What are you reading?

Al McReady

On 2/4/2024 at 11:18 AM, maipenrai said:

This wasn't a bad read - this fellow was something else, just plain batshit crazy:

IMG_2419.jpeg

I read that years ago, 2013 I think and re read it during my covid phase. He's also cross referenced in another book I have regarding some Greenland expeditions.

He was indeed a very tough man, and in my opinion the epitome of an Englishman of the time. Well educated, fearless, honest and very much a person to make the best of a bad situation. He certainly gave the Japanese a few headaches during their Malaysian occupation.

Very sad ending though, but in some ways, having lived a life such as his only to be faced with potentially losing his dignity as he got worse, I can fully understand why he did what he did.

I've just chanced upon this in my local Tesco book exchange:

9781472860866.IN.0.m.jpg

It's also a signed first edition!.

• Like 4

Have just started this book and the plot is coming along very nicely. Nick Petrie is an excellent writer.

The Price You Pay

(A Peter Ash Novel Book 😎

917G61DOs7L._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

I have just received Esquire Winter Edition, delivered from Asiabooks to out here in the middle of nowhere in Isaan..

Flicking through, it looks pretty shit and something I wouldn't buy in a shop but it has paved the way for more orders when next Month's pensions are paid in ...

I shall go through this thread and make notes ...

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Daveo said:

Sold over 100 copies of my book @ Canterbury tales bookshop - Pattaya.

Anyone read it? any feedback?

gamekeeper cover (1aaa).jpg

Just finished my copy today, actually, and found it quite entertaining; not the best job of editing which you admit yourself in your brief foreword, but if even half the stories in this book are based on actual events, then you have lived a much more interesting life than me, for sure. You certainly lend credence to the old adage that revenge is a dish best served cold...

• Like 1

Crackdown-2.jpg

Picked this up the other day in Dave's store, been a while since I have read any of this series, the Vincent Calvino private eye books; I always enjoyed them since there was usually mention of the old Washington Square bars in BKK and some of the real-life characters who hung around in them, some of whom I actually met and interacted with myself back in the day. This one, the 16th in the series, takes place after the demise of the square. 

• Like 4

On 2/18/2024 at 12:36 PM, Daveo said:

Sold over 100 copies of my book @ Canterbury tales bookshop - Pattaya.

Anyone read it? any feedback?

gamekeeper cover (1aaa).jpg

Not read it Dave, didn't know you'd put pen to paper but will pick up a copy when I'm next in town and settle in for a chat and a coffee.

Will you sign it for me please?.

• Like 1

The Chaos Agent by Mark Greaney (Gray Man #13)

?dm=PUZP

Artificial intelligence leads to shockingly real devastation in this new novel in the number one New York Times best-selling Gray Man series.

Someone is killing the world's leading experts on robotics and computers. A desperate Russian scientist approaches Court Gentry and Zoya Zakharova to ask for their protection, but before they can help, they are attacked by a team of professional assassins.

They escape, but wherever they turn, it's clear that whoever's tracking them is always going to be one step ahead. With a danger of this level, there's no choice but to attack into the threat.

There is one man who may hold the answers to all their questions. But he's gone to ground in a fortress surrounded by a veritable army. If that's not bad enough, he has a new chief of security—Court's old comrade, Zack Hightower.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daveo said:

Yes will do, I'm at the bookshop every Monday Wednesday and Friday from 10;30am to 5pm when we close.

Good - now I know your schedule, I may bring my copy back in as well.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm reading books about the history of the western US....

. . .

My Ántonia is a novel published in 1918 by American writer Willa Cather, which is considered one of her best works.

The novel tells the stories of an orphaned boy from Virginia, Jim Burden, and the elder daughter in a family of Bohemian immigrants, Ántonia Shimerda, who are each brought as children to be pioneers in Nebraska towards the end of the 19th century. The first year in the very new place leaves strong impressions on both children, affecting them for life.

This novel is considered Cather's first masterpiece. Cather was praised for bringing the American West to life and making it personally interesting.

. . .

41NY5VL6P9L._SY445_SX342_.jpg

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Loaned  this one from a local coffee shop. Can understand why it made a great movie, the book is shaping up to be better than the film.

IMG_20240310_092509.jpg

I got into Ludlum back in the '70s and read several of his books - they're all of the "paranoid thriller" genre and I did enjoy them but eventually the themes became repetitive and I lost interest. They do seem to translate well into successful movies, though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I got into Ludlum back in the '70s and read several of his books - they're all of the "paranoid thriller" genre and I did enjoy them but eventually the themes became repetitive and I lost interest. They do seem to translate well into successful movies, though. 

It's the first Ludlom I've ever read. I think a degree of repetition is common to all prolific thriller writers.

One of my favourites is Walter Mosely and he recycles character across different series but is good enough to get away with it. That is until his most recent novels that is🙂, he is 72 though.

I just came across this now on YT.

It brought upon a conscious awareness regarding something. Actually a bit emotional.

The reconigtion how significant the influence of some great writers (such as Hemingway, Steinbeck, Grisham and Wambaugh) have been in my life.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Daveo said:

Brian Jacks, his book signing, Mindset of a Champion with Tiky Donovan OBE - World Karate champion, at Canterbury tales bookshop - Pattaya, told me he was born close to Upton Park and a Hammers fan...

428630218_2143743092629303_4136672384213070460_n.jpg

Thanks, briliant photo. He's looking very well at 77, great to see.

Extra points for the product placement😉

• Like 1