Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

2 hours ago, roomark said:

It's not so much the age though I am younger than them it's the fact that it's final and that era is gone forever.

Horrible life sometimes though none of us are here forever.

Merry Xmas 😆

Most of the bands I listened to as a kid are either dead or in their 70’s ,so twilight days.

Keith Richards has been dead years but nobody remembered to tell him.😀

• Great Info 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, forqalso said:

RIP to one of the greats. Lots of facts I learned just now about that catch. Had no clue it was a 4th down play with 22 seconds left and Pittsburgh trailing. The defender whose helmet it bounced off, was Jack Tatum, better known for having paralyzed  Darryl Stingley with a vicious hit. The old rules stated if the bounce had been off the Steelers’ player, the catch was illegal. And did it touch the ground before Franco snagged it? Didn’t have 25 cameras in HD like we do today

He looked great too, had no idea he was Black AND Italian, both communities loved him. Certainly doesn’t look like a dying man in this, was posted 12 hours before he passed……damn

They were retiring his number at Saturday’s game in Pittsburgh…..how tragic 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception#Controversy

433D274B-F157-4529-B156-5C09EC045429.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

RIP to one of the greats. Lots of facts I learned just now about that catch. Had no clue it was a 4th down play with 22 seconds left and Pittsburgh trailing. The defender whose helmet it bounced off, was Jack Tatum, better known for having paralyzed  Darryl Stingley with a vicious hit. The old rules stated if the bounce had been off the Steelers’ player, the catch was illegal. And did it touch the ground before Franco snagged it? Didn’t have 25 cameras in HD like we do today

He looked great too, had no idea he was Black AND Italian, both communities loved him. Certainly doesn’t look like a dying man in this, was posted 12 hours before he passed……damn

They were retiring his number at Saturday’s game in Pittsburgh…..how tragic 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception#Controversy

433D274B-F157-4529-B156-5C09EC045429.jpeg

When I was a kid, I thought his name was “Frank O’Harris”.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, forqalso said:

When I was a kid, I thought his name was “Frank O’Harris”.

Me too! Around 7 years old, in 1983-84, Dad bought me this nice pair of leather boxing gloves….wish I knew where they went. Anyway the older kids on the bus said what sounded like A Hama Dalli…..he had just retired and well, I was 7 and Canadian 😃

https://www.forbes.com/real-time-billionaires/#119a22e53d78

This is kind of interesting.....

Here is a list of all the Billionaires on the planet Earth in 2022......There are almost 2500 Billionaires......Worth from 1 Billion to well over 100 Billion dollars..

These people have the absolute best medical care money can buy...The best food,the best housing the best of everything......

So they should be living a VERY VERY Loooooooong time...RIGHT?

Well let's see here...

There is a grand total of exactly ONE Billionaire 100 years old or older....Yes folks I said ONE as in the number 1......

And for the rest of the 2500 Billionaires...

99 years old........3

98 years old........4

97 years old.........3

96 years old........5

95 years old........7

94 years old.......9

93 years old.......11

92 years old.......11

91 years old.......9

90 years old.......15

89 years old.......16

88 years old......15

87 years old......26

86 years old......24

85 years old......28

84 years old....24

83 years old....24

82 years old....42

81 years old....45

80 years old...44

So it's safe to say that that the Myth that people are living way way longer is nothing but a Myth.......Ok living a little longer but not way way longer....

And these people are no working stiffs scraping by on Social Security or a Pension.....Nope......They are bloody loaded....

Yet their money does not seem to be adding many years to their life.....

Edited by fforest

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Got no time for billionaire's, what the f**k does having billions in the bank achieve?.

It's like their obsessed with zeros.

Fucking use the money to help the poor people of the world, It would give them something to be proud of.

I give to causes all the time and I'm just an average bloke in the street.

Some do give very generously, but some could do more.

Here here. This time of year I always think of George Michael who I read was a very good giver and not in the biblical sense 😎

• Haha 1
  • Surprised 1

3 hours ago, fforest said:

https://www.forbes.com/real-time-billionaires/#119a22e53d78

This is kind of interesting.....

