Post a picture showing the weather where you are now.

john luke

10 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

No....people are still asking me that mate. The way I was stumbling around I wouldn't have noticed it unless the walls were caving in.

Cocksuckers in the neighborhood are starting off the fireworks in the hood early this year. They'll last at least at week. Pisses me off.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Nicest day I have seen yet this year. Didn't even break into sweat on my bike ride down to the market and back. Maybe because I'm still dehydrated from the night out with Stillearly the other night.    5555 !

Only got in 1 snap on the ride today. Weather is great !

nice.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Weather in Bangkok is perfect, humidity is much lower than a couple of weeks ago , clear skies 

IMG_4170.jpeg

That's a great photo. Wonderful light.

When I lived in Thailand ('06-'13) it was uncanny how much the weather improved after the middle of November. I got to the point where I would travel elsewhere for much of the monsoon season (Sept to mid-Nov). 

Here's the current forecast for my neck of the woods...comfortable & clear.

Screenshot 2023-11-23 060923.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I figured this might be coming with the unseasonably warm weather we have been enjoying for the past few days - hasn't even gone below freezing for the last 36hrs or so; this involves over 200 miles of the only road route to Alaska at this point so it's pretty serious:

403720464_669521048634528_6908583708865490683_n.jpg

• Surprised 2

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

Well Thank Buddha for global warming, otherwise Montreal might have been REALLY hit hard…,.,

IMG_0136.jpeg

That's what it should look like around here right now but we only have about an inch of snow on the ground, most unusual for December - supposed to snow 2-4cm later today but warm at only -10C.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

That's what it should look like around here right now but we only have about an inch of snow on the ground, most unusual for December - supposed to snow 2-4cm later today but warm at only -10C.

Don’t know how you guys live in climates like that. I hate the cold so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Don’t know how you guys live in climates like that. I hate the cold so much.

When you have been dealing with it for a lifetime it becomes second nature, just something you have to live with - nowadays it isn't the cold so much that bothers me, it's the darkness this time of year and constantly having to clear snow, and the boredom; winters were much colder here when I was a child in the 60's, I can remember walking a kilometre to school in temperatures as low as -50C when I was as young as six - if both of your parents had to work, as mine did, they weren't available to give you a ride and there was nobody at home to mind you so it was off to school you went. Some kids stayed home but the schools always had to remain open just for the sake of we kids that had nowhere else to go. Today you pass the elementary schools at leaving time and the streets are full of cars waiting to pick up their little darlings - we never had this, we always walked and never really thought much about it. We always went outside to play in that pre-computer age, when it was really cold we just didn't go out for as long - I used to pull my toboggan 2km to go and slide all day and then have to pull it all the way home again, sometimes I was almost frozen stiff by the time I got home but I'd still go and do it the next weekend, the fun was worth it; we didn't have all of the high-tech clothing you can buy  today but we just got accustomed to making do with what we had. I think those early years of coping with the northern winter environment helped me a lot when I had to go out and work in it as an adult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

When you have been dealing with it for a lifetime it becomes second nature, just something you have to live with - nowadays it isn't the cold so much that bothers me, it's the darkness this time of year and constantly having to clear snow, and the boredom; winters were much colder here when I was a child in the 60's, I can remember walking a kilometre to school in temperatures as low as -50C when I was as young as six - if both of your parents had to work, as mine did, they weren't available to give you a ride and there was nobody at home to mind you so it was off to school you went. Some kids stayed home but the schools always had to remain open just for the sake of we kids that had nowhere else to go. Today you pass the elementary schools at leaving time and the streets are full of cars waiting to pick up their little darlings - we never had this, we always walked and never really thought much about it. We always went outside to play in that pre-computer age, when it was really cold we just didn't go out for as long - I used to pull my toboggan 2km to go and slide all day and then have to pull it all the way home again, sometimes I was almost frozen stiff by the time I got home but I'd still go and do it the next weekend, the fun was worth it; we didn't have all of the high-tech clothing you can buy  today but we just got accustomed to making do with what we had. I think those early years of coping with the northern winter environment helped me a lot when I had to go out and work in it as an adult.

Same experience for me growing up in MN and WI, although it was unusual to have temps as low as what you experienced farther north.

Living in MN I rode a school bus, but WI walked about a mile to Jr High and HS. Uphill both ways. :default_biggrin: Didn't matter how cold it got, schools didn't close unless there was enough snow to make the roads impassable. We enjoyed the snow days for the break they afforded from the boredom of school. There were a couple of years when we exceeded the allowed number of snow days and had to make up the missed days with an extended school calendar. But as I grew older the number of snow days declined to the point where I'm hard pressed to remember the last time school closed because of too much snow. Another casualty of the warming climate.

Fast forward to my children's' school days and one day in particular sticks out in my mind as to how soft we've gotten. We lived directly across the street from my kids grade school. One clear, bright and sunny winter day we dressed our kids for the short walk to school and sent them off. A few minutes later my two children returned home telling me there was no crossing guard at the corner, so they turned around and came home. I threw on my winter coat and walked them over to the school where I was met at the front door by the principal. The principal advised me school was closed for the day as it was, get this, too cold.

Apparently the school had a policy they would close if temps fell below a certain temp as it was too dangerous for children riding the bus. The thinking went if the bus broke down the children would be put at risk. Never mind the bus had a radio and could very easily call for backup transport, well before the children turned into popsicles.

But this is the world we now live in. Any risk is too great, and we have policies like the above "out of an abundance of caution", which is a phrase I've come to loathe.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Same experience for me growing up in MN and WI, although it was unusual to have temps as low as what you experienced farther north.

Living in MN I rode a school bus, but WI walked about a mile to Jr High and HS. Uphill both ways. :default_biggrin: Didn't matter how cold it got, schools didn't close unless there was enough snow to make the roads impassable. We enjoyed the snow days for the break they afforded from the boredom of school. There were a couple of years when we exceeded the allowed number of snow days and had to make up the missed days with an extended school calendar. But as I grew older the number of snow days declined to the point where I'm hard pressed to remember the last time school closed because of too much snow. Another casualty of the warming climate.

Fast forward to my children's' school days and one day in particular sticks out in my mind as to how soft we've gotten. We lived directly across the street from my kids grade school. One clear, bright and sunny winter day we dressed our kids for the short walk to school and sent them off. A few minutes later my two children returned home telling me there was no crossing guard at the corner, so they turned around and came home. I threw on my winter coat and walked them over to the school where I was met at the front door by the principal. The principal advised me school was closed for the day as it was, get this, too cold.

Apparently the school had a policy they would close if temps fell below a certain temp as it was too dangerous for children riding the bus. The thinking went if the bus broke down the children would be put at risk. Never mind the bus had a radio and could very easily call for backup transport, well before the children turned into popsicles.

But this is the world we now live in. Any risk is too great, and we have policies like the above "out of an abundance of caution", which is a phrase I've come to loathe.

Ain't that the truth; a couple of the schools I patrol at night on my security job are plastered with notices banning peanuts and dogs because of allergies, and I can't help but wonder why we never saw this sort of stuff in our youth - if you had problems back then you dealt with them on your own, you didn't inflict them on everyone else. I have it on good authority that in one of these schools, it is one child who is allergic to dogs yet the whole school, including the grounds, is off limit to animals that can bring so much joy into a child's life - seems kind of selfish to me. As for our school busses -  which we have many of because our community covers a huge area - they run in every kind of weather and if they break down or get held up, they'll announce it on public radio and with modern communications, the service doesn't get held up for long. 

• Like 3