Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, forqalso said:

Yes, RIP to Jerry Lee - they just don't make 'em like that anymore; gifted musician but haywire as hell in his prime as well, a real character. I love watching his live performances, using every part of his body to get sounds out of the piano yet somehow always staying in key - fantastic stuff. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ray Guy, longtime Raider and maybe the greatest punter in NFL history, gone at 72. 

It’s one of the least glamorous positions in the NFL, so for me to remember a player who retired when I was 10…….you know he was good. Our California BM knew him well I’m sure….

DD7B5245-36C3-4F1F-B59B-21289B8D2DD7.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/3/2022 at 11:41 PM, Golfingboy said:

Ray Guy, longtime Raider and maybe the greatest punter in NFL history, gone at 72. 

It’s one of the least glamorous positions in the NFL, so for me to remember a player who retired when I was 10…….you know he was good. Our California BM knew him well I’m sure….

DD7B5245-36C3-4F1F-B59B-21289B8D2DD7.jpeg

I remember my dad taking me to a few Oakland Raider games in the 70's and I would see Ray Guy punt the ball so high that the ball would reach it's apex well above the 3rd deck rim of the stadium before cascading down into the arms of the punt returner some 60-65 yards down field. He kicked with such force and the ball would be so high, that for the first time since the beginning of the NFL, the term, "hang time" was coined, and it is now a regular stat with scouting punters in today's game.

He was the one punter whose ability to either pin the opposing team back near their own goal line or push them back so far down field from one of his legendary booming kicks, that the game plan for the other team would literally have to change because of the poor field position they would start out with due to a Guy punt.

A true great of the game. And another of my boyhood sports heroes has passed on. 

RIP.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1