Pattaya headaches and observations for April

Butch

17 minutes ago, Butch said:

apart from the obvious one, I ran into a few headaches this trip.

To begin with, the ATM regardless of which bank kept spitting my card back at me. I called my provider who said there's no "failure" or "rejection" code attached to any cancelled transactions, but my card was being "read" (PIN input), then the option of withdrawal and fee attached, then it would return the card. Tried 5 ATM's different banks, so just gave up in the end.

Speaking of Money, Indian guys in polyester T shirts and pot bellies arguing with the TT girl for a better rate. He was changing the equivalent of $50 in rupees. She eventually told him to leave after he and his buddies got aggressive.

Crossing 2nd road is still not easy.

Bolt MC taxis are still a bit sketchy, and if the Police see you on the back of a Bolt without a helmet, the rider gets fined. I was pulled on Beach Rd, but luckily my bolt rider must have had a connection because one call later we were back en route.

Beer Hubb charge 10% service. Not really acceptable.

Hemmingways still offers good food and A/C at reasonable prices. I had a mexican chilli burger and it was arguably the best burger I had all trip. Exceptional, good service and well organised.

Soi boomerang doesn't really get going until 19:00. Could do with opening earlier. Heavens abive the best of the lot, Once open a varying selection of girls, reasonable drink prices but it gets quite busy from 8pm.

Chaiyapoon has some great A/C bars on it, Buzzin lounge is good with nice girls, cold towel on entry, no hassle, High rollers is good, again cold towel but slightly pricey, The Den not good, warm Ac and a worn out pool table, but "Gin" a former Crystal GGG works there and is a lovely little package indeed.  Dive Bar still very good, cold towel but some girls don't go with customers. Maggie Mays looking very tired but is busy and offers good priced cold beers. The manager is a bit gruff though.

Other headaches include poor service at some Treetown beer bars, Basilisk 13 on the corner for example. Town Bar which sits on bukhao has changed format, removing comfy chairs and dispensing of the god awful singer. Staff not as good as before and seems to be set up more as an observation post for leo drinking expats than anything else.

Building work on Soi Honey for some new bars opposite the friendly massage places restricted it a bit, but one was open when I left so only a temporary measure. Lastly, getting a normal Thai massage at aht VIP place near Hungy hippo, I'm offered a BJ on top of the massage for....1500 baht, or HJ for 1000. Now, HJ I can do myself, cheers, but 1500 for a BJ is a bit on the very steep side. I declined and it eventually came down to 1200, which I still declined anyway. Good massage thoug

Also, I noticed that  the lavatories in Pook bar have had a make over, but the prices have gone up for 30 minutes of bum fun. But I still enjoyed the experience. 

Nice report, just had to correct your spelling towards the end 😁

• Haha 5

The problem you had with the ATM card not reading could be for the same reason my started failing. Oxidation on the embedded chip's contact points which rubbing an eraser over was enough clean the oxidation off.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

The problem you had with the ATM card not reading could be for the same reason my started failing. Oxidation on the embedded chip's contact points which rubbing an eraser over was enough clean the oxidation off.

Most likely. ^^^

Another example on why having multiple sources for accessing funds is critical (with emphasis), whether you are visiting on a holiday or living here full time.

It is a key element. Not doing so can result in not only a headache but a complete disaster.

Cards can be damaged, lost, eaten by an ATM, locked up by the bank for "suspicious activity", on and on. Getting a replacement card (Foreign) can be a nightmare in some cases. Have multiple cards with you - bank debit cards (with separate bank accounts), CC's, even a loaded pre-paid card(s).

Keep the cards separated. Some secured (hidden in your room), and some properly secured on your person. Approach this sort of thing as what you may need in a worst case situation. 

-----------------

Walking in general and crossing roads while drenched in sweat is my biggest negative when in Patts. It is not a pleasant experience. 

• Like 1