Post a random pic you took in Thailand

Sangsom

18 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

What's the backstory for this pic? Merit making?

Picture was taken during a ceremony for a new house.  The small container is filled with water which is blessed by the monks. To honour the ancestors the small container is emptied next to a tree with roots. It all has to do with honouring the ancestors. There may be more to this story, but this is what I understood about the meaning of this part of the ceremony.

• Great Info 2

19 minutes ago, halfaboy said:

Picture was taken during a ceremony for a new house.  The small container is filled with water which is blessed by the monks. To honour the ancestors the small container is emptied next to a tree with roots. It all has to do with honouring the ancestors. There may be more to this story, but this is what I understood about the meaning of this part of the ceremony.

Thought that might be the case. I've noticed different regions of Thailand have different traditions for paying respect to those departed.

My lady always returns to her home in Kamphaeng Phet for 6 March every year to pay respect to her father who passed on that day and to her ancestors. As they are of Chinese descent her ceremony involves blessing and leaving out a table full of food and the traditional lighting of fireworks.

Pic from last year's Chinese New Year.
image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3