Here is a list of all the Billionaires on the planet Earth in 2022......There are almost 2500 Billionaires......Worth from 1 Billion to well over 100 Billion dollars..

These people have the absolute best medical care money can buy...The best food,the best housing the best of everything......

So they should be living a VERY VERY Loooooooong time...RIGHT?

Well let's see here...

There is a grand total of exactly ONE Billionaire 100 years old or older....Yes folks I said ONE as in the number 1......

And for the rest of the 2500 Billionaires...

99 years old........3

98 years old........4

97 years old.........3

96 years old........5

95 years old........7

94 years old.......9

93 years old.......11

92 years old.......11

91 years old.......9

90 years old.......15

89 years old.......16

88 years old......15

87 years old......26

86 years old......24

85 years old......28

84 years old....24

83 years old....24

82 years old....42

81 years old....45

80 years old...44

So it's safe to say that that the Myth that people are living way way longer is nothing but a Myth.......Ok living a little longer but not way way longer....

And these people are no working stiffs scraping by on Social Security or a Pension.....Nope......They are bloody loaded....

Wealthier people do on average live longer. They can afford better diets, have many opportunities for healthy exercise and, of course, higher end healthcare.

How many billionaires do you see down macdonalds upsizing their quarter pounder twice a day and smoking - not many i would wager. Obesity and diabetes are unfortunately low income, low life-expectation diseases.

Money might not buy you happiness but yes it can, on average, extend your life.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Zambo said:

Wealthier people do on average live longer. They can afford better diets, have many opportunities for healthy exercise and, of course, higher end healthcare.

How many billionaires do you see down macdonalds upsizing their quarter pounder twice a day and smoking - not many i would wager. Obesity and diabetes are unfortunately low income, low life-expectation diseases.

Money might not buy you happiness but yes it can, on average, extend your life.

Well after running some numbers it looks like about 3% of Billionaires are currently in their 90s

And about 14.5% of Billionaires are currently in their 80s and 90s.....

Not too impressive, for longevity........I honestly expected better numbers than this....

I bet not much better than the general population.... 

The media loves to drill into people heads over and over and over and over that people are living way way longer now....Its simply a lie.....A bit longer yes....But that's it...

Edited by fforest

39 minutes ago, fforest said:

Well after running some numbers it looks like about 3% of Billionaires are currently in their 90s

And about 14.5% of Billionaires are currently in their 80s and 90s.....

Not too impressive, for longevity........I honestly expected better numbers than this....

I bet not much better than the general population.... 

The media loves to drill into people heads over and over and over and over that people are living way way longer now....Its simply a lie.....A bit longer yes....But that's it...

Sounds like your normal "scientific" research ... 555

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jan/15/being-wealthy-adds-nine-years-to-life-expectancy-says-study

http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/health/

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/apr/25/growing-gap-in-healthy-life-expectancy-between-poorest-and-richest-in-england

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthinequalities/bulletins/healthstatelifeexpectanciesbyindexofmultipledeprivationimd/2018to2020

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2016/04/for-life-expectancy-money-matters/

14 hours ago, fforest said:

<snip>

You're looking at only one cohort of the population, billionaires. Therefore you can not come to the conclusion "that people are living way way longer is nothing but a Myth" as "people" implies the entire population.

Also "way way longer" is a subjective measure, but the % of the population aged 65 and above over the past 40 years has almost doubled. I'd say that's an impressive gain.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

You're looking at only one cohort of the population, billionaires. Therefore you can not come to the conclusion "that people are living way way longer is nothing but a Myth" as "people" implies the entire population.

Also "way way longer" is a subjective measure, but the % of the population aged 65 and above over the past 40 years has almost doubled. I'd say that's an impressive gain.

I agree.....

Many more people are living longer on the low end of getting older...65, 70, 75 maybe even 80.....But after 80 the gains slow down a lot...And after 90 the gains are very tiny indeed and after 100 the gains are non existent...

All governments and Pension funds have a vested interest in forever repeating about how people are living soooooooo much longer now, so as a excuse to not increase pay-outs.....Because they say too many people are just living too long, and they just can't afford any increase in payments..

