Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

17 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I've read stories of people like that. Maybe a father and son when the kid was out of school on summer break, and they would study the schedule to see how many ballparks they could visit by way of the homestands of each team in a different geographic region of the country.

The last major league games I ever went to was with the SF Giants playing the Dodgers once and another when they played the SD Padres. Not being biased being from the Bay Area, but that ballpark, with it's sight lines, it's location right off the Bay, the aesthetic design, so that it gives a shout out to the past but with all the creature comforts of the present, there can't be a more beautiful professional sports complex to either play in as a player or attend as a fan.

And on the other side of the Bay, unfortunately, there lies the absolute worst stadium in America for professional sports, the Oakland Coliseum, built in 1966 for under $25 million, which will get you a 1 year deal for an above average pitcher these days, that was state of the art nearly 60 years ago, but has fallen into disrepair, which I think will lead the A's to move to Las Vegas by 2026.

Yep, SF has always been noted as a great park. Oakland is down the tubes, been on the way out for a long time. Kind of sad to see when you think about some of the great teams they have had. 

I am hoping one day I will be able to get back to Wrigley. I have not been there since they did the "re-hab". I'd also love to see a game at Fenway.

Pittsburgh's PNC Park looks real nice, although I have never been.

Seattle's T-Mobile Park (God help me with that name) used to be called Safeco, is a great place to watch a game.

The new Busch Stadium is really nice also. Man... I saw a game there the last season of the old Busch. What a shithole that had become. Same with the Astrodome and the Kingdome.... shitholes.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

The new Busch Stadium is really nice also. Man... I saw a game there the last season of the old Busch. What a shithole that had become. Same with the Astrodome and the Kingdome.... shitholes.

Well this man surely agrees the old Busch was a shithole. Funny enough, years later he was the outfielder in the Bartman incident. Anyway, one of the nastiest injuries I ever saw live

15 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Well this man surely agrees the old Busch was a shithole. Funny enough, years later he was the outfielder in the Bartman incident. Anyway, one of the nastiest injuries I ever saw live

Ha ! Moises Alou (we used to call him Moistest) is one of my favorite all time Cubs outfielders.

I once saw him crush a homer at Wrigley, against the Cardinals. The angle where I was seated provided a perfect view of  the trajectory, it was awesome. One of the better baseball memories.

Of course, yes. He was the guy attempting to field the ball in the famous "Bartman incident". What a ball buster that turned out to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Ha ! Moises Alou (we used to call him Moistest) is one of my favorite all time Cubs outfielders.

I once saw him crush a homer at Wrigley, against the Cardinals. The angle where I was seated provided a perfect view of  the trajectory, it was awesome. One of the better baseball memories.

Of course, yes. He was the guy attempting to field the ball in the famous "Bartman incident". What a ball buster that turned out to be. 

Felt so bad for Bartman. Watched that ESPN special on him, it’s so easy to point the finger & say he single-handedly cost the Cubs a potential World
Series. Truth was, many things went wrong that inning/game

It’s a fan’s instinct to catch a souvenir, but man oh man, did he pick the WRONG moment

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 4:55 PM, Golfingboy said:

Felt so bad for Bartman. Watched that ESPN special on him, it’s so easy to point the finger & say he single-handedly cost the Cubs a potential World
Series. Truth was, many things went wrong that inning/game

It’s a fan’s instinct to catch a souvenir, but man oh man, did he pick the WRONG moment

Yep... That story will live on into infamy. Probably one of the most reported on (and dragged out over time) sports stories. 

Amazing how the "media" can make a mountain out of a mole hill at times. Sometimes just disgusting the desperate levels some of them will rise to. Scum of the earth many of them. 

There was a story not long back about a well known "investigative reporter" in Seattle who was murdered. When I first read about it I thought, "f**k, I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often".

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pattaya visa guru dies suddenly

Darren McGarry, the British founder of the successful Pattaya-based visa company Key Visa, has died suddenly after a long battle with cancer. He established a business first in Bangkok and then in Pattaya almost 30 years ago and married a local lady in 2009.

