What are you reading?

Al McReady

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just bought these from a charity book sale , I've never read SM before 

IMG_2377.jpeg

Bargain. Read them as a teenager thought they were briliant.

Coincidentally bought a set in a charity shop last year but never got around to reading them before moving home. Off they all went back to the same charity shop with lots of my other belongings!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Skiing into Modernity is the story of how skiing moved from Europe’s Scandinavian periphery to the mountains of central Europe, where it came to define the modern Alps and set the standard for skiing across the world.

Denning offers a fresh, sophisticated, and engaging cultural and environmental history of skiing that alters our understanding of the sport and reveals how leisure practices evolve in unison with our changing relationship to nature...

41INdMrHDQL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/29/2023 at 7:13 PM, Lemondropkid said:

Pleased to pick this one up at a bargain price from a charity shop.

Story set during Syria's civil war. Has started well, find I'm having to concentrate to remember the Syrian characters names( no bad thing)

image.png

As a postcript, this was briliant. I'd highly recommend it.

A new author for me that I've only just starting reading.

Georgoe Pelecanos, one of the writers on the Wire so that hooked me in. Stunned his books get so many mixed reviews on goodreads, so of these guys must be too tied up in their own predjuices.

I'll go with Stephen King who loves him!

Screenshot 2023-09-01 08.14.36.png

• Like 3

On 9/1/2023 at 5:19 PM, Lemondropkid said:

A new author for me that I've only just starting reading.

Georgoe Pelecanos, one of the writers on the Wire so that hooked me in. Stunned his books get so many mixed reviews on goodreads, so of these guys must be too tied up in their own predjuices.

I'll go with Stephen King who loves him!

Screenshot 2023-09-01 08.14.36.png

I've read most of his books over the years. His earlier books are better than his later offerings but their still worth reading.

• Thanks 1

This is due for release later this week -

The Secret Hours by Mick Herron review – secrets and spies
This companion piece to the Slough House series uncovers intrigue and corruption in the secret service, from 90s Berlin to the Cabinet office

9781399800532__27249.1692017704.jpg?c=1

Credit guardian

Mick Herron’s new novel opens with a simple assertion: “The worst smell in the world is dead badger.”

The poor beast itself turns up soon after, as does a “flight kit”: the stash of documents, currency and disguise kept close at hand by spies just in case.

A frantically violent night-time chase through unexpectedly hostile Devon farmland quickly follows. But it is not the action, or even the tradecraft, that will reassure Herron readers that they are on secure ground with The Secret Hours, his 16th novel across 20 years. It is the stench of that badger.

Herron has become something of a laureate of decrepitude. His Slough House series features the fabled Slow Horses, British secret agents cast out to the periphery of the shadow world via an imaginatively comprehensive assortment of personal, operational, moral or other failings.

In those books both the dilapidated building and its equally distressed inhabitants are subjected to a detailed physical scrutiny that doesn’t shy from matters of hygiene and odour.

Most particularly in respect of Herron’s leading protagonist, Jackson Lamb, the flatulent, corpulent, unwashed leader of the Slow Horses, captured in all the spirit of his brilliance and boorishness by Gary Oldman in the Apple TV+ series.

While The Secret Hours is billed as a standalone novel, it is really more of a lean-to, or even an extension. Among the new faces there are plenty of familiar names, storylines reappear in one guise or another and the world is still populated by the joes and the dogs and the milkmen and the rest of the glossary of Herron’s Spook Street.

More here -

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/sep/08/the-secret-hours-by-mick-herron-review-secrets-and-spies

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

7 hours ago, Zeb said:

This is due for release later this week -

The Secret Hours by Mick Herron review – secrets and spies
This companion piece to the Slough House series uncovers intrigue and corruption in the secret service, from 90s Berlin to the Cabinet office

9781399800532__27249.1692017704.jpg?c=1

Credit guardian

Mick Herron’s new novel opens with a simple assertion: “The worst smell in the world is dead badger.”

The poor beast itself turns up soon after, as does a “flight kit”: the stash of documents, currency and disguise kept close at hand by spies just in case.

A frantically violent night-time chase through unexpectedly hostile Devon farmland quickly follows. But it is not the action, or even the tradecraft, that will reassure Herron readers that they are on secure ground with The Secret Hours, his 16th novel across 20 years. It is the stench of that badger.

Herron has become something of a laureate of decrepitude. His Slough House series features the fabled Slow Horses, British secret agents cast out to the periphery of the shadow world via an imaginatively comprehensive assortment of personal, operational, moral or other failings.

In those books both the dilapidated building and its equally distressed inhabitants are subjected to a detailed physical scrutiny that doesn’t shy from matters of hygiene and odour.

Most particularly in respect of Herron’s leading protagonist, Jackson Lamb, the flatulent, corpulent, unwashed leader of the Slow Horses, captured in all the spirit of his brilliance and boorishness by Gary Oldman in the Apple TV+ series.

While The Secret Hours is billed as a standalone novel, it is really more of a lean-to, or even an extension. Among the new faces there are plenty of familiar names, storylines reappear in one guise or another and the world is still populated by the joes and the dogs and the milkmen and the rest of the glossary of Herron’s Spook Street.

More here -

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/sep/08/the-secret-hours-by-mick-herron-review-secrets-and-spies

Got a hold at the library on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Life, Music, Elton, and Me by Bernie Taupin

An evocative, clear-eyed, and revealing memoir by Bernie Taupin, the lyrical master and long-time collaborator of Elton John.

“I loved writing, I loved chronicling life and every moment I was cogent, sober, or blitzed, I was forever feeding off my surroundings, making copious notes as ammunition for future compositions. . . . .

The thing is good, bad, or indifferent I never stopped writing, it was as addictive as any drug.”

This is the memoir music fans have been waiting for.

Half of one of the greatest creative partnerships in popular music, Bernie Taupin is the man who wrote the lyrics for Elton John, who conceived the ideas that spawned countless hits, and sold millions and millions of records.

Together, they were a duo, a unit, an immovable object. Their extraordinary, half-century-and-counting creative relationship has been chronicled in biopics (like 2019's Rocketman) and even John's own autobiography, Me.

But Taupin, a famously private person, has kept his own account of their adventures close to his chest, until now.

?dm=JAHR

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 1:30 PM, Stillearly said:

Just received this 

IMG_6205.jpeg

Love these type of books , we had a couple of Pears Cyclopedia when I was a kid and I also had Schott's Miscellany in the early 2000's 

Brilliant

Used to love dipping into books of facts as a kid. Sort of infotainment but you did pick up lots of knowledge.

Guiness Book of Records was another great favourite of mine.

A great prep for the rigours of adult life, such as the pub quiz😀

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Thumbs Up 1