The Shoe Taking Off "Thing"

Glasseye

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Considering how much crap that gets the sole of a shoe picks up, it makes for a much cleaner floor in the house when shoes are left at the door.

When I stayed at my son's house on my trip to UK I wore my ADDAS "Crocs" in the garden but slipped them off before entering the house even if only to grab another bottle of wine from the fridge..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

That is why as kids we never had our hands and mouths cleaned  whilst playing outside in the dirt and cowshit etc...To build up natural immunity .. 

One of George Carlin's best. Swimming in the shit filled Hudson River as a kid.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2024 at 7:33 PM, Derek Dangleberries said:

Totally agree with it in the house.

We always took our shoes off in the house... and muddy boots outside...

Back home as a boy we always took muddy boots off - football boots or wellies. But we didn't take shoes off, seems crazy now. In the summer the shoes would soon come off and we'd run around in socks, but in the winter in those days without central heating i think they stayed on longer. 

Now in asia it's a big decision when the car keys are out of reach on the dining table whether to risk a few steps with a potential glower from the wife or to take the shoes off again you've only just put on.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

No matter what age, in the 50s and 60s we all wore slippers in the house !!

This is a good discussion to continue with my brothers. I know the one in the UK with beautiful carpets would never allow shoes in his house.

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/feb/18/britains-filthy-footwear-habit-is-truly-shocking?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=17049530853804&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Flifeandstyle%2F2022%2Ffeb%2F18%2Fbritains-filthy-footwear-habit-is-truly-shocking

Edited by Zambo
Guardian link added
  • Great Info 1

As a Canadian, we were raised to always take off our shoes in our own and others' homes; mind you, this comes from a time when most people had their homes carpeted and it was comfy to walk around in socked feet; nowadays the trend is to have laminate flooring installed instead and I had this done in my own home a few years back and just put slippers on after I take off my outside shoes. Sometimes in summer I'll run in and out of the house without taking off my outside shoes, particularly if I have not cleaned the floor for a while but I don't do this in winter because of the snow I would track in.

When I visited my English cousins a few years back, their country home was all done in hard flooring and they wouldn't take off their outside shoes until bedtime - they'd sit around and watch TV with their shoes on. Same with American friends I stayed with in LA - shoes on until bedtime - seemed weird to me as I am much more comfortable with slippers on.

Massage shops, shoes off, no problem.

Soi 6, shoes off at the bottom of the stairs, no problem. (same with her panties - so I have something to look at when walking up the stairs behind her)

Temples, religious places, shoes off, no problem.

Hotel rooms and private homes, shoes off once I enter, no problem.

However I am a bit reluctant to take off my shoes at dentists, doctors, and offices, simply because it seems weird to me, but if they tell me to do it, then no problem.

Other shops, no, if they insist, I will just find another place to shop.

A pair of fluffy indoor house shoes are amazing on cold days.

galaxycat-kuschelige-kleine-katze-chi-hausschuhe-chi-s-sweet-home-slipper-hausschuh-kleine-katze-chi-pantoffeln.jpg

On 1/9/2024 at 6:33 PM, Derek Dangleberries said:

Totally agree with it in the house.

We always took our shoes off in the house... and muddy boots outside...

I agree with it in the house but I was in Kanchanaburi last year and an outside restaurant told us we had to remove our shoes we smiled and told them oh no we dont and went to the restaurant next door. This was a place that had a basic concrete floor no special tile work just concrete. I'm sure we're not the first customer they lost and won't be the last.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I agree with it in the house but I was in Kanchanaburi last year and an outside restaurant told us we had to remove our shoes we smiled and told them oh no we dont and went to the restaurant next door. This was a place that had a basic concrete floor no special tile work just concrete. I'm sure we're not the first customer they lost and won't be the last.

They knew where your shoes have been buddy.    :default_air_kiss: