Solar system

SCOTTIEDAM

Anyone doing solar systems on your house/farm ? We have a 100 watt solar panel for each of the 2 wells on the farm, just to insure we have water when the electric cuts off,( usually once or twice a week ), but want to upgrade to a bigger system to get the whole house wired in. Any names of dealers, costs, you paid for yours ? pictures would be appreciated too, if ya have any.

THANKX !

I have several solar systems and have had them for about ten years. I didn't build them to save any money but for the reason that the electric grid here in the boonies sucks. Tho grid goes down  about every other day, it usually comes back on quickly but sometimes it is off for several hours, All the components have been very reliable. Over the years I doubt that there has been any savings on my electric bills. The main cost is replacing the VERY expensive lead acid deep cycle batteries. I am a Luddite and have avoided the Lithium batteries. One reason is that my components are not compatible with the new batteries. My small system that runs my computer system needed new batteries. This time I paid more the $500 US dollars for a  Lithium battery. It is a 200AH single battery that replaced two 200AH lead acid batteries. Since the lithium batteries can be discharged much deeper than the lead acid  batteries, I was hoping that the one new battery would carry the load. My hope proved correct. So as far as I am concerned, solar systems are not dead. Lead acid batteries are  dead. Anyone installing solar electric would do well to use Lithium batteries.

• Great Info 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/29/2024 at 9:37 PM, Gary said:

I have several solar systems and have had them for about ten years. I didn't build them to save any money but for the reason that the electric grid here in the boonies sucks. Tho grid goes down  about every other day, it usually comes back on quickly but sometimes it is off for several hours, All the components have been very reliable. Over the years I doubt that there has been any savings on my electric bills. The main cost is replacing the VERY expensive lead acid deep cycle batteries. I am a Luddite and have avoided the Lithium batteries. One reason is that my components are not compatible with the new batteries. My small system that runs my computer system needed new batteries. This time I paid more the $500 US dollars for a  Lithium battery. It is a 200AH single battery that replaced two 200AH lead acid batteries. Since the lithium batteries can be discharged much deeper than the lead acid  batteries, I was hoping that the one new battery would carry the load. My hope proved correct. So as far as I am concerned, solar systems are not dead. Lead acid batteries are  dead. Anyone installing solar electric would do well to use Lithium batteries.

Excellent info guy. Me and the Mrs. live in Thailand.

My 2024 budget is constrained by making a trip to the US, so that my Thai wife can meet my family and friends. Also so that I can see my grandchildren and my sons.

The 2025 budget has a major item of replacing our car. I will likely go with an EV. I am thinking that the MG5 might be a good choice given that we do not drive a lot and that I can put a charger into our car port without much effort.

I am starting to look into changing the house over to Solar as well. Just getting started with understanding that. We live in the South Bang Lamung Burbs and there are infrastructure interruptions similar to what you describe.

Any additional getting started info for home solar would be appreciated.

Just an update about my Lithium battery. After a couple months of using the lithium battery, I am beyond pleased. It easily replaced the two 200 AH lead acid batteries. I did have a difficult time replacing the charge controller. An MPPT is nearly a must to take advantage of the solar panels higher voltage. A good quality controller converts the extra voltage into useful amperage. Maybe they are too new for Thailand to stock them. I started with a PWM controller but it was no way efficient enough to charge the battery. It's a live and learn process. I encourage people with solar systems to forget lead acid batteries. Lead acid batteries are ancient history and I will never buy another one. In the long run lithium batteries are cheaper than deep cycle lead acid batteries. They do cost more than twice as much but one will replace two lead acid batteries and I think they will last longer.

• Great Info 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Like I said I am just getting started with understanding what it would take to outfit my home to support an EV charger as well as position the overall house to move toward solar. I am not looking to save money. I am looking to move toward a more environmentally conscious way of living.

I stumbled across this link that IMO has some interesting concepts.

https://deltathailand.com/en/products/Infrastructure/Energy/EV-Charging

I am not the handy guy type, but might be better categorized as semi-literate handy guy wanabee. 

hmm - sounds like the first thing I need to do is go talk to the overall property Management Association about what I am permitted to do.

Edited by ChiFlyer

A mate of mine down phuket way has just gone through this exercise the tesla sales people were rubbish took weeks to get back to him almost impossible to talk to tech people so he has gone with another co ( I think it was e solar ) and the sales lady got a fluent English speaking tech guy to  contact him and gave him good information and things he should plan for 

Plus their system is modular and more batteries just plug in you don't have the system down if you have to replace a unit like a battery and they have a 10 year warranty 

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Nickrock said:

A mate of mine down phuket way has just gone through this exercise the tesla sales people were rubbish took weeks to get back to him almost impossible to talk to tech people so he has gone with another co ( I think it was e solar ) and the sales lady got a fluent English speaking tech guy to  contact him and gave him good information and things he should plan for 

Plus their system is modular and more batteries just plug in you don't have the system down if you have to replace a unit like a battery and they have a 10 year warranty 

I am also discussing this with a mate of mine (also down Phuket way) who in conjunction with his Thai wife have led the design and implementation of a partial solar system for their condo complex in the South of Phuket. Very bright people. Me not so much.

The options are endless. A lot comes down to what one is permitted to do at their property from what I am hearing. I will likely need until 2025 to understand what I want to do. Should have paid better attention in Physics Classes I guess.

Edited by ChiFlyer