Covid19/SARS-CoV-2. Panic but make it informed panic.

fygjam

I look at all those numbers with a bit of scepticisme.

How are they collected ? Reliability of the collection AND the treatment (manipulation) in certain countries ? I mean, I doubt about the collection and analyse in remote areas from China, India, Indonesia for example. Not even to speak about Africa.

The number of deaths are probably the most accurate (although ..)  but the number of cases is more questionable. Hence the ratio death / cases is very questionable.

Timeline is also playing a role. To have reliable data analysis you need plenty data. How more (reliable) data how lower the error margin.

But I have no idea if the number are wrong on the upside or downside.

Next thing is they display them in Time Square next to the NYSE ticker ?

Another of the Medcram series.

Discusses some more treatments being investigated for Covid-19.

Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil), malaria and rheumatoid arthritis medication has been shown in vitro to reduce or inhibit viral replication.

A bit more on zinc.

Well I am a night delivery driver, my main areas are Swindon, Newbury and Basingstoke. I am already aware of two companies on my route where the virus has infected a few staff. I am now not allowed into those sites but am met at the gate instead of entering the building. These are just isolated but just shows the reach of this virus. 

The virus is spreading and figures shown will grow ever bigger.

I was going to Budapest in two weeks but my traveling companion is living in Norway that has now said anybody arriving that is not a national of a Scandic country they would need to self isolate for 2 weeks. My friend does not want to leave and then arrive to isolation with no work so think my trip is off.  This is going to affect most of us in some way or other, looks like I will be traveling within the UK for my short holiday if I am allowed to.

Spain ,Germany ,France and of course Italy are now the new epicentre of this pandemic ...right in the centre of the continent ...and spreading

Usa in the new world too

Without check these 4 will eclipse China in about 12 days(doubling every 3 day approx ) ...and a much more elderly population ...icu  beds fcked for people over about 50 years ...hence the need to s.p.r.e.a.d. the outbreak 

Governments need to do an Italy NOW.....Rory Stewart talking sense fir the first time

Edited by Ivan the terrible
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

Spain ,Germany ,France and of course Italy are now the new epicentre of this pandemic ...right in the centre of the continent ...and spreading

Usa in the new world too

Without check these 4 will eclipse China in about 12 days(doubling every 3 day approx ) ...and a much more elderly population ...icu  beds fcked for people over about 50 years ...hence the need to s.p.r.e.a.d. the outbreak 

Governments need to do an Italy NOW.....Rory Stewart talking sense fir the first time

Yep, the way China locked down everything could only happen in, well, China. 

No way would it work in the West, you only have to read some of the posts on here to see how people who think they know better than the experts in this field would not only endanger themselves but everyone else they could infect. 

The speed of infection is ramping up now, health services won't be able to cope. It's not just Corona Virus people will die from.

10 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Yep, the way China locked down everything could only happen in, well, China. 

No way would it work in the West, you only have to read some of the posts on here to see how people who think they know better than the experts in this field would not only endanger themselves but everyone else they could infect. 

The speed of infection is ramping up now, health services won't be able to cope. It's not just Corona Virus people will die from.

yes it can ..by whatever means ...martial law if neccesary ..talking about at least 200,000 deaths in the UK ...agreed mostly elderly ...so that's us or our parents 

Thanks to Evil

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Edited by Ivan the terrible

2 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

yes it can ..by whatever means ...martial law if neccesary ..talking about at least 200,000 deaths in the UK ...agreed mostly elderly ...so that's us or our parents 

You would hope so, but as I say, you only have to look at some of the posts on here to see the problem. The arrogance or stupidity of some knows no bounds. 

People need to be personally responsible, this will only work if everyone is onboard by whatever means. 

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Well I am a night delivery driver, my main areas are Swindon, Newbury and Basingstoke. I am already aware of two companies on my route where the virus has infected a few staff. I am now not allowed into those sites but am met at the gate instead of entering the building. These are just isolated but just shows the reach of this virus. 

The virus is spreading and figures shown will grow ever bigger.

I was going to Budapest in two weeks but my traveling companion is living in Norway that has now said anybody arriving that is not a national of a Scandic country they would need to self isolate for 2 weeks. My friend does not want to leave and then arrive to isolation with no work so think my trip is off.  This is going to affect most of us in some way or other, looks like I will be traveling within the UK for my short holiday if I am allowed to.

Yea, Beach Gal made arrangements for us to go to Athens and then to Santorini ... about 1 1/2 months ago for us to go the 30th of March .... needless to say she cancelled everything .. lost a little bit of money with the cancellations ..... I don't care either way ..  but, for sure it seems like the airline industry and certain governments are in total panic mode

If it was me alone .. I would still go .. but, I have Beach gal and Ziggy now - so I should ( and will ) exercise a little caution for their sakes ....

Seems I only hear now the rich and famous ( Tom Hanks and his wife Rita ... Traudeaus wife , etc ) are diagnosed with the virus ... I really wonder ( cynical ) on how and when this happened .... with what "kit" they were tested with ... plus, I think they are only virtue signaling ...... I have no proof .. but, that is what I think .... just watch ... for sure the Hanks and Traudeaus wife, etc.  will be absolutely fine at the end of the day ... that is why I think it is only virtue signaling to cause more drama and grief .... for one reason only ... DJT .... ( no I am not being political ) ....

And I am also really suspicious on the global numbers being reported ....

Please ... everyone .. don't start to bit my head off .. just voicing what I think a little

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Krapow said:

You would hope so, but as I say, you only have to look at some of the posts on here to see the problem. The arrogance or stupidity of some knows no bounds. 

People need to be personally responsible, this will only work if everyone is onboard by whatever means. 

