What Tech Stuff do you use and What Platform?

Peter.storm

Basically my computer is a Surface Pro 6, I have the keyboard and mouse to go with it, I find this very portable and fulfills all my needs editing photos and maintaining my websites.

My cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus, I am waiting for the Note 20 Ultra to come out and will probably buy one of those rather than the S20 Plus.

I also have an iPad mini 5 which I bought because GoGoHop is available as an App in the Play store as well as the Apple Store. I need both platforms to test GoGoHop and also I need an Apple ID to upload it to the Apple Store.

I have got to like the iPad over the last six months and the only reason I use the Surface Pro was to edit photos and my Logo on Photoshop. I also had to use it sometimes to access my server for the hushAsia forum and GoGoHop. 

I have now found an iPad app called Affinity Photo that will edit like photoshop but found it difficult to use on the iPad mini so I have just bought an iPad Pro 11 inch, it was either a bigger iPad or glasses, glasses are boring!!! 

I am hoping to get all my files on to SSD's and be able to use them with my new iPad Pro and hopefully that may make my Surface Pro redundant.

I was thinking of selling the iPad mini but now decided to keep it to use as a Kindle, it is lighter to read in bed than the 11 inch. 

I use some Microsoft apps like Onenote and ToDo as they are cross platform and will be usable on all my devices with One Drive. I bought the Apple Pencil and find it great to make notes that is why I have decided to wait to buy the Note 20 not the S20 so that I can use the S pen.

So what tech stuff do you use and why?

I only use Apple as it's just easier for me , started with an iMac 27inch , then the phone , currently on the XS and use and an old SE as my Thai phone when travelling. Also have a MacBook Air which I bought for long travel stints and an iPad which I do 99% of my browsing on , I also take that on holiday if the trip is just a short one 

for me it's a brilliant system, I can access all my music ( uploaded my cd collection and stuff downloaded since ) and photographs ( 37,000 last count ) on any device I pick up and I rarely have issues with it 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

I only use Apple as it's just easier for me , started with an iMac 27inch , then the phone , currently on the XS and use and an old SE as my Thai phone when travelling. Also have a MacBook Air which I bought for long travel stints and an iPad which I do 99% of my browsing on , I also take that on holiday if the trip is just a short one 

for me it's a brilliant system, I can access all my music ( uploaded my cd collection and stuff downloaded since ) and photographs ( 37,000 last count ) on any device I pick up and I rarely have issues with it 

Sounds good, I am still getting to grips with the filing system on my iPad Pro, I use Google photos to backup my photos from my phone and have various SSD's and Thumb Drives for all my photos and video backups. 

I am trying to sort the thumb drives out so that all my XXX photos and videos are on one drive, I am a little concerned about travelling with that one through airport security. 

How does everyone else manage as I don't trust these cloud backups completely and like to have a physical backup with me

My blower is a Motorola G7. It is a fantastic mid range smartphone with a solid camera, great battery and no problems running the apps I use. I only use my phone for browsing the net and making calls. I can't recommend this phone enough for those of who want a reliable smartphone.

Macbook Pro,iPad & iPhone 5s.The missus also has a 5s & an iPad.

She watches loads of Thai & Korean stuff(with Thai subtitles) on Apple TV.

Forgot I've also got an iPod Classic in the car with all my music on it.

Edited by coxyhog

2 hours ago, Peter.storm said:

Sounds good, I am still getting to grips with the filing system on my iPad Pro, I use Google photos to backup my photos from my phone and have various SSD's and Thumb Drives for all my photos and video backups. 

I am trying to sort the thumb drives out so that all my XXX photos and videos are on one drive, I am a little concerned about travelling with that one through airport security. 

How does everyone else manage as I don't trust these cloud backups completely and like to have a physical backup with me

I use the cloud and my iMac has the hard copy , plus time capsule as back up 

I always listen to this hype about Apple. I have never had anything apple and refused to buy any apple product because of the snobbery around it. People with a apple never say " i will look on my phone" its always " I will look on my Iphone"  As I always have a contract phone,  I can have any phone I want. I did say to myself next time I'm going to have a apple just to try it out.  I also dont like being controlled, Android is very open source and works with everything. As I understand it Apple is not and has a lot of restriction on what you can do!

OK give me the reasons and benefits,  why I should try an Apple phone.

I did want the new bendy phone , but i think they are going to be a lot of problems. Do apple do one?

Edited by eyes4thais

2 hours ago, eyes4thais said:

I always listen to this hype about Apple. I have never had anything apple and refused to buy any apple product because of the snobbery around it. People with a apple never say " i will look on my phone" its always " I will look on my Iphone"  As I always have a contract phone,  I can have any phone I want. I did say to myself next time I'm going to have a apple just to try it out.  I also dont like being controlled, Android is very open source and works with everything. As I understand it Apple is not and has a lot of restriction on what you can do!

I did want the new bendy phone , but i think they are going to be a lot of problems. Do apple do one?

Yes I prefer Android phone but I needed an Apple product to get an Apple ID so I could put my App in the apple store and also to test it so I had the iPad Mini but now find that too small so I bought the iPad Pro to replace my iPad mini and my Surface Pro 6. So the Surface will be redundant but I think I will keep the mini for reading with the kindle app as it is lighter to hold.

