Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

was going too add that.....a Gofundme is for broke folks

This may well be on the up and up, but the news reports I've looked at cite her daughter's soical media post as the source for the information. Doesn't seem like any fact checking has taken place.

• Thumbs Up 1

@aunchante33
Mary Lou Retton Net Worth 2023 - The famous American Gymnast “Mary Lou Retton” has a net worth of $8 Million Dollars
@usualsuspectsfor1k
What's her vax status? How much you wanna bet she got the shot?

@SHITS2DGIGGLES
No insurance huh

@myjeanification
Spotfund for someone worth 8 million?? Kidding right
My thoughts exactly. I am first to help those in need but when they are a multi millionaire?
It says she is “uninsured.” How can that be?
 @ucruci2  Exactly! There is more to the story than we are aware of. Sometimes you think you are insured but your doctor changed a dosage or switched meds and you did not inform them. We don't know her financial situation, online net worths are bogus. I'll be heart broken if Mary Lou can't beat this.
 @ucruci2  Obamacare worked real well, huh?

1 hour ago, fforest said:

Well, folks all I got to say is if you want to crowdfund a S-load of money fast whether you need it or not....Make sure you are famous or at least you were at one time....

It might not be her doing this at all. If she’s as sick as the daughter claims, Mary Lou may not even be aware it’s going on.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The plot thickens. While this is a life insurance commerical she appeared in recently, it does show she was still using her name recognition for financial gain.

Comments on social media and news reports are focusing on the question why she doesn't have health insurance. Instead they need to be asking if she's really so poor the family needs strangers to pay her medical bills.

Does Mary Lou Retton have insurance? Former Olympic gymnast's Colonial Penn commercial resurfaces as she 'fights for life' in hospital

"A few days before being hospitalized in a Texas hospital with pneumonia, the 55-year-old former athlete appeared in a commercial by Colonial Penn Life Insurance Company, which has resurfaced amid Retton's health crisis."

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

The plot thickens. While this is a life insurance commerical she appeared in recently, it does show she was still using her name recognition for financial gain.

Comments on social media and news reports are focusing on the question why she doesn't have health insurance. Instead they need to be asking if she's really so poor the family needs strangers to pay her medical bills.

Does Mary Lou Retton have insurance? Former Olympic gymnast's Colonial Penn commercial resurfaces as she 'fights for life' in hospital

"A few days before being hospitalized in a Texas hospital with pneumonia, the 55-year-old former athlete appeared in a commercial by Colonial Penn Life Insurance Company, which has resurfaced amid Retton's health crisis."

Put the crowdfunding aside.....It seems to me someone like her would absolutely 100% have health insurance...

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, fforest said:

Well, folks all I got to say is if you want to crowdfund a S-load of money fast whether you need it or not....Make sure you are famous or at least you were at one time....

The crowdfunding went from 140,000 to 300,000 dollars in 12 hours... I bet it cracks 500,000 in another 24 hours...

Edited by fforest
  • Like 2

We all know how pricey the true cost of an American hospital stay can be, but this whole story sounds fishy. USA treats its athletes MUCH better than we do in Canada, she was on a Wheaties box in the 80's, and who knows how many other endorsements? yes many athletes piss away their earnings, but MaryLou Retton needing a GoFundme for medical bills......My Dad if he was alive would be guzzling his beer while swearing at the television, I am sure! 

Now, as I said, if this was a Canadian gold medallist, I could totally believe it, except our healthcare is free. Brought some Indian food one night back in 2003 to a fairly ugly  bungalow under renovation in Calgary.Lady met me with a huge smile and brought me around back, I just said "you're Catriona, right" ? Her husband was the brother of a hockey player, Shane Doan,who spent his whole career in Phoenix and probably earned $100M.....So given exchange rates at the time, their place was worth little more than 120K quid or so, so was mine at 27 living alone 5 minutes away....Does not really make sense, does it, when you put it all together? maybe they were a modest couple living well below their mean, I dont know, but the same USA athlete would have been 20x richer

cat.jpg

12 minutes ago, fforest said:

The crowdfunding went from 140,000 to 300,000 dollars in 12 hours... I bet it cracks 500,000 in another 24 hours...

Maybe this is a bad comparison, but the Saskatchewan hockey bus crash raised $15M I believe in 2 weeks, people just kept giving until it was quickly cut off....How long until Mary's family says "enough" ? Even in the States, does a private room and a ventilator cost millions?

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fforest said:

I may have underestimated my guess here because the fund is going up really fast...

Edited by fforest

declined to go into further details? reportedly go?

McKenna Lane Kelley said her mother has "a very rare form of pneumonia" and is "not able to breathe on her own." She said Retton has been in the ICU for more than a week and is not insured but declined to go into further details.

Proceeds from the fundraiser will reportedly go to Retton's hospital bills.

Piper Laurie

Wonderful versatile actress, in one of my favourite films of all time The Hustler opposite Paul Newman right through to years later appearing in Carrie.

On TV she almost made it into one of my fav series the original Twin Peaks, and another Fraser!! Just skimming the surface of what was an incredibly full life

I won't mention the furure American president..

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/piper-laurie-dead-twin-peaks-hustler-carrie-1235618677/

R.I.P Piper

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

our North American members will remember this lady well from Three's Company......Suzanne Somers gone from breast cancer the day before she was to turn 77. RIP beautiful

Suzanne Somers bathing suit.jpg

Sorry to hear about Suzanne Somers....But honestly, 3s Company was a classic 70s mind-rot T.V show....But hey there were plenty of others too...

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, fforest said:

Sorry to hear about Suzanne Somers....But honestly, 3s Company was classic 70s mind-rot T.V show....But hey there were plenty of others too...

Same can be said about many TV shows today and in the decades since the 70's. That being said, I admit to having a laugh or two watching 3's Company. RIP Suzanne

Edited to add an example of a humorous scene.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/16/2023 at 4:00 AM, Golfingboy said:

our North American members will remember this lady well from Three's Company......Suzanne Somers gone from breast cancer the day before she was to turn 77. RIP beautiful

Suzanne Somers bathing suit.jpg

Difficult to recall if I ever had a wank over her. I would guess probably yes, but after seeing this pic my memory is kind of foggy.

I know, I know.... I am a terrible bad bad man.

• Haha 4

Ivor Robson, who would announce players' names on the first tee of the Open Championship, gone at 83. Loved this man, he would not leave his post for the duration of his task, on Thursday/Friday that could be 11+ hours....no bathrrom, no food or drink.....legend

Legendary Open Championship first-tee announcer Ivor Robson dies at age 83  | Golf News and Tour Information | GolfDigest.com

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2023 at 9:10 PM, forcebwithu said:

Same can be said about many TV shows today and in the decades since the 70's. That being said, I admit to having a laugh or two watching 3's Company. RIP Suzanne

Edited to add an example of a humorous scene.

One of the funniest scenes I can remember as well, don't even need to click on the link

"There's nothing a girl likes more than a little tickle on the tummy"

OK you guys......knock it off!

• Haha 2