Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

image.png

Saw him pitch once, when either with the Cleveland Indians or Seattle Mariners, when they played the Oakland A's, back in the early 80's toward the end of his career. In between pitches, he had all these gyrations, his pitching hand touching his head, the back of his ballcap, the bill of his cap, his sideburns, his belt....just constant movement out on the mound, I guess all in trying to gain a psychological advantage over the hitter in getting him out of rhythm when up to bat.

The year he won his first Cy Young award, in 1972, his record was 24-16, an incredible 40 decisions out of 41 starts. Back then, teams went with a 4 man rotation, and starters not only routinely made 35-38 starts a season, but went deep into games, with many complete games, unlike in the last 30 years or so with these hideous pitch counts that have just ruined the game and slowed it down to the point where baseball has diminished in popularity, that a World Series game might not even get 15 million viewers.

The likes of Gaylord Perry, and others of his generation of pitchers, won't be seen again in the Major Leagues.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Back then, teams went with a 4 man rotation, and starters not only routinely made 35-38 starts a season, but went deep into games, with many complete games, unlike in the last 30 years or so with these hideous pitch counts that have just ruined the game and slowed it down to the point where baseball has diminished in popularity, that a World Series game might not even get 15 million viewers

Brillaint info

I lived in Boston for 3 year in 1986, fell in love with Baseball then working on a student visa going to Fenway whenever I could. Fond memories of Boggs, Boyd and Clemens

Sad to hear Baseball has declinded so much.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2022 at 11:06 PM, fforest said:

Comedian Gallagher, best known for his watermelon-smashing comedy routine and many popular specials in the 1980s, died Friday morning, according his manager Craig Marquardo. He was 76.

According to a statement provided to CNN by Marquardo, the comedian died “after a short health battle....

Legendary prop comic Gallagher, dead at 76

I saw his act maybe 20 years ago in Pensacola, Florida. Before the show he  sold and autographed VHS copies of previous show in the same theater. We bought one and got a picture with him. When we watched the tape, it was almost exactly the same act as what we saw live, not much variation when you’re smashing watermelons for a living.

20 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Brillaint info

I lived in Boston for 3 year in 1986, fell in love with Baseball then working on a student visa going to Fenway whenever I could. Fond memories of Boggs, Boyd and Clemens

Sad to hear Baseball has declinded so much.

Fenway is a dream of mine….I’m 4.5 hours away, got to get on that! 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2022 at 5:30 PM, fforest said:

I am very tired of people dying......

I have decided today is the last day for people to die...Tomorrow no more deaths....And my decision is final.....So I guess that means this is the end of this thread..... 

This guy was full of himself thinking  his word was going to stop all deaths...He must have been drinking or off his meds...

Edited by fforest

1 hour ago, fforest said:

This guy was full of himself thinking  his word was going to stop all deaths...He must have been drinking or off his meds...

I’ve never taken anything stronger than aspirin….think I’m going to start soon. Everyone I know on medication is happier than me

56 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

I’ve never taken anything stronger than aspirin….think I’m going to start soon. Everyone I know on medication is happier than me

Well I don't recommend weed.....Weed will make murky feelings much much murkier over time....Maybe a natural antidepressant like Lion's Mane mushroom...

• Great Info 1

1 minute ago, fforest said:

Well I don't recommend weed.....Weed will make murky feelings much much murkier over time....Maybe a natural antidepressant like Lion's Mane mushroom...

