Cheap B^stards

Glasseye

I had a friend that when I paid my bill he would always put his chit with the correct amount in my bin at the same time. This way he never had to pay a tip as I always did. He would also send me texts each day telling which bar had the free food on. I never went to these bars.

RIP Denis.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

My good buddy striderman may he rest in peace used to come in to Secrets at opening about 8:00 p.m. when the dancers would start. He would have a couple of bottles of Chang and give me his bin and asked me to hold on to it he'll be back. He'd be back about midnight to end the evening have a couple more bottles of Chang and then pay his Bin. He did this so as to save him from having to give a second tip. I used to give him shit about it all the time we used to laugh about it my buddy Steve

^^^ Thanks for that one buddy. Made me smile big and have a tear at the same time.

Lub ya 

11 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

I had a friend that when I paid my bill he would always put his chit with the correct amount in my bin at the same time. This way he never had to pay a tip as I always did. He would also send me texts each day telling which bar had the free food on. I never went to these bars.

RIP Denis.

Odd...ain't it ?

I look for reasons I may care to give a tip. It means I am having a damn good time.

The opposite (as you mention) has to really make me ponder how uptight some folks are. And, why do they even bother ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, boydeste said:

To be fair to him, under normal circumstances he would never take a drink off anyone, including me.

Around a year before he sadly passed, I had been down to Bali HI with him to feed the dogs and it was raining lightly. I Had an umbrella, but he was in his normal pink shorts and shirt with a ruck sack containing the food for the dogs.

On the way back, just as we came up to the end of walking street it started to absolutely piss it down, we ducked into the Beer garden and I told Steve we were having a beer and some food. He replied saying he had no money due to the rain.

I insisted that I was treating him to a large Leo and some food. He accepted the beer under protest, but wouldn't take any food.

That's the only time the stubborn fucker would ever take a beer off me.

RIP my friend.

Nice.

• Like 1

Talking about cheapskate or people who are not just careful with money but with everything else also. 

I worked with a guy who planned everything in his life meticulously. Including pre-prepared food for his working week. He ate the same food every day and ended his lunch with a chocolate digestive biscuit and a plastic pot of yoghurt. By God, he got every last remnant of yoghurt out of that pot by using his little finger. He seemed kind of armyfied and regimented to me. 

Both him and me smoked rolling tobacco at the time. Golden Virginia. Swan filter tips and Rizla papers. On the very rare occasion he miscalculated his tobacco usage for the working day he asked me for a cigarette or 2. I handed him my tin and suggested he roll up 2 or 3 to get him through the day. 

However, whenever I run out of tobacco and asked him if he could spare some.... " sorry mate, I only have enough filters and tobacco to last me until 5.30 pm!" f**k me! 

This guy was so stuck in his ways of doing things. He hated watching live football and insisted on watching it after he had recorded it and whoa betide if anyone would tell him the results. It was fun to see him go berserk if anyone said anything. 

He also thought he was astute with money. Saving £3000 per year in a Isa. And then complained about his mortgage costs rising. He was advised to use his savings to reduce his mortgage thus saving him loads in interest payments. It didn't compute with him. 

He's probably the same now. Typical Burnley fan! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Talking about cheapskate or people who are not just careful with money but with everything else also. 

I worked with a guy who planned everything in his life meticulously. Including pre-prepared food for his working week. He ate the same food every day and ended his lunch with a chocolate digestive biscuit and a plastic pot of yoghurt. By God, he got every last remnant of yoghurt out of that pot by using his little finger. He seemed kind of armyfied and regimented to me. 

Both him and me smoked rolling tobacco at the time. Golden Virginia. Swan filter tips and Rizla papers. On the very rare occasion he miscalculated his tobacco usage for the working day he asked me for a cigarette or 2. I handed him my tin and suggested he roll up 2 or 3 to get him through the day. 

However, whenever I run out of tobacco and asked him if he could spare some.... " sorry mate, I only have enough filters and tobacco to last me until 5.30 pm!" f**k me! 

This guy was so stuck in his ways of doing things. He hated watching live football and insisted on watching it after he had recorded it and whoa betide if anyone would tell him the results. It was fun to see him go berserk if anyone said anything. 

He also thought he was astute with money. Saving £3000 per year in a Isa. And then complained about his mortgage costs rising. He was advised to use his savings to reduce his mortgage thus saving him loads in interest payments. It didn't compute with him. 

He's probably the same now. Typical Burnley fan! 

He must have have an interesting childhood.   😔

On 4/11/2024 at 6:46 PM, Glasseye said:

So, who are the cheapest... ? Scots, Israllies, Yanks, Brits, Canuks, Aussies (or whatever the fcuk they are called), Ruskies !! ???

What about the Dutch? Don't forget them, they may put it all down to their devout Calvinism, but in reality they're tighter than a duck's pooper! lol.