I think most people in the world are .... I can only speak for myself .. but, f*****K whatever happens to me .. but, I will always want Beach gal and Ziggy to be safe and immune from any shit that is thrown to them in their lives .... viruses, motor bike accidents , dickheads .... anything !

I really think most people on the planet are " onboard " .. no one in their right mind wants their family threatened by anything ....

And now, trying to get this thread back on topic.

No doubt one among many.

Medicago claims to have a viable vaccine candidate for COVID-19

Medicago claims to have a viable vaccine candidate for COVID-19

While most Japanese pharma companies were shedding capital value by as much as 7% today, Mitsubishi Chemical (TYO: 4188) closed up 3.48% at 625 yen on the news that one of its units had developed a vaccine against the novel coronavirus.

Canada-based biotech firm Medicago, a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma, on Thursday announced it had successfully produced a virus-like particle (VLP) of the coronavirus just 20 days after obtaining the SARS-CoV-2 (virus causing the COVID-19 disease) gene.

Production of the VLP is the first step in developing a vaccine for COVID-19 which will now undergo pre-clinical testing for safety and efficacy. Once this is completed, Medicago expects to discuss with the appropriate health agencies to initiate human trials of the vaccine by summer (July/August) 2020.

Medicago is also using its technology platform to develop antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 in collaboration with the Laval University’s Infectious Disease Research Centre headed by Dr Gary Kobinger who helped develop a vaccine and treatment for Ebola. These SARS-CoV-2 antibodies could potentially be used to treat people infected by the virus. This research is being funded, in part, by the Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR).

Previous successes

Medicago is a leader in plant-based technology having previously demonstrated its capability to be a first responder in a flu pandemic. In 2009, the company produced a research-grade vaccine candidate against H1N1 in just 19 days. In 2012, Medicago manufactured 10 million doses of a monovalent influenza vaccine within one month for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), part of the US Department of Defense. In 2015, Medicago also demonstrated that it could rapidly produce an anti-Ebola monoclonal antibody cocktail for the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), part of the US Department of Health and Human Services.

“The pace of our initial progress in COVID-19 is attributable to the capability of our plant-based platform which is able to produce vaccine and antibody solutions to counteract this global public health threat. The ability to produce a candidate vaccine within 20 days after obtaining the gene is a critical differentiator for our proven technology. This technology enables scale-up at unprecedented speed to potentially combat COVID-19,” said Dr Bruce Clark, chief executive of Medicago.

Medicago’s first product, a seasonal recombinant quadrivalent VLP vaccine for active immunization against influenza, is currently under review by Health Canada following the completion of a robust safety and efficacy clinical program involving over 25,000 patients.

https://www.thepharmaletter.com/article/medicago-claims-to-have-a-viable-vaccine-candidate-for-covid-19

My boy boarded AC33 last night 11.55pm from YVR to SYD direct for two weeks.

Sounds like we will have to keep him home from school for two weeks when he comes back.

The schools will be closed regardless.

Missus and I are cancelling Cabo on Monday.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Krapow said:

whats made you such a expert

it's like arseholes we all have them,opinions

and you are the bloke that's taking his family to Turkey in a few weeks.

don't do it brother.

regards

grayray

knows nothing,knows all

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grayray said:

whats made you such a expert

it's like arseholes we all have them,opinions

and you are the bloke that's taking his family to Turkey in a few weeks.

don't do it brother.

regards

grayray

knows nothing,knows all

I'm not an expert, i'm going by the advice given by the experts in this field followed by every single country on the planet!

Turkey? Turkey's fine, same as last year, we all loved the place so much we're going back, hopefully, if they allow us. They've just stopped a load of European countries, but not the UK yet -

https://punchng.com/coronavirus-turkey-stops-flights-to-nine-european-countries/

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Ivan the terrible said:

Thanks to Evil

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

If you really think or believe that, its time to take a break and get of.what you smoke.... WTH ? 

20 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

If you really think or believe that, its time to take a break and get of.what you smoke.... WTH ? 

Rothmans ...and yes thats what I believe...40% increase in cases in Spain in  24hours ,Italy has run out or morgue space in some areas ...you must be blind not to see the ramifications of this for people over 60...its bad news!

Worst-Case Estimates for U.S. Coronavirus Deaths

Projections based on C.D.C. scenarios show a potentially vast toll. But those numbers don’t account for interventions now underway.

• Officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and epidemic experts from universities around the world conferred last month about what might happen if the new coronavirus gained a foothold in the United States. How many people might die? How many would be infected and need hospitalization?

One of the agency’s top disease modelers, Matthew Biggerstaff, presented the group on the phone call with four possible scenarios — A, B, C and D — based on characteristics of the virus, including estimates of how transmissible it is and the severity of the illness it can cause. The assumptions, reviewed by The New York Times, were shared with about 50 expert teams to model how the virus could tear through the population — and what might stop it.

The C.D.C.’s scenarios were depicted in terms of percentages of the population. Translated into absolute numbers by independent experts using simple models of how viruses spread, the worst-case figures would be staggering if no actions were taken to slow transmission.

Between 160 million and 214 million people in the United States could be infected over the course of the epidemic, according to one projection. That could last months or even over a year, with infections concentrated in shorter periods, staggered across time in different communities, experts said. As many as 200,000 to 1.7 million people could die.

And, the calculations based on the C.D.C.’s scenarios suggested, 2.4 million to 21 million people in the United States could require hospitalization, potentially crushing the nation’s medical system, which has only about 925,000 staffed hospital beds. Fewer than a tenth of those are for people who are critically ill.

18 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Worst-Case Estimates for U.S. Coronavirus Death

Worst case scenario : we all die. End of the world....  As simple as that.

Same as with the 20 previous deadly viruses in the last 20 years...

• Thumbs Up 2