Edited by fforest

19 hours ago, fforest said:

Well after running some numbers it looks like

This should be good...

200w.gif

19 hours ago, fforest said:

The media loves to drill into people heads over and over and over and over that people are living way way longer now....Its simply a lie.....

Hmmm...could it be you're behind on your reading..?

. . .

Life expectancy in the U.S. continues to drop, driven by COVID-19

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/08/31/1120192583/life-expectancy-in-the-u-s-continues-to-drop-driven-by-covid-19

U.S. Life Expectancy Fell By 1.5 Years In 2020, The Biggest Drop Since WWII

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/07/21/1018590263/u-s-life-expectancy-fell-1-5-years-2020-biggest-drop-since-ww-ii-covid

The first global decline in life expectancy since World War II poses a major threat to the economy. Here’s how it impacted the U.S. and 30 other countries

https://fortune.com/2022/12/06/global-life-expectancy-covid-pandemic-opioid-crisis-homicide-labor-force/

COVID-19 Cuts Life Expectancy in Dozens of Countries

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2788128

On 12/25/2022 at 11:02 AM, fforest said:

I agree.....

Many more people are living longer on the low end of getting older...65, 70, 75 maybe even 80.....But after 80 the gains slow down a lot...And after 90 the gains are very tiny indeed and after 100 the gains are non existent...

All governments and Pension funds have a vested interest in forever repeating about how people are living soooooooo much longer now, so as a excuse to not increase pay-outs.....Because they say too many people are just living too long, and they just can't afford any increase in payments..

Big part of the issue is the gap. That is the number of younger people participating (contributing) in the investment (pension system, social security, whatever...) versus the number of people collecting dividends from that system. It isn't as much that people are living longer.

Another key factor regarding lack of increases is a result of poorly managed systems or in many cases just outright corruption. Laws protecting many pensions systems have been neglected for decades. Because of that many systems are not properly adjusting for inflation, and shit investments decisions.

Updating the laws would be a step in the right direction, but take years to get caught up. 

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Big part of the issue is the gap. That is the number of younger people participating (contributing) in the investment (pension system, social security, whatever...) versus the number of people collecting dividends from that system. It isn't as much that people are living longer.

Another key factor regarding lack of increases is a result of poorly managed systems or in many cases just outright corruption. Laws protecting many pensions systems have been neglected for decades. Because of that many systems are not properly adjusting for inflation, and shit investments decisions.

Updating the laws would be a step in the right direction, but take years to get cau

In the West (and some parts of Asia, notably Japan) people are living longer and the birth rate is falling. For that reason the number of people paying into the system is less than is needed to keep the payments to the people who have retired.

There seem to be 2 steps that can be taken:

1. Increase the retirement age so that people pay into the system for longer and have a reduction in the years they receive payments.

2. Increase the number of younger workers through immigration.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Zambo said:

In the West (and some parts of Asia, notably Japan) people are living longer and the birth rate is falling. For that reason the number of people paying into the system is less than is needed to keep the payments to the people who have retired.

There seem to be 2 steps that can be taken:

1. Increase the retirement age so that people pay into the system for longer and have a reduction in the years they receive payments.

2. Increase the number of younger workers through immigration.

Yes. The retirement age thing has been tossed around for a long time. Not very popular politically, but I think eventually we will begin to see that happening (change in the laws).

Another big political hot potato is obviously immigration. I think most people fail to recognize that a certain percentage of immigrants or babies born is required to support pension systems and general long term economic growth. 

I will avoid getting into a big political discussion here. But.... the math simply does not work without immigration. 

Countries that have had low birth rates for many years and are super tight regarding immigration (like Japan) will be having some real difficult issues to contend.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Another big political hot potato is obviously immigration. I think most people fail to recognize that a certain percentage of immigrants or babies born is required to support pension systems and general long term economic growth. 

I will avoid getting into a big political discussion here. But.... the math simply does not work without immigration.

Exactly...but that would require critical thinking (demographic analysis) and planning.

Something in short supply with the 'powers that be' these days.

• Thumbs Up 1