Too many Mangoes

Smiler

1926142_10202680509348881_630609031_o.jpg

This is my favourite Thai fruit, absolutely love the sweet ones, in fact I am dribbling just looking at the photo 😋

According to Mrs smiler there is a huge over supply of them this year. It's been a bumper crop in our garden (sour or sharp) and down on the farm (wan mak mak). 

Subsequently the price per kilo has fallen through the floor to as low as 10 baht. Unheard of apparently... 

Is this just local to Udon or country wide?

• Like 2

Yea .. it is my favorite as well .... I eat just about everyday ...

Not sure of the bumper crop ... maybe - I don't really know .... seems like 10 - 20 baht per kilo is normal this time of the year ... at least in the deep South ....

It is normal for us to have a bunch at home ....

IMG_4120.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, galenkia said:

Love mango but they are about £2 each in the supermarket here. 

So it's a treat rather than a regular thing. 

Yesterday I paid EUR 1.79 (GBP 1.57) each in the supermarket and those were small ones. A couple of days earlier I paid EUR 1.69 (GBP 1.48) for pretty large ones and a week before that there was special offer at EUR 1.49 (GBP 1.30).

My Thai wife has a mango farm in ubon, and she has a bumper crop, but the trucks who usually pick them up and deliver them to Bangkok no longer run, so all she can do is load a bunch in the pick up truck and try to sell in the town....

Bummer...

• Sad 2

Huge bumper crop from Sai's dad's farm up here in Mae Sot.

They are absolutely delicious but it is already reaching the too much of a good thing stage.

Same with the locally produced bananas. I bought a large bunch of the small sized variety in the village market for 10 baht.

I just had half a sweet mango with muesli for breakfast. You won't get them for 10 Baht/kg in Pattaya, the cheapest I've seen them is 35 Baht, and that was from an old lady who has a couple of mango trees in her garden. However, if there is anywhere in the South Pattaya area selling them for 10 Baht/kg, please do let me know.

20 hours ago, galenkia said:

Love mango but they are about £2 each in the supermarket here. 

So it's a treat rather than a regular thing. 

I am not that fond of the type we get here in the supermarket. 

Have you ever noticed the price of the sweet yellow ones at Swampy?

14 hours ago, Lantern said:

They do grow where I live, and I do love them. Now and again I get a bumper crop but then so has everyone else, you end up giving them away.

Mrs smiler is a farmer's daughter and so throwing produce away is kin painful and just plain wrong for her. What with all the mango we grow and the amount people are giving Yai, she has taken to burying them in the garden under the cover of darkness 😕😁

A nice gentleman on another forum has a farm up in Isaan that grow a few different fruits.

The family has set up a small shop on the front road selling the produce. Someone pulled the other day and asked if they could supply 500kg of mangoes. It was a mad scramble overnight but they managed to amass the required 500kg. They got 12 baht a kilo and the mangoes were being sent to Pattaya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

A nice gentleman on another forum has a farm up in Isaan that grow a few different fruits.

The family has set up a small shop on the front road selling the produce. Someone pulled the other day and asked if they could supply 500kg of mangoes. It was a mad scramble overnight but they managed to amass the required 500kg. They got 12 baht a kilo and the mangoes were being sent to Pattaya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even with the cost of getting the mangos to Patts ... I see a nice profit ....

• Like 1