The UK's NHS - Can you believe this?

Jambo

When I went for my Hip Replacement Pre-Op meeting at the Royal Hospital I was given an 81 page NHS booklet full of useful information. Of particular help to me was all the various exercises one must undertake to ensure a full recovery.

The final two pages was full of "Useful telephone numbers" one of which was entitled 'OT Equipment Return." That has relevance to me as I left the hospital on discharge using a pair of NHS issue walking sticks that looked brand new.

I had already purchased myself a set of extended walking sticks that go halfway up ones arms and a walking frame. Neither of these have been used so I intended to donate those to the Royal Hospital at the same time I returned  their standard walking sticks.

I telephoned the number with a view to arranging a pick up of the items in question.

I explained to the guy who answered that I wished to return my pair of walking sticks to the Royal Hospital and donate some unused, brand new, equipment.

"No, you cannot do that we don't accept donations." says jobsworth.

"Why not?" says I "They are brand new and good quality."

"No,sorry." says jobsworth "We are not allowed to accept donations. I suggest you phone the Salvation Army."

"Well what about the two walking sticks I left using from the Royal Hospital?"

"What's your name and date of birth? asks jobsworth.

I give them to him and after a short while he says:

"Cannot find you listed in Edinburgh. Where do you live?

So I tell him and he says

"That's West Lothian. We don't deal with returns in West Lothian, only Edinburgh."

To which I respond with

"I walked out of The Royal Hospital with the walking sticks and the Royal is in Edinburgh."

Jobsworth responds

"To be quite honest mate if I was you I would give the whole lot to the Salvation Army."

"That is a crazy waste of money. Surely the NHS cannot afford to just give equipment away every time somebody is discharged from Hospital on crutches?"

"To be quite honest mate. I have worked for the NHS for 10 years and nothing surprises me any more!"

The inmates are in charge of the asylum moment.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Sad 3

Astonishingly many hospitals said they never requested it because it was cheaper to buy a new £12 pair of crutches than pay to maintain or clean existing ones.

Different hospitals adopt polar opposite policies regarding returns.

Some request patients bring aids back while others say the cost of cleaning and maintaining means there is no value in reusing them.

Some patients have said they are turned away when they try to recycle their old pieces of equipment.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/02/crutch-amnesty-nearly-80-never-returned-hospitals-8301711/#:~:text=Different hospitals adopt polar opposite,their old pieces of equipment.

4 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Different hospitals adopt polar opposite policies regarding returns.

Yup, When my Mum died we were finally able to return the massive hoard of stuff that she refused to return "because they might come in handy sometime"

She had both knees and both hips replaced and was treated on multiple occasions for falls by Bournemouth General and Poole General Hospitals so it has walking sticks, crutches, walkers, toilet supports.. effing loads of stuff.

They were very happy to come collect everything !!

I have to say whilst on the subject that, although Bournemouth was a bit of a "conveyor belt" Hospital, Poole General was bloody magnificent.

I'm not going to mention Car Park charges though ..... Oh, I just did !!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It might be about litigation as well, plus NHS Scotland is run differently than NHS England so has a few different policies.

Regarding equipment, if they give you new stuff out of the box and it fails, then you claim and need further surgery etc, then it's purely upon the manufacturer for their failure in quality control.

Some trusts have a very active return policy and are very grateful for gear to be returned, it's then inspected and re used, but some don't, it varies from trust to trust.

also, let's use crutches as an example, there's the "backhander" policy. Let's say that one of the NHS Trusts, let's call it trust NHS Trust "X" has , on the board of Execs, one or more of them with an interest in the Equipment supply company, so puts through a request that crutches are not re used but disposed of.

It is a conflict of interest and it is actually (possibly) against the law and certainly against the contracts they signed up to, but that doesn't stop them. It's usually circumvented by way of extended family members.

Execs / Directors are allowed to consult for companies as well, this again is something that gets swept under the rug of Senior NHS corruption  Management.

It's shocking, poorly managed and terribly overweight as in, top heavy. Managers who are scared of saying anything slightly controversial in case it's construed as racist, as well as staff (at all levels)  playing the system and milking it dry.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

My mum is in hospital at the moment after a fourth fall in 2 weeks.I must say the hospital & the staff have improved immeasurably since my dad passed there in 2001.Although I did not appreciate a call at 1230am to tell me she had been moved to another ward👹.

The NHS is a bottomless moneypit that no government has any idea how to tackle.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I use to have sleep apnea and was given a CPAP machine, this was before covid and due to some weight loss I no longer need the machine. I tried to return it but was told they don't take them back.

This machine new was worth over £500!

I also have three pairs of crutches that I can't get rid of and this doesn't include a couple of pairs I gave to friends.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Jambo said:

When I went for my Hip Replacement Pre-Op meeting at the Royal Hospital I was given an 81 page NHS booklet full of useful information. Of particular help to me was all the various exercises one must undertake to ensure a full recovery.

The final two pages was full of "Useful telephone numbers" one of which was entitled 'OT Equipment Return." That has relevance to me as I left the hospital on discharge using a pair of NHS issue walking sticks that looked brand new.

I had already purchased myself a set of extended walking sticks that go halfway up ones arms and a walking frame. Neither of these have been used so I intended to donate those to the Royal Hospital at the same time I returned  their standard walking sticks.

I telephoned the number with a view to arranging a pick up of the items in question.

I explained to the guy who answered that I wished to return my pair of walking sticks to the Royal Hospital and donate some unused, brand new, equipment.

"No,sorry." says jobsworth "We are not allowed to accept donations. I suggest you phone the Salvation Army."

"That's West Lothian. We don't deal with returns in West Lothian, only Edinburgh."

To which I respond with

"I walked out of The Royal Hospital with the walking sticks and the Royal is in Edinburgh."

Jobsworth responds

"To be quite honest mate if I was you I would give the whole lot to the Salvation Army."

"That is a crazy waste of money. Surely the NHS cannot afford to just give equipment away every time somebody is discharged from Hospital on crutches?"

"To be quite honest mate. I have worked for the NHS for 10 years and nothing surprises me any more!"

Liability mate. The insurers won't allow it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2023 at 12:37 PM, Jambo said:

To which I respond with

Jobsworth responds

The rules of the NHS are crazy at times. My sister Jan has worked for them all her life and she says some of the waste of money is just ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Sad 2