Had I not needed the Apple ID I would have stuck with just my S10plus and Surface Pro although I am a little anti Bill Gates at the moment with all his vaccine nonsense as he cannot even stop viruses in Windows!!!!

6 hours ago, eyes4thais said:

No one is trying to persuade to to change , I don't hold Apple shares so I don't really care 😉 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

No one is trying to persuade to to change , I don't hold Apple shares so I don't really care 😉 

One thing I will say about Apple & that is the customer service I received at the Watford store was second to none....& the items I had problems with I had bought from John Lewis & Argos.

• Thumbs Up 2

My setup is geared to making me as productive as possible for my line of work which is remote database work. To do that I have a Lenovo T480s laptop (16GB ram, 512GB SSD) connected to a Startech docking station which connects to three external monitors, keyboard, mouse, hard drives, and the internet.

When I hit the road all I need do is disconnect the laptop from the docking station, pack up the external drive with my cache of movies and music, and I'm ready to go.

7 hours ago, coxyhog said:

One thing I will say about Apple & that is the customer service I received at the Watford store was second to none....& the items I had problems with I had bought from John Lewis & Argos.

Yea, I agree .... I used to have many years ago an Android phone ... I thought the OS was way to slow ....

Then many years ago I bought my first Apple phone because the banking apps I use were only available on the Apple store ( for free ) ....

The new Apple phone I bought ...just recently .. I forgot my apple password and entered it 3 times and it locked up the phone .... I took it to an Apple store and they asked for my receipt, sent a fax off to Singapore ( they don't fix locked up Apple phones in Thailand ) and three or 4 days later Apple Singapore sent me an email with a code that unlocked my Iphone .....

Plus, I like Apple policy where they respect personal privacy ... they don't just randomly give the Feds or police departments an ID to open phones .... plus, the phone is fast ... pretty much "bug" proof ... and all of the apps play peacefully together

As far as other PC gear ( to much to mention ) but, my work horse is a ThinkPad X1 Carbon with 16Gb or memory with a 2TB SSD drive ... with Windows Server 2008 , 2012, 2016 and 2019 with SQL Server 2008 R2 all the way up to SQL 2019 all under the guise of VMWare  and a version of Linux Ubuntu to browse the net .... I use it all developing data marts, data warehouses and BI dashboards for the hospitals here .....

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

When I had my first Apple phone,a 4s,I was working at an airport in the NW of England on a pretty easy going contract & I used to watch the live football whenever I worked on a weekend.

One weekend it stopped,I couldn't get it any more.So I rang Apple customer service & within a couple of hours I received a call from California....turned out it wasn't the phone it was the server but I was pretty much gobsmacked when I got that call.

20 hours ago, Stillearly said:

No I wanted people views on why apple is better and why it would be beneficial for me to change. I just wanted a list of advantages and the disadvantages, ie a constructive debate!

9 minutes ago, eyes4thais said:

No I wanted people views on why apple is better and why it would be beneficial for me to change. I just wanted a list of advantages and the disadvantages, ie a constructive debate!

Apple Macs are so much easier to use. No pop ups and annoying update messages. Operating system is basically drop and drag and is intuitive.

Windows is getting better and I have a top Dell as well but Mac for laptops and I have a Samsung phone. Again ease of use ......... I think MacBooks are design genius ...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Apple Macs are so much easier to use. No pop ups and annoying update messages. Operating system is basically drop and drag and is intuitive.

Windows is getting better and I have a top Dell as well but Mac for laptops and I have a Samsung phone. Again ease of use ......... I think MacBooks are design genius ...

At work we used Microsoft and the amount of time I spent on the phone to the help desk was insane ...or just rebooting the system myself .. complete pain in the @rse  

I have very simple needs when it comes to tech and so far Apple fits those requirements 

• Great Info 1

Apple for me, I use a iPhone and I’ve got a iPad I use for work and a MacBook Pro I use for all my other stuff at home. I had to buy a new MacBook last year because my niece spilled a fruit shoot on my old one😂 it was 6 years old and I never had a problem with it, still running like new. 

The only thing that pissed me off about the new MacBook was it only has 4 usb-c connectors. Paying £1750 for a laptop then you need to pay another £79 for a adaptor just so you can connect memory cards and external hard drives to it, it’s ridiculous not having other ports on it.And it  just looks stupid stuck on the side of the laptop 😂

42C7B763-7C71-46E5-A85E-48A17C7C46EF.jpeg

Edited by JPK
  • Great Info 1

On 4/23/2020 at 10:57 PM, Stillearly said:

At work we used Microsoft and the amount of time I spent on the phone to the help desk was insane ...or just rebooting the system myself .. complete pain in the @rse  

I have very simple needs when it comes to tech and so far Apple fits those requirements 

With the exception of the first couple releases of Windows .... I have never had a problem with Windows hanging or the BSOD ( Blue Screen of Death ) other than apps I have installed that didn't really work on Windows ... or they kinda worked ... but, not really worked ....

Even though there is some baggage and weird things MS does with Windows ... I generally like it ...