• Haha 2

I think we all share an element of "cheapness" about us. For me its not about the money, but more about the perceived value I'm getting.

2 for one Chang cheaper than Tiger, I'll go with the Chang. I'll buy cheap T shirts and underpants from LOS because I know they'll last and are fine for work. However, on the flipside I'll use good oil and genuine products in my cars, premium fuel and if I'm out buying food for shopping, decent meat from the local butcher rather than pre packed from Tesco (although chicken wings are better from Tesco).

I also learned a lesson when first with my Mrs, she sent me out to buy a sack of rice, giving me very specific instructions, but I thought I knew better by getting a sack of "broken rice" instead and save a few quid. I was lectured on the fact we only buy broken rice when we have no other choice, otherwise we pay for the best rice we can afford.

Some guys and women are very careful with their money in some ways, and as @Aqualung pointed out, when it comes to big sums and using money to work for themselves in such a way, they have trouble understanding it.

Maybe the old saying "look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves " applies.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 5/12/2024 at 3:38 AM, Butch said:

I think we all share an element of "cheapness" about us. For me its not about the money, but more about the perceived value I'm getting.

2 for one Chang cheaper than Tiger, I'll go with the Chang. I'll buy cheap T shirts and underpants from LOS because I know they'll last and are fine for work. However, on the flipside I'll use good oil and genuine products in my cars, premium fuel and if I'm out buying food for shopping, decent meat from the local butcher rather than pre packed from Tesco (although chicken wings are better from Tesco).

I also learned a lesson when first with my Mrs, she sent me out to buy a sack of rice, giving me very specific instructions, but I thought I knew better by getting a sack of "broken rice" instead and save a few quid. I was lectured on the fact we only buy broken rice when we have no other choice, otherwise we pay for the best rice we can afford.

Some guys and women are very careful with their money in some ways, and as @Aqualung pointed out, when it comes to big sums and using money to work for themselves in such a way, they have trouble understanding it.

Maybe the old saying "look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves " applies.

My English mother was quite the tightwad in her day - not unusual for that generation that endured first depression and then war - and I remember once when I was teasing her about it she said to me "my grandmother told me that a farthing saved becomes a penny, and a penny saved becomes a pound" - I guess banks were still paying decent interest in those days, lol...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, maipenrai said:

My English mother was quite the tightwad in her day - not unusual for that generation that endured first depression and then war - and I remember once when I was teasing her about it she said to me "my grandmother told me that a farthing saved becomes a penny, and a penny saved becomes a pound" - I guess banks were still paying decent interest in those days, lol...

Treasury I-bond rates have been creeping up (4-5% range). Very safe and easy investment. Stair step the purchases and it can add up. Liquid, easy and safe.

• Like 1

When I bought my first house I had carpet installed on the stairs. My mother came to inspect, bringing a friend. The friend, an elderly lady, advised walk up the stairs on the left side and walk down on the opposite side, saying the carpet will last twice as long.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

My dad (bless his soul) ex Grenadier Guards during WW2 on his death we found all the sauce bottles and cans etc of food lined up as if on parade outside Buckingham Palace they were anything up to three years out of date. His dad was a miner up in Sheffield (and played football for a number of teams including Man U) and was very careful with money. It was a trend passed down to his Don (my dad) but despite my best efforts, not so effectively embraced by me (or Mrs TT!)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ThaiTim said:

My dad (bless his soul) ex Grenadier Guards during WW2 on his death we found all the sauce bottles and cans etc of food lined up as if on parade outside Buckingham Palace they were anything up to three years out of date. His dad was a miner up in Sheffield (and played football for a number of teams including Man U) and was very careful with money. It was a trend passed down to his Don (my dad) but despite my best efforts, not so effectively embraced by me (or Mrs TT!)

My parents grew up during the "Great Depression".

I can remember their stories from early childhood. The stories weren't necessarily to teach us they were just sharing their memories. But boy, believe me, it sank in.

They were in families that would have been considered "upper middle class", yet the struggles they even confronted were mind boggling.

I've had periods living in penthouse apartments, and drinking expensive Schotch every night. And I've had periods of sleeping on a mattress on the floor in  a run down drafty trailier eating tuna, peanut butter and crackers.

I'm prepared for anything. If not, fcuk it.... they can try to take me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Glasseye said:

My parents grew up during the "Great Depression".

I can remember their stories from early childhood. The stories weren't necessarily to teach us they were just sharing their memories. But boy, believe me, it sank in.

They were in families that would have been considered "upper middle class", yet the struggles they even confronted were mind boggling.

I've had periods living in penthouse apartments, and drinking expensive Schotch every night. And I've had periods of sleeping on a mattress on the floor in  a run down drafty trailier eating tuna, peanut butter and crackers.

I'm prepared for anything. If not, fcuk it.... they can try to take me. 

Superb life. Taking the downs with the same stoicism as the ups. Strong fellah!