Did I nearly get ripped off or scammed for THB32k?

Butch

Always better to be cautious where money is concerned , if something doesn't smell right avoid it 👍

I've had a couple of instances recently with future hotel bookings in Pattaya and Bangkok , all booked through Booking.com ( sister company of Agoda ) ... I have been contacted by the hotel via Booking.com to say there is a problem with my reservation and I need to reconfirm the credit card details or my reservation would be cancelled ...

both times I ignored the message and I found a separate reservation email address for the hotel and a separate Booking.com address and let them know what had happened...

and both times I have received apologies and emails ( from hotel and booking.com ) advising to ignore the messages I received... 

they looked so plausible and real , I could have easily fallen for them 

but I haven't received any explanation of what had happened whether it was a rogue staff member at Booking or the hotels 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Last June I tried booking through Agoda and was contacted by the hotel to confirm because they'd been getting a lot of no-show bookings from them.  Not a scam because it was pay on arrival. 

This month I booked the same hotel directly through email, again pay on arrival.  I wonder if something at Agoda (and therefore all the other online booking companies they've acquired) has broken down?  I used them for years with no problem.

19 hours ago, tko said:

Last June I tried booking through Agoda and was contacted by the hotel to confirm because they'd been getting a lot of no-show bookings from them.  Not a scam because it was pay on arrival. 

This month I booked the same hotel directly through email, again pay on arrival.  I wonder if something at Agoda (and therefore all the other online booking companies they've acquired) has broken down?  I used them for years with no problem.

16 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Hotel booking sites are one of my least favorite tech apps. Dreadful

I regularly book through Agoda/Booking.com/Hotel direct and have never had a problem, i use my UK credit card.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I regularly book through Agoda/Booking.com/Hotel direct and have never had a problem, i use my UK credit card.

Same here Cliff, I always take the option too of "pay when you arrive" just to hold the booking with a credit card. Like Phuket coming up over the holidays, I used "Booking.Com" as I am now at " level 2 genius" status. Never had a problem either but...you never know. Called the hotel directly and all is well. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

4 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Same here Cliff, I always take the option too of "pay when you arrive" just to hold the booking with a credit card. Like Phuket coming up over the holidays, I used "Booking.Com" as I am now at " level 2 genius" status. Never had a problem either but...you never know. Called the hotel directly and all is well. 

I too use Booking.com almost exclusively these days unless going directly gives a better price. On accasions it's Agoda where Booking hasn't got the hotel listed or is sold out.

9 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I too use Booking.com almost exclusively these days unless going directly gives a better price. On accasions it's Agoda where Booking hasn't got the hotel listed or is sold out.

BINGO, i just clear my cache and then compare the pricing of all three then just book the cheapest, works for me, after all said and done its the same hotel and room, why pay more ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have only been scammed once in Thailand....................twice if you count Lek running off with my Yamaha.

I booked two return flights to the UK for Sai and I at a total cost of 70K baht at a travel agent in Pattaya Tai used several times previously. Received what appeared to be all the correct booking documentation.

Visited a week or so later expecting to collect the flight tickets themselves to find the shop shut. For good, as it turned out. They took my money knowing full well they were going out of business.

Since then I have always booked flights direct with the Airline.

• Sad 5

I've had a good few days to reflect upon this.

Still not sure what is going on, and I will mention it when I get there next year.

Ultimately I could have kept my Agoda booking in the system and left it at that, but I thought that booking directly and getting the room I wanted as they suggested plus the free breakfast (which is crap) swung it.

Luckily my friend went in, and one could ask why I didn't ask him to do it in the first place. The reason is that I don't like to bother people too much and I didn't want to commit him to doing something, especially when he's busy enough as it is. 

it's certainly given me a kick up the arse. I know that scammers are sophisticated, so if anything it's made me extra vigilant in my own personal "bubble" at home. I've been sent on software, hardware and physical security courses at work but in some ways it's probably given me a false sense of security, thinking that I'm armed with the knowledge when in fact the opposite is true. It's one thing to lock up expensive equipment, have 2 stage RFID entry into areas and change passwords at work, but regardless of all that, I almost handed over 32k baht to a stranger on the promise of getting a decent hotel room and a free breakfast.

Phew. I need a beer.

Edited by Butch
  • Thumbs Up 4

40 minutes ago, Butch said:

I've had a good few days to reflect upon this.

Still not sure what is going on, and I will mention it when I get there next year.

Ultimately I could have kept my Agoda booking in the system and left it at that, but I thought that booking directly and getting the room I wanted as they suggested plus the free breakfast (which is crap) swung it.

Luckily my friend went in, and one could ask why I didn't ask him to do it in the first place. The reason is that I don't like to bother people too much and I didn't want to commit him to doing something, especially when he's busy enough as it is. 

it's certainly given me a kick up the arse. I know that scammers are sophisticated, so if anything it's made me extra vigilant in my own personal "bubble" at home. I've been sent on software, hardware and physical security courses at work but in some ways it's probably given me a false sense of security, thinking that I'm armed with the knowledge when in fact the opposite is true. It's one thing to lock up expensive equipment, have 2 stage RFID entry into areas and change passwords at work, but regardless of all that, I almost handed over 32k baht to a stranger on the promise of getting a decent hotel room and a free breakfast.

Phew. I need a beer.

Non of us are infallible, we like to pride ourselves as being savvy, but sometimes the most innocent thing can catch us out when we least expect it.

At least you caught it and shared your experience for us all to learn from.

The same scam was doing the rounds during covid with some of the SHA hotel bookings.

I still believe it is an inside job!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2