Recomended TV Programs to Watch from Live TV and Streaming Services (Threads Merged)

galenkia

Killers of the Flower Moon

I made it through watching “Killers of the Flower Moon” today. IMDB 7.7. The IMDB is understated IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killers_of_the_Flower_Moon_(film)

This is a powerful movie and well worth watching. At 3.5 hours long it is a bit much to get through. I split the movie in half and watched it over two days. Mesmerizing in many places.

The movie is based on actual events.

https://slate.com/culture/2023/10/killers-flower-moon-movie-true-story-osage.html

Stephen Colbert interviewed Scorsese about the film and the exchange was interesting I thought. Basically, -> how dark is the human heart?

https://youtu.be/XKy-68o_NpE

“Killers of the Flower Moon” received 9 Academy Award nominations. “Oppenheimer” received 13. It could be a shootout. My money is on “Oppenheimer”, but “Killers of the Flower Moon” is a tremendous movie. DiCaprio not being nominated was a major snub.

I pulled the movie through IPT.

This is excellent on Disney. Tells the Anne Frank story, but from the perspective of the people that were hiding them. Can’t imagine how terrifying it must have been, just waiting for the visit from the Nazis and being discovered.

IMG_0078.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Anyone else watch this? I binged it in 2 nights, you know I love the mafia/cartel genre, but wasn’t impressed. Firstly, Sofia is an 11, Griselda could not have been. nearly that sexy even in her younger days. Was happy they used many Colombian actors to portray the characters, always more authentic. But I don’t know, I’m hard pressed to give it more than a 3.5/5

image.png

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Anyone else watch this? I binged it in 2 nights, you know I love the mafia/cartel genre, but wasn’t impressed. Firstly, Sofia is an 11, Griselda could not have been. nearly that sexy even in her younger days. Was happy they used many Colombian actors to portray the characters, always more authentic. But I don’t know, I’m hard pressed to give it more than a 3.5/5

image.png

I've just finished watching it GB and i thought the same as you 'I was'nt impressed'

• Great Info 1

5 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I've just finished watching it GB and i thought the same as you 'I was'nt impressed'

Tough to be impressed Cliff when you’ve got a wife 1/3 of your age, a fleet of Italian sports cars and Sunday snooker lessons from Wattana….

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/1/2024 at 12:03 PM, Golfingboy said:

when you’ve got a wife 1/3 of your age, a fleet of Italian sports cars and Sunday snooker lessons from Wattana….

Is this a mini series, when's it coming out? 

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 11:17 PM, galenkia said:

Just finished this latest Harlan Coben adaptation. Superb as ever his stories.

IMG_0068.jpeg

Good recommendation, i've just got one episode to go. Michelle Keegan has aged well (just checked dob 1987) haven't seen her since Singapore stopped showing the street a few years ago. Joanna Lumley also looking great.

Seen a few Harlan Coben adaptions on netflix, all good.

• Thumbs Up 1

"The Man from Earth" IMDB 7.8 2007

At 1:27 this movie is not a big time commitment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_Earth

I watched it this afternoon and I would recommend giving it a try. Probably not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. It has zero big name stars and the filming feels like an old B movie. Still the philosophical vent can be interesting. I pulled it from IPT after noticing it on a recommended list.

7 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

For fans of the excellent US news documentary show "Frontline", the new season S42 began on January 23rd. Two episodes have been released so far in 2024.

"Frontline" does great stuff. 

Just started watching "Criminal Record" (Apple TV). Really good thus far. Some of you blokes (London) might like this one.

This French series which follows the 2022 tour is a good watch. Never knew much about how the riders worked as a team to help one rider win, but it is a good way of learning about the tactics etc.

IMG_0094.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/25/2024 at 1:22 AM, ChiFlyer said:

I finally got around to watching "Oppenheimer" today. IMDB 8.4. I did a search on this thread looking for a post to add onto, but got zero hits. Maybe my search was clumsy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppenheimer_(film)

I am on the fence as to whether or not this is a very good movie or a great movie. I was reluctant to fire the movie up as it is a little over 3 hours long. I had recently read that it is leading the count for the largest number of Academy Awards nominations this year.

Cillian Murphy (Peaky Blinders) is IMO brilliant as the title character. The cast includes such additional luminaries as Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr, and Gary Oldman (in a lesser role as Harry Truman).

I watched the movie straight through (3 Hours) and did not even break to make a sandwich. I was riveted start to finish, maybe because as a grade school kid I was taught to stick my head between my legs (they left out the kiss you ass goodbye part back in the 1950s). 🙂

A Stephen Colbert interview with Christopher Nolan (writer and director of "Oppenheimer"). Interesting I thought.