's a serious chunk of cash which while I could afford, I can't justify spending.

While I am still working I won't pay for business class as if I can afford to fly BC I shouldn't be working. Once I retire I believe I should be financial enough to fly business class.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2