What are you reading?

Al McReady

Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators is a 2019 book by the American journalist Ronan Farrow. He recounts the challenges he faced chasing the stories of Harvey Weinstein's decades of alleged rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse of women and the case against him.[2][3][4] Farrow argues that Weinstein was able to use Black Cube, a private Israeli intelligence service,[5] to successfully pressure executives at NBC News to kill the story there, leading him to take it to The New Yorker, where it was published and helped spark the international #MeToo movement exposing sexual abuse, mostly of women, in many industries.

4149SBY+++S._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 3

Random pick up from the local library- was lured in by a Mick Herron comparision.

The author has borrowed the Slough House theme, but with a police station called Malabar House  staffed by officers no one else wants.

Similarities stop there though, it's a murder whodunnit set in post-partion India. Has started well, moving along at a decent pace.

image.png

• Like 3

Lawrence Osborne’s new novel, “On Java Road,” is a mystery set amid political tensions.

After two decades as a journalist in Hong Kong, ex-pat Englishman Adrian Gyle is ready to turn his back on the city he knew so well. But as Hong Kong erupts in violence with pro-democracy demonstrations hitting ever closer to home, could this be the final assignment Gyle was looking for? 

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/on-java-road-lawrence-osborne/1140482238

. . .

519lwXDT6bL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.webp

• Like 3

The Forgiven is a best-selling 2012 psychological thriller by Lawrence Osborne.

Based loosely on a true story set in the deserts of Morocco, the book received widespread acclaim on both sides of the Atlantic. The Economist chose it as one of its Best Books of 2012; and Robert Collins, in The Sunday Times in London, hailed its "brooding, compelling" quality. 

51Yz0sA9sdL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.webp

• Like 3

On 6/17/2023 at 5:17 PM, Stillearly said:

I think there were a couple of BMs reading Patrick O'Brian books , they all seem to be £0.99 on Amazon kindle at the moment 

Yes, I read the entire series last year (20 volumes). Helped to have the accompanying glossary book to get through the nautical terms and historical minutia. Good reads.

. . .

This comprehensive lexicon provides definitions of nautical terms, historical entries describing the people and political events that shaped the period, and detailed explanations of the scientific, medical, and biblical references that appear in the novels.

41DmAXTHXaL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.webp

• Like 1

This one from Alice Roberts is also very good -

http://images.mobilism.org/?dm=XNUI

Tamed: Ten Species That Changed Our World

The extraordinary story of the species that became our allies.

For hundreds of thousands of years, our ancestors depended on wild plants and animals for survival. They were hunter-gatherers, consummate foraging experts, taking the world as they found it. Then a revolution occurred - our ancestors' interaction with other species changed. They began to tame them. The human population boomed; civilisation began.

In Tamed, Alice Roberts uncovers the deep history of 10 familiar species with incredible wild pasts: dogs, apples and wheat; cattle, potatoes and chickens; rice, maize and horses - and, finally, humans.

She reveals how becoming part of our world changed these animals and plants, and shows how they became our allies, essential to the survival and success of our own species.

Enlightening, wide-ranging and endlessly fascinating, Tamed encompasses thousands of years of history and archaeology alongside cutting-edge genetics and anthropology. Yet it is also a deeply personal journey that changes how we see ourselves and the species on which we have left our mark.

Edited by Zeb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

This one from Alice Roberts is also very good -

http://images.mobilism.org/?dm=XNUI

Tamed: Ten Species That Changed Our World

The extraordinary story of the species that became our allies.

For hundreds of thousands of years, our ancestors depended on wild plants and animals for survival. They were hunter-gatherers, consummate foraging experts, taking the world as they found it. Then a revolution occurred - our ancestors' interaction with other species changed. They began to tame them. The human population boomed; civilisation began.

In Tamed, Alice Roberts uncovers the deep history of 10 familiar species with incredible wild pasts: dogs, apples and wheat; cattle, potatoes and chickens; rice, maize and horses - and, finally, humans.

She reveals how becoming part of our world changed these animals and plants, and shows how they became our allies, essential to the survival and success of our own species.

Enlightening, wide-ranging and endlessly fascinating, Tamed encompasses thousands of years of history and archaeology alongside cutting-edge genetics and anthropology. Yet it is also a deeply personal journey that changes how we see ourselves and the species on which we have left our mark.

Alice has also presented a few TV series about history. I really enjoy her work.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Out of interest does anyone use Audible or another app to listen to books ... saw today they have a 3 month free trial on Amazon , so trying it out ..

I’ve had the CD versions from the library years ago, but I tend to take it in better reading a book.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Out of interest does anyone use Audible or another app to listen to books ... saw today they have a 3 month free trial on Amazon , so trying it out ..

Not for me Judith. Too passive, I much prefer being forced to get my head around the written word.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2023 at 9:33 PM, Stillearly said:

I'm a long time Audible customer, but get my books via torrents so use Voice Audiobook Player to listen to the books.

A great way to pass the time if you're on the road or doing something that makes reading a book impractical. Worth giving it a try with their 3 month free trial.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Read "Liars Poker" by him many years ago 👍

Love everything he's written from Liars Poker(which is a fantastic primer on the world of Investment Banking) right through to the Blind Side and Moneyball.

Have met him person after a public talk at the London School of Economics. No ego at all which is something for such a talented man.

• Like 1