Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

1 hour ago, Blue Streak said:

That Leo was 90 Baht.....

Was there a girl under the table giving you a free BJ???

In your opinion what is the attraction in that beer bar that warrants a 90 baht Leo compared to a bar that sells it at 50 Baht? Will girls sit, talk and have fun without a LD? Free Pa Nien on arrival applied by a sexy girl tweaking your nipples? Or is it a 90baht starter before girls asking for a LD ??

I really am fascinated by such endeavors ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Blue Streak said:

That Leo was 90 Baht.....

I noted @Derek Dangleberries surprise emoji at the price. I suspect that's the going rate for the hi-so beer bars, if there's such a thing. That's ok though as plenty of bars, and even self-service watering holes like Nikom that I'm quite happy to drink at with beers at a level appropriate for a lo-so bar. :default_drink:

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Them be the open air beer bars that have hi-so bogs that charge 20 Baht to take a piss or 10 baht for a "graddit" of hi-so ice cubes ... !!!

Personally, I would have absolutely no objection to paying 90 baht for a beer ( not Leo) as long as I was enjoying it in the ambience of an air conditioned hostess style bar.

These open air beer bar complexes have zero attraction for me. It surprises me not at all that they all seem virtually devoid of customers. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Blue Streak said:

The old Made in Thailand beer bar complex nearly opposite Central......On Sai2

Fcuk me. I lived across from that place for nearly a year. Never knew what it was called.

Listened to "Smoke on the Water" every stinking night until covid shut everything down.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

In your opinion what is the attraction in that beer bar that warrants a 90 baht Leo compared to a bar that sells it at 50 Baht? Will girls sit, talk and have fun without a LD? Free Pa Nien on arrival applied by a sexy girl tweaking your nipples? Or is it a 90baht starter before girls asking for a LD ??

Zero, I even said to the lady what an I paying 90 Baht for and she said..''its new''..lol..

No menu and no fridge...the beer came out of an ice box........

Edited by Blue Streak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Surprised 1

On 1/5/2024 at 6:37 AM, Derek Dangleberries said:

very often it works on a law of averages.

I agree with you Derek, 90 baht for a leo which is 50 baht or less in Katsiree needs some explanation, but a majority of punters won't question it.

People will visit a venue due to reputation a lot of the time regardless of drink prices. Look at any Soi 6 bar. That's the balance of marketing. Sell the venue or the product, and price the alternative accordingly. That's why I paid £20 for a G&T in the Hilton Mayfair as it is a Michelin starred resto. The venue sold the product, which was in turn supported by the Venue. Print the £££ notes. £345 for the menu degustastion pp. We were cheap charlies compared to most.

In Pattaya it is the same but on a smaller scale. Pay 90 baht for a Leo but the area is full of pussy, or pay 50 baht for a leo in a bar full of expats. Or pay 90 baht for a leo on the promise or supposition the area is full of pussy when it is not, but then it is your loss. Venue sells the product.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Butch said:

I agree with you Derek, 90 baht for a leo which is 50 baht or less in Katsiree needs some explanation, but a majority of punters won't question it.

People will visit a venue due to reputation a lot of the time regardless of drink prices. Look at any Soi 6 bar. That's the balance of marketing. Sell the venue or the product, and price the alternative accordingly. That's why I paid £20 for a G&T in the Hilton Mayfair as it is a Michelin starred resto. The venue sold the product, which was in turn supported by the Venue. Print the £££ notes. £345 for the menu degustastion pp. We were cheap charlies compared to most.

In Pattaya it is the same but on a smaller scale. Pay 90 baht for a Leo but the area is full of pussy, or pay 50 baht for a leo in a bar full of expats. Or pay 90 baht for a leo on the promise or supposition the area is full of pussy when it is not, but then it is your loss. Venue sells the product.

In fewer words; marketing is selling sizzle not steak.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Butch said:

You have a point ... but I went to Myth Night on my last trip , my vodka sodas were 160 Baht ... I was pretty shocked but gave three or four bars a go ... but didn't find anything that would keep me there for longer than a drink , we did return one more night , but just had a couple and went back to LK 

I doubt I'll be returning to that area on my next trip 

• Like 3
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Butch said:

Yes mate ... but there ARE places that sell beers at 50 Baht and have girls .... Kubla had a damned fine ice cold beer at 49 Baht, enclosed aircon with good music and sexy girls .... Although they may have increased their pricing since then ...

As @Blue Streak said, that place had absolutely no reason to sell a small Leo for 90Baht ... That is the kind of business practice I just don't understand (unless the books show a large amount of cash sales every day of course ...)

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Dont understand it should be a issue, a beer cost 50 or 100 Bath, it still small money, i go sometimes to a bar.drinking a beer or two, waiting for my girlfrind is finish on her job, i drink only that amount of beer, i dont care about i give that small money for a beer, so in my eyes is it only because of the volume off beer you need to drink,or am i wrong?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I totally understand your point of view and respect it, even if it is a Mantra repeated by farang bar owners on forums touting for business ......but it isn't just beer.

If I go to one stall charging 50 Baht for Somtam or Pad Thai and there is another one 50m away charging 100 Baht I will go to the normal price one (even if it is already overpriced for a local)

All of which is small money to you but I just hate the idea that they are taking the piss. I often hear stories amongst my friends here about how stupid farang are paying so much for so little. Many years ago on one of the comedy shows on Thai TV there was a skit about dropping food on the floor and somebody standing in it before being scraped up on a plate off the floor "No problem, a farang will eat it!". This is what they think of people like you!

I am sorry, but I have lived here long enough to understand when people are being fair and when they are taking the piss!

Cheers mate. We are all in different circumstances, perspectives, and learning curves.

But I agree, I hate it when someone tries to take the piss, and really appreciate it when I feel I am being treated squarely. 

As I said somewhere else in here recently, I make a mental note either way. And, I do not forget.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, latour82 said:

Dont understand it should be a issue, a beer cost 50 or 100 Bath, it still small money, i go sometimes to a bar.drinking a beer or two, waiting for my girlfrind is finish on her job, i drink only that amount of beer, i dont care about i give that small money for a beer, so in my eyes is it only because of the volume off beer you need to drink,or am i wrong?

For a beer or two it doesn't matter .... but for a night out , if I can get drinks cheaper in an airconditioned environment, with free clean toilets and naked girls around me ... I know what I'm going to choose 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

For a beer or two it doesn't matter .... but for a night out , if I can get drinks cheaper in an airconditioned environment, with free clean toilets and naked girls around me ... I know what I'm going to choose 

the main thing is i guess,what you go in to a bar ,for me is it only to spend a hour awaiting my girlfriend is finish her shift on her work, i like to sit quiet and easy in a place where it is clean and no pressure for taking or sponser a girl,i go not to a bar for a night out i am more a winedrinker and not partying mutch, i dont feel the bar and resturants taking the piss on me because i spend a few bath more, i eat in a place whrere i have been costumer for years, maybe are the prices for a meal 20 bath higher, but i see i got a lot more plate, so matters not   

• Like 1