Recomended TV Programs to Watch from Live TV and Streaming Services (Threads Merged)

galenkia

Just watched a HBO mini series called “ The Night Of” currently one season of 8 episodes. An American Pakistani is in the frame for murder. Good viewing not too heavy and an easy to follow story line. IMDB rating 8.4 definately worth a look.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Jobe said:

Just watched a HBO mini series called “ The Night Of” currently one season of 8 episodes. An American Pakistani is in the frame for murder. Good viewing not too heavy and an easy to follow story line. IMDB rating 8.4 definately worth a look.

It is a great mini-series IMO. Powerful performances by Riz Ahmed, John Turturro, and the late Michael Kenneth Williams. 

I watched it on HBO when it first aired in 2016. Dialed into in kind of a Pavlovian response as it took over the "Game of Thrones" time slot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I managed to watch the complete 2 series of "The Trip" starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. 

I thought it was excellent and extremely funny in parts. 

It's available on BBC iPlayer but also on several other streaming channels 

There have been a number of programmes featuring 2 celebs doing this and that, trying to imitate the Trip, but have failed miserably at it  and just an excuse to go to nice locations and be themselves and get paid for it 

The Trip is largely scripted and well written by Coogan and Brydon. 

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I managed to watch the complete 2 series of "The Trip" starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. 

I thought it was excellent and extremely funny in parts. 

It's available on BBC iPlayer but also on several other streaming channels 

There have been a number of programmes featuring 2 celebs doing this and that, trying to imitate the Trip, but have failed miserably at it  and just an excuse to go to nice locations and be themselves and get paid for it 

The Trip is largely scripted and well written by Coogan and Brydon. 

Yeah I really enjoyed it too. Coogan is a comedy genius. 

• Like 1

I am watching a couple of TV series that have held my interest.

The first is (S01-S03) of "The Fall" starring Gillian Anderson (Xfiles etc.). IMDB 8.1 (2013 thru 2016 or so).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_(TV_series)

This is a well done serial killer detective show based in Belfast.

The second show that is holding my interest as well is "Bodies". IMDB 7.3 (2023).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodies_(2023_TV_series)

This is a Sci-fi detective thriller with time travel elements. It is a little confusing to get started with, but comes together well IMO, if you give it a little time. It has 4 time segments with multiple characters and it would be a good show to read the recaps after viewing the first few episodes.

I downloaded both of these from IPT, but both are Netflix produced series.

Edited by ChiFlyer

On 4/12/2024 at 5:12 AM, gs joe said:

Just arrived on Prime 

watched the first episode interesting plot and characters based on a video game 

IMG_2792.jpeg

I had already downloaded it on IPT where it is a very popular download. IMDB of 8.0 is impressive. I have not started to watch as of yet. That will likley be about a month from now.

On 3/30/2024 at 12:40 AM, Trip said:

I was on a recent long flight and saw both Oppenheimer and the 90-minute Documentary Oppenheimer the real story back-to-back.

The movie was ok, but it was too long and just dragged at spots like delving into his balancing a girlfriend and crazy wife.

OTOH, the Documentary at 90 minutes I found riveting as it went into details about Oppenheimer's ties to his mentor Neils Bohr and why Groves chose Oppenheimer to head the Manhattan Project and how it ended up in New Mexico.

At the time Oppenheimer was black balled by Hoover/FBI for suspicion of being a communist sympathizer/agent but Groves went to Roosevelt and they over ruled Hoover. Groves said he knew in the first 5 minutes of meeting Oppenheimer that he was the only man for the job because he could condense nuclear physicist gobblygook into a few sentences of plain English so that Groves and others could understand the meaning and importance.

Any way, here is a link to the Documentary free on YT

I got around to watching the Oppenheimer Documentary the other day. IMDB 7.0. It compliments the movie well and is worth a watch IMO.

I think comparing the movie and the documentary is kind of an apples and oranges thing.

On 4/12/2024 at 12:12 AM, gs joe said:

Just arrived on Prime 

IMG_2792.jpeg

Lucy: "You want to have sex?"

Maxumus: "You mean use my cock?"

Lucy: "Yeah."

Maxumus: "I don't know. Uhm, that weird thing could happen."

Lucy: "What weird thing?"

Maximus: "Well, it's just for some guys, not me, but for some guysm you know, when they make it move, it gets all big and hard like a big pimple and then it pops. And they say it could happen to anybody, but it's still uhm, it's gross"

Lucy: "You know, that's, uhm, that's actually completely normal. It happen's all the time. every time, ideally."

-Dialogue in episode 6.

(I wouldn't say no if Ella Purnell asked me)

• Haha 2

I have started watching "An Optimist's Guide to the Planet" (2024) IMDB 8.7.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27096916/

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister from GOT) hosts a travel documentary that focuses on positive actions that are being taken by private citizens of a variety of nations throughout the world in order to address Climate Change.

I am finding the show to be interesting and well worth a watch.

I pulled the show down from IPT.

Edited by ChiFlyer

On 4/12/2024 at 5:12 AM, gs joe said:

Just arrived on Prime 

IMG_2792.jpeg

Just started watching this series. Two episodes in and I'll give it a rating of just ok.

I'm not a gamer, so perhaps if I was I would enjoy it more.

Even if I didn't already know it was based on a game, it would be obvious that it was. The pacing and the scenes are what you would expect playing a video game, which make the scene and plot jumps disjointed at times.

Also some of the characters seem to be cast to meet an inclusivity quota. They're not well suited to the role they're cast to play.

Orphan Black (S01-S05) IMDB 8.3 (2013).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_Black

I am really not all that wild about this show, but the Mrs likes it. Why I do not know. I find it interesting at times.

It is a Canadian show based on a number of clones who become aware of each other. The actress who plays all of the clones must have been going nuts with the wardrobe changes, not to mention the poor director who had to schedule shootings to minimize the impacts from said wardrobe changes.

This is one of those shows that gets more interesting the further one gets into it IMO. We started S04 tonight. Given the number of story lines it gets choppy at times.

I pulled it from IPT. I think that it is available on Netflix.

On 4/22/2024 at 1:00 AM, Stillearly said:

Just signed up for Disney plus ... binge watching Welcome to Wrexham ... I was only going to watch one before going to bed , now up to episode 6 ....

signed up monthly £7.99 

I just watched this on Disney, strange but a good watch.

IMG_0214.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1