WW II History Buffs

Glasseye

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2024 at 2:21 AM, galenkia said:

When you go to a concentration camp, it really brings home the reality of those places.

You can watch TV programmes but it’s not the same as experiencing it for real. Can’t understand how people could just mass murder people because they are different from them.

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."

Or more simply put:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Glasseye said:

This is the piece I would have liked to carry (if in that mess).

image.jpeg

Ahem...

Bren_wog.jpg

However I'd have much rather been on the business end of one of these:

gun lead.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 3:43 AM, Butch said:

Ahem...

Bren_wog.jpg

gun lead.jpg

What is that mate ?     

and good line....   being on the business end. lol      I'd hate to be on the other end. A lot of hot metal those things throw out. Jesus

On 4/14/2024 at 6:43 AM, Butch said:

Ahem...

Bren_wog.jpg

gun lead.jpg

Australia used a rejigged 7.62 version of the Bren up until the late 80's. Only had the pleasure of firing one once in about 1987. Nice toy. Bloody accurate for a machine gun.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

What is that mate ?   

The top one is a Brenn LMG.

In the 70s I was trained on both the Brenn and the GPMG (Jimpy). From memory I preferred the Brenn mainly because it meant less faffing about with and was more soldier friendly ..

The IRA also used a couple of Brenns with the old wooden stocks that had receptacles meant for oil cannisters which coincidentally could be made into the size of a location beacon, movement detector and small batteries ..... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

In the 70s I was trained on both the Brenn and the GPMG (Jimpy). From memory I preferred the Brenn mainly because it meant less faffing about with and was more soldier friendly ..

The IRA also used a couple of Brenns with the old wooden stocks that had receptacles meant for oil cannisters which coincidentally could be made into the size of a location beacon, movement detector and small batteries ..... 

The Brenn I knew. Not sure about the other. 

Those rifle muzzles must get hotter than a mother. I wouldn't want to have to tote one of those around after funneling a few dozen rounds through them. Fcuk.

EOD guys have a lot of "tricks" to take care of shit. But, those guys have to have a few loose screws. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

Just being petty but it's a Bren, originally made in Czechoslavakia in the town of Brno and in Enfield in the Uk.

It had good stopping power but I prefer the second gun shown the German MG42, it had a lot better rate of fire.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I find lost in historical accounts is the brave role the Canadian Merchant Marine provided in combating the Nazi Wolf Pack campaigns in the North Atlantic. They made a considerable amount of effort in bringing down the 3rd Reich at considerable cost to themselves.

https://legionmagazine.com/the-wolf-pack-attacks-the-battle-for-one-world-war-two-convoy/

Thank you for your courage Canada.

• Thumbs Up 5

12 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I remember the gpmg when I was doing my military service we had the gpmg the slr and the m16

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Nickrock said:

I remember the gpmg when I was doing my military service we had the gpmg the slr and the m16

In Australia in the 80's  we mainly  used the SLR, M16 and M60. Never had the British GPMG. Also the old old old F1 sub machine gun.

Biggest thing i ever fired was the Charlie Gutsache 84mm. That was fun!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

What I find lost in historical accounts is the brave role the Canadian Merchant Marine provided in combating the Nazi Wolf Pack campaigns in the North Atlantic. They made a considerable amount of effort in bringing down the 3rd Reich at considerable cost to themselves.

https://legionmagazine.com/the-wolf-pack-attacks-the-battle-for-one-world-war-two-convoy/

Many years ago I toured a corvette that is permanently moored in Halifax harbour, and I can't even imagine crossing a stormy North Atlantic in something as small and basic as this - I think this was one of the older ones that had an open bridge, just to add to the misery - brave men indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

If you get the chance watch the movie "Greyhound" Tom Hanks. It's on Apple TV. Tremendous movie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shuggy said:

In Australia in the 80's  we mainly  used the SLR, M16 and M60. Never had the British GPMG. Also the old old old F1 sub machine gun.

Biggest thing i ever fired was the Charlie Gutsache 84mm. That was fun!!!

How is the kick to the shoulder on something like that ?

23 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

How is the kick to the shoulder on something like that ?

Its minimal. All the boom goes out the back. Before you fire its down to your number 2 to ensure that there is no one standing behind you in the BBDA (Back Blast Danger Area)

15 minutes ago, Shuggy said:

Its minimal. All the boom goes out the back. Before you fire its down to your number 2 to ensure that there is no one standing behind you in the BBDA (Back Blast Danger Area)

Sounds like a winner. The hot brass must be flying like crazy.

The first time I fired a bunch of slugs through a Remington 870 my shoulder took a beating. lol      AR, not so bad, but I didn't care for them. I loved that Remi though.

• Like 1