What are you reading?

Al McReady

For millennia the cliffs of Capri have sheltered pleasure-seekers and refugees alike, among them the emperors Augustus and Tiberius, Henry James, Rilke, and Lenin, and hosts of artists, eccentrics, and outcasts. Here in the 1960s Graham Greene became friends with Shirley Hazzard and her husband, the writer Francis Steegmuller; their friendship lasted until Greene's death in 1991. In Greene on Capri, Hazzard uses their ever volatile intimacy as a prism through which to illuminate Greene's mercurial character, his work and talk, and the extraordinary literary culture that long thrived on this ravishing, enchanted island.

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9780374527778/greeneoncapri

81Mca1ZrQyL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 1

Listened to my first audiobook yesterday, whilst on a travel day ... Animal Farm by George Orwell ... read / performed by Stephen Fry ... he was brilliant and brought the characters to life ... but I think my enjoyment with Audio books depends not only on the material, but who is reading it ( probably more ) ... a bit like Jackanory when I was a kid ... going to go with a few more over the free trail period , but not convinced it something I'll subscribe to yet 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Listened to my first audiobook yesterday, whilst on a travel day ... Animal Farm by George Orwell ... read / performed by Stephen Fry ... he was brilliant and brought the characters to life ... but I think my enjoyment with Audio books depends not only on the material, but who is reading it ( probably more ) ... a bit like Jackanory when I was a kid ... going to go with a few more over the free trail period , but not convinced it something I'll subscribe to yet 

There are some great narrators out there. R.C. Bray is another one.

Over the years I've tried listening to books narrated by females, but they lose it with me when they try to affect the voice of a male character. Now if it's a title I'm interested in, I'll read the kindle version.

What got me hooked on audio books was decades ago I started listening to Killer Angels on Wisconsin Public Radio's long running Chapter A Day program. Soon after I signed up for Books On Tape which allowed you to rent books on cassette tapes that were mailed to you. We've come along way since those days of old.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/15/2023 at 6:23 PM, lazarus said:

Lawrence Osborne’s new novel, “On Java Road,” is a mystery set amid political tensions.

After two decades as a journalist in Hong Kong, ex-pat Englishman Adrian Gyle is ready to turn his back on the city he knew so well. But as Hong Kong erupts in violence with pro-democracy demonstrations hitting ever closer to home, could this be the final assignment Gyle was looking for? 

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/on-java-road-lawrence-osborne/1140482238

. . .

519lwXDT6bL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.webp

Thanks have just started on the same. Two chapters in and it's excellent read.

His characterisation is brilliant, how it rates a lowly 3.7 out of 5 on Goodreads puzzles me. Maybe some right it off as "Asian fiction" but it's way better than that.

Really enjoyed Hunters in the Dark too that you mentioned on here👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2023 at 2:58 AM, Lemondropkid said:

Random pick up from the local library- was lured in by a Mick Herron comparision.

The author has borrowed the Slough House theme, but with a police station called Malabar House  staffed by officers no one else wants.

Similarities stop there though, it's a murder whodunnit set in post-partion India. Has started well, moving along at a decent pace.

image.png

Couldn't get that one at my local Library so I got this one instead. Not to bad at all.

24717411._SY180_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, andycoll said:

Couldn't get that one at my local Library so I got this one instead. Not to bad at all.

24717411._SY180_.jpg

Excellent- hadn't realised he'd written that many books!!

I enjoyed The Lost Man of Bombay, it was closer in style to the Colin Cottererill books than Heron.  Asian setting, touch of whimsical humour but nowhere near as good to my tastes. Still enjoyed it though for it was. 

• Like 1

A combination travelogue, mystery, and ghost story, The Tattooed Map is a mesmerizing, physically beautiful book. Each page is gloriously decorated with the kinds of fascinating flotsam and jetsam that travelers find cluttering their pockets and notebooks at the end of a trip, making The Tattooed Map a book you'll want to return to again and again.

9781895714913.OL.0.l.jpg

• Like 2

In The Accidental Connoisseur, journalist Lawrence Osborne takes off on a personal voyage through a little-known world in pursuit of some answers. Weaving together a fantastic cast of eccentrics and obsessives, industry magnates and small farmers, the author explores the way technological change, opinionated critics, consumer trends, wheelers and dealers, trade wars, and mass market tastes have made the elixir we drink today entirely different from the wine drunk by our grandparents.

71eTfL0UUNL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 3

The Collector - A Novel by Daniel Silva ( Gabriel Allon 23 ) 

#1 New York Times bestselling author Daniel Silva delivers another stunning thriller in his action-packed tale of high stakes international intrigue.

Legendary art restorer and spy Gabriel Allon joins forces with a brilliant and beautiful master-thief to track down the world’s most valuable missing painting but soon finds himself in a desperate race to prevent an unthinkable conflict between Russia and the West.

Silva's powerhouse novel showcases his outstanding skill and brilliant imagination, destined to be a must-read for both his multitudes of fans and growing legions of converts.

?dm=JUGM

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...