Obituary-1-Pattaya-visa-guru-dies-sudden

• Sad 4

32 minutes ago, fforest said:

Darren McGarry, the British founder of the successful Pattaya-based visa company Key Visa, has died suddenly after a long battle with cancer. He established a business first in Bangkok and then in Pattaya almost 30 years ago and married a local lady in 2009.

Whitespider put me onto him about 20 years ago.. Both gone now!

Darren looked a completely different person then!

RIP to both of you.

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Brilliant band- They were amazing live.

Not a bad innings given their lifestyle- gave so much pleasure, a life well-led.

R.I.P Jet

Absolutely amazing band. Grew up listening to them. RIP Jet Black

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

RIP to both of you.

What I was thinking - I met Darren in 2009 when his shop was next door to the Roadhouse on LK Metro, where I was staying - had several pleasant chats with him but remember him as being half the size you see in these photos - may he RIP.

• Great Info 1

9 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

RIP to both of you.

Couldn't have been 3 weeks ago that I saw him on "Everything Pattaya's", YT channel being interviewed with the latest updated immigration news. The guy was huge and just sitting in his chair at his desk you could tell he was having a hard time breathing. And of course on "Buzzin's" YT channel as well, as they seemed like mates and had known each other for quite some time.

RIP to the big fella.

• Great Info 3

22 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

had several pleasant chats with him but remember him as being half the size you see in these photos

16 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

The guy was huge and just sitting in his chair at his desk you could tell he was having a hard time breathing. And of course on "Buzzin's" YT channel as well,

The change in size was put down to becoming a "Power lifter" when I commented on the YT Vlogs.

5 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Couldn't have been 3 weeks ago that I saw him on "Everything Pattaya's", YT channel being interviewed with the latest updated immigration news. The guy was huge and just sitting in his chair at his desk you could tell he was having a hard time breathing. And of course on "Buzzin's" YT channel as well, as they seemed like mates and had known each other for quite some time.

RIP to the big fella.

I turned it off almost right away Eric, after my recent trauma didn’t need to watch that

Didn’t know him, but Rest in Peace

7 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

I turned it off almost right away Eric, after my recent trauma didn’t need to watch that

Didn’t know him, but Rest in Peace

I understand that opinion mate. Much the same as I won't go back to watch it.

His increase in size was due to becoming a "Power Lifter", I have no idea if or what he ingested to increase his bulk to attain his lifts..and it is none of my bloody business.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, fforest said:

Wow... bummer. Saw him a few times on various YT channels. Seemed like a very good guy and gave good info. 

I am sure that there are a lot of folks who he has assisted over the years. 

Although I never met the guy I thought he was articulate, knew what he was talking about and good humored. Sad to see this.

May he  R.I.P.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Regarding some of the comments regarding his size.... 

Have you considered the fact that he was struggling with cancer (possibly for a long time as reported), and the possibility of how medications may (or may not) contribute to weight gain, and/or psychological issues relating to eating habits, etc. ?

22 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Have you considered the fact that he was struggling with cancer (possibly for a long time as reported), and the possibility of how medications may (or may not) contribute to weight gain, and/or psychological issues relating to eating habits, etc. ?

Yep, I considered it, but I was going by what he said.

EDIT = Whenever I mentioned his size I was referring to his muscle mass gained as a Power Lifter. I never meant it to be derogatory. If it seems that way I appologise and if required I will delete my comments.

Edited by Derek Dangleberries

12 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Usually....Like almost always, people with cancer lose a lot of weight.....I bet the weight gain was another medical issue,unless he just ate to many calories...

8 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yep, I considered it, but I was going by what he said.

EDIT = Whenever I mentioned his size I was referring to his muscle mass gained as a Power Lifter. I never meant it to be derogatory. If it seems that way I appologise and if required I will delete my comments.

No need to apologize. I'm just thinking about things we may not know about. 

I never knew anything about his past other than what I viewed on some of his YT interviews. So, I really have no clue about the weight gain and what may or may not have contributed to it. Could be any of a number of factors.

Often we base assumptions on limited info. I know that I do often, probably more than I should. And it is natural to do so, to some degree. But something I often need to remind myself that things are not always what they may appear to be, and there are many things (even with ones closets friends, family members and associates) that we will never know.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1