It’s legal where I am…..but I’ve heard it’s becoming more popular & legal where you are. Never been a fan, honestly. I know so many people who can’t survive without their regular toke, or they go nuts and get irritated…..to me that’s addiction. Now if it’s honestly medicinal for chronic pain, that’s different. Also because I’ve always hated tobacco, probably why I hate smoking weed

And……make no mistake, unless it’s garbage you’re smoking, there is one STRONG stuff out there. I was in Vancouver about 6 years ago, some wannabe Punjabi gangster friends of a good mate invited me to their condo. These guys had pounds of good stuff lying around, don’t know if they spiked it, but scared the crap out of me….couple puffs, my heart sped up, and on a typical Van/Seattle rainy night, I felt like I was seeing clouds on the drive home 3 hours later…..really. When they say BC Bud…..there you go

8 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

It’s legal where I am…..but I’ve heard it’s becoming more popular & legal where you are. Never been a fan, honestly. I know so many people who can’t survive without their regular toke, or they go nuts and get irritated…..to me that’s addiction. Now if it’s honestly medicinal for chronic pain, that’s different. Also because I’ve always hated tobacco, probably why I hate smoking weed

And……make no mistake, unless it’s garbage you’re smoking, there is one STRONG stuff out there. I was in Vancouver about 6 years ago, some wannabe Punjabi gangster friends of a good mate invited me to their condo. These guys had pounds of good stuff lying around, don’t know if they spiked it, but scared the crap out of me….couple puffs, my heart sped up, and on a typical Van/Seattle rainy night, I felt like I was seeing clouds on the drive home 3 hours later…..really. When they say BC Bud…..there you go

BC Bud definitely has a reputation as being some of the strongest pot available anywhere; your buddies probably smoke the stuff every day and build a tolerance for it, but an occasional or first-time user like you is going to be knocked for a loop, for sure - I smoked lots of pot when I was young but won't touch it these days, simply too much for me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2022 at 12:10 PM, Golfingboy said:

Fenway is a dream of mine….I’m 4.5 hours away, got to get on that! 

I've never been there either. Being able to take a tour of that old ballpark would be a real kick. Back in 2010, I did take a 90 minute tour of Lambeau Field where the Green Bay Packers play, and it was fabulous. Hearing the history of the stadium, the various expansions from the 32,000 it seated in the late 50's till today, checking out a 30 seat private suite, looking inside the broadcast booth where the likes of Summerall and Madden called games for both CBS and FOX, walking down the tunnel where the players coming out of the locker room walk toward the opening out on to the field.

They have audio of the fan noise when you walk past each red sensor on the wall that trips the increased volume inside the tunnel as you get closer to the field. There is a camera inside facing back toward the locker room, so fans can see it on the big scoreboard in anticipation of the players emerging, and by the time we got to the entrance, the sound was like a fighter jet landing on an aircraft carrier.

Well worth it as I'm sure Fenway, and Wrigley Field in Chicago would be as well.

Edited by Mr. Smooth
  • Great Info 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I've never been there either. Being able to take a tour of that old ballpark would be a real kick. Back in 2010, I did take a 90 minute tour of Lambeau Stadium where the Green Bay Packers play, and it was fabulous. Hearing the history of the stadium, the various expansions from the 32,000 it seated in the late 50's till today, checking out a 30 seat private suite, looking inside the broadcast booth where the likes of Summerall and Madden called games for both CBS and FOX, walking down the tunnel where the players coming out of the locker room walk toward the opening out on to the field.

They have audio of the fan noise when you walk past each red light on the wall that trips the increased volume inside the tunnel as you get closer to the field. There is a camera inside facing back toward the locker room, so fans can see it on the big scoreboard in anticipation of the players emerging, and by the time we got to the entrance, the sound was like a fighter jet landing on an aircraft carrier.

Well worth it as I'm sure Fenway, and Wrigley Field in Chicago would be as well.

2007 I crossed the border in ND on my way to Montreal. Slept in Wisconsin one night. Had checked the MLB schedules, mind you this is way before the IPhone age & data everywhere, and could have stopped & caught either a Twins or Indians game, both were home that weekend . Always regretted not doing so

My Dad was not a saver, but also didn’t make many extravagant purchases. Went to Barbados 5 times, along with DR, Cuba, Mexico, PR, etc…We met up for golf in AZ  twice, but that’s as far West as he got. He had told me way back in the 80’s that Dodger Stadium was a great spot to watch a game, never forgot that. But so many new parks built since then, lots of nice ones. Baltimore always looked good to me

