UK RN Oops

coxyhog

It's been all over the media here in the UK,a Royal Navy minesweeper reversing into another one whilst trying to dock in Bahrain.

Now they're saying it had recently had a double engine replacement and the controls were wired up incorrectly....don't they do functional checks afterwards?

Whatever the case our rapidly shrinking navy just got a bit smaller.

The blue lines were 1990,the red ones today.

1647246158470.jpeg

PHOTO-2024-01-22-23-42-55.jpg

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 2

I chatted to my Dad about this incident yesterday, and he's finding it hard to fathom (pardon the pun) how it could have happened, as it appears to be very basic stuff which should have been picked up in testing.

We can no longer project any kind of strength anywhere in the world, and protecting our own shores is going to be impossible should we get invaded.

All down to successive Govts picking the low hanging fruit when it comes to cutting costs.

5 hours ago, Butch said:

I chatted to my Dad about this incident yesterday, and he's finding it hard to fathom (pardon the pun) how it could have happened, as it appears to be very basic stuff which should have been picked up in testing.

We can no longer project any kind of strength anywhere in the world, and protecting our own shores is going to be impossible should we get invaded.

All down to successive Govts picking the low hanging fruit when it comes to cutting costs.

Also the suicidal drive to net zero.

Port Talbot in Wales has just been devastated by the closure of their steelworks....so the steel will now be made in India or China.I thought it was GLOBAL warming?

At a time when NATO are predicting war with Russia in the next five years we have no premium steel manufacturing capability,the only G20 country unable to make steel from scratch.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/19/port-talbot-steelworks-blast-furnaces-to-close-costing-almost-3000-jobs-tata

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Also the suicidal drive to net zero.

Port Talbot in Wales has just been devastated by the closure of their steelworks....so the steel will now be made in India or China.I thought it was GLOBAL warming?

At a time when NATO are predicting war with Russia in the next five years we have no premium steel manufacturing capability,the only G20 country unable to make steel from scratch.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/19/port-talbot-steelworks-blast-furnaces-to-close-costing-almost-3000-jobs-tata

Gary Indiana, once the mecca of the steel industry throughout the 1900's, until around 1970. Gary went from being called "Magic City" to the "Muder Capital of the Country".

I grew up less than a 30 minute drive from there. I can remember driving by some of the shut down plants. Friggen rusted out behemoths. Never to come back.

The bean counters, politicians, techies destroyed the manufacturing base. Driving through various parts of the Midwest you could see shut down plants of all sorts - "The Rust Belt".

image.png

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Just watched an interesting piece on YT about previous U.S. invasion plans of Japan during WW II. They were estimating how many Allied casualties would likely occurr had they done so, it was over 1,000,000. 

During the planning stage General MacArthur (Chief of the Army invasion forces) and Admiral Nimitz (Chief of Naval Operations) were at each others throats throughout.  

Dog damn cluster fcuk is what it is. 

They piss away trillions on war equipment that just sits there while people can't even get a fcuking appointment to see a doctor. FFS !

On 1/24/2024 at 2:46 PM, Glasseye said:

They piss away trillions on war equipment that just sits there while people can't even get a fcuking appointment to see a doctor. FFS !

Our erstwhile RN just shot down a $20k drone with a £1-2m missile....

Each Sea Viper/Aster missile costs about £1m to £2m. Although the number of missiles fired is not yet clear, the one-way attack drones likely to have been used by the Houthis will have cost far less, with $20,000 frequently cited as the price for an Iranian Shaheed 136 drone and its variants.

On 1/23/2024 at 7:29 PM, Glasseye said:

The bean counters, politicians, techies destroyed the manufacturing base. Driving through various parts of the Midwest you could see shut down plants of all sorts - "The Rust Belt"

Dont forgett he Unions who drove costs up that made them not competitive.

1 hour ago, Mrmango said:

Dont forgett he Unions who drove costs up that made them not competitive.

In that case those Unions failed and should take a look across the Atlantic, most European Unions understand that part of their job is to make sure the members have a job.

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

In that case those Unions failed and should take a look across the Atlantic, most European Unions understand that part of their job is to make sure the members have a job.

You obviously don't have a clue hat the Unions ahve done to the US manufacturing industry.

6 minutes ago, Mrmango said:

You obviously don't have a clue hat the Unions ahve done to the US manufacturing industry.

I have a pretty good idea and judging by the end result it wasn't much good. 

On 1/29/2024 at 3:13 PM, Mrmango said:

What the Unions have done to, or done for the US manufacturing industry? 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mrmango said:

In general, made it not competitive, and drove it offshore.

The US economy is based on a high cost of living. The majority of people employed are employed in service industries such as wholesale, retail, accomodation and food services, medical and care. The expectation of people is to own expensive goods including new cars, go on holidays and enjoy the services available and to be looked after in sickness and health, get a great and expensive education. To be able to enjoy the success of the US economy the workforce need a good income and without the workforce having a good income the rest of the economy will collapse.

This all works well in isolation. But when the US economy tries to compete in manufacturing against an overseas low cost economy, for example Vietnam, the high cost of the US workforce will make US manufactured goods uncompetitive and the US corporations will relocate.

There is a balancing effect in that economys such as Vietnam are, by exporting and earning foreign currency, increasing their GDP. Vietnam is improving the working conditions and income of their own workforce and the manufacturing advantage is reducing.

My feeling is that governments and employers in the US taking on the care of the sick and old through pensions and welfare arrangements instead of families looking after their own will eventually break the system.