• Like 1

I’m sure anyone who saw Green Book would agree it was a fantastic film, for me anyway it’s probably in my Top 10 all-time. This man was in the movie, and also the real-life son of Tony Lip, Viggo’s character. Looks like an overdose, followed maybe by a robbery, details emerging

image.png

908FABBA-26CB-424A-9C8D-2149958DBE39.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 12/2/2022 at 2:17 AM, Mr. Smooth said:

Saw him pitch once, when either with the Cleveland Indians or Seattle Mariners, when they played the Oakland A's, back in the early 80's toward the end of his career. In between pitches, he had all these gyrations, his pitching hand touching his head, the back of his ballcap, the bill of his cap, his sideburns, his belt....just constant movement out on the mound, I guess all in trying to gain a psychological advantage over the hitter in getting him out of rhythm when up to bat.

The year he won his first Cy Young award, in 1972, his record was 24-16, an incredible 40 decisions out of 41 starts. Back then, teams went with a 4 man rotation, and starters not only routinely made 35-38 starts a season, but went deep into games, with many complete games, unlike in the last 30 years or so with these hideous pitch counts that have just ruined the game and slowed it down to the point where baseball has diminished in popularity, that a World Series game might not even get 15 million viewers.

The likes of Gaylord Perry, and others of his generation of pitchers, won't be seen again in the Major Leagues.

Hadn't know about this until just now. Hard for me to believe he was that old.

But after thinking about it the dude pitched for 22 years. Friggen amazing. 

He was "easy" on his arm as he threw all that off speed stuff. Of course he was known as a spit baller, probably the most successful one in history.

And you are absolutely right.... Baseball will never see guys like that again.

https://www.mlb.com/news/gaylord-perry-passes-away

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2022 at 4:41 AM, Mr. Smooth said:

I've never been there either. Being able to take a tour of that old ballpark would be a real kick. Back in 2010, I did take a 90 minute tour of Lambeau Field where the Green Bay Packers play, and it was fabulous. Hearing the history of the stadium, the various expansions from the 32,000 it seated in the late 50's till today, checking out a 30 seat private suite, looking inside the broadcast booth where the likes of Summerall and Madden called games for both CBS and FOX, walking down the tunnel where the players coming out of the locker room walk toward the opening out on to the field.

They have audio of the fan noise when you walk past each red sensor on the wall that trips the increased volume inside the tunnel as you get closer to the field. There is a camera inside facing back toward the locker room, so fans can see it on the big scoreboard in anticipation of the players emerging, and by the time we got to the entrance, the sound was like a fighter jet landing on an aircraft carrier.

I worked with this gal who had been to almost every ball park to see a game. When I retired she was a couple of years away from completing the entire circuit. I always envied her for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I worked with this gal who had been to almost every ball park to see a game. When I retired she was a couple of years away from completing the entire circuit. I always envied her for that.

I've read stories of people like that. Maybe a father and son when the kid was out of school on summer break, and they would study the schedule to see how many ballparks they could visit by way of the homestands of each team in a different geographic region of the country.

The last major league games I ever went to was with the SF Giants playing the Dodgers once and another when they played the SD Padres. Not being biased being from the Bay Area, but that ballpark, with it's sight lines, it's location right off the Bay, the aesthetic design, so that it gives a shout out to the past but with all the creature comforts of the present, there can't be a more beautiful professional sports complex to either play in as a player or attend as a fan.

And on the other side of the Bay, unfortunately, there lies the absolute worst stadium in America for professional sports, the Oakland Coliseum, built in 1966 for under $25 million, which will get you a 1 year deal for an above average pitcher these days, that was state of the art nearly 60 years ago, but has fallen into disrepair, which I think will lead the A's to move to Las Vegas by 2026.

Edited by Mr. Smooth
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Kirstie Alley....loved her character on Cheer after Shelley Long left the show. 

Just got the alert on my IPhone…..can’t believe it. Cheers was an awesome sitcom, was where Woody Harrelson got his start too

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2