Hakuna Matata from East Africa

Mr. Smooth

11 hours ago, Pinoydave said:

@Mr. Smooth can you recommend any reasonable hotels in Mtwapa.

been looking recently as the flights are better than Thailand, but then I saw you have to get a $50 visa!

For the last 4-5 years, I've stayed at the Prestige Apartments. These are fully furnished 1 bdrm apts, with aircon and ceiling fans, electronic safes, 2 pools, 24 hr reception, security is very good, and any outside guests must have an ID to be allowed inside the property.

I posted pics of my apt in my previous Kenya trip report.

In addition, it is under ownership by an Indian-Muslim family, but they are very cool and treat me as family since I've been a returning customer. As such, there is no alcohol sold at the restaurant and none is allowed to be consumed in the pool areas. But there is no problem with purchasing from an outside store or shop and drinking inside your apt.

There is also the Mona Lisa Hotel, which I haven't stayed at in about 5 years, Prime Comfort Apts, Jambo Travelers Hotel among others. You can find a list on Tripadvisor or just google "Mtwapa hotels and apts", and you'll find just about every accommodation available.

On this last trip, Prestige gave me a rate for a 1 bdrm at 2500 shillings per night, which equaled roughly $21.50 USD per night. But this was pretty much the low season. It would be higher from about November through March or so. And if it's just a standard room you want, they expanded a few years ago by adding on two floors with just regular rooms, but all with tv, aircon, fan, room safe and double bed. Those run about 2,000 KES per night, or about $17 USD, in the low season.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the report, I've been interested in Kenya for a long time - probably since your first reports, not to mention enjoying the odd Kenyan "visitor" in Thailand myself on occasion; a long way to go for us North Americans but would appear to be well worth it. I look forward to hearing more of your adventures there when we meet up again in Pattaya  this December...

• Like 2

Great TR and pics MR.Smooth TFP. I had the pleasure of a holiday in Kenya back in the early 2000's, it was brill and the gals were fun and great company. I stayed in a hotel about 20 miles north along the coast from Mombassa, i think from memory it was called the Flamingo Hotel. I will never forget the stunning young Whitney Houston lookalike that looked after me.  

I would recco to any guy looking for a fun time with sassy gals.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

. I will never forget the stunning young Whitney Houston lookalike that looked after me.  

Whao..Whao..... hold on there ....... I had a young slim tiny Whitney Houston lookalike take care of me in Accra .. Stunning in a white bikini.... I think that she was Nigerian by birth...Anyways she said that she had just arrived from Kenya ...............

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Whao..Whao..... hold on there ....... I had a young slim tiny Whitney Houston lookalike take care of me in Accra .. Stunning in a white bikini.... I think that she was Nigerian by birth...Anyways she said that she had just arrived from Kenya ...............

When I was first deciding on what country in Africa to visit, the one factor that had to be a necessity, was that it be an English-speaking country. Besides Kenya, my other choice was Ghana. I've seen pics, read up on nightlife, accommodations, the beach areas (Labadi Beach I believe is the primary public beach in Accra), women, the cost, etc...and whenever it is that I decide to give West Africa a go, Ghana will more than likely be the destination.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

When I was first deciding on what country in Africa to visit, the one factor that had to be a necessity, was that it be an English-speaking country. Besides Kenya, my other choice was Ghana. I've seen pics, read up on nightlife, accommodations, the beach areas (Labadi Beach I believe is the primary public beach in Accra), women, the cost, etc...and whenever it is that I decide to give West Africa a go, Ghana will more than likely be the destination.

Gambia was good 👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Labadi Beach I believe is the primary public beach in Accra

Yep but sometimes the sea can be "very angry" all along that coast line!

Labadi Beach had Bob Marley weekends every now and then because that is where his missus settled down.

My job took me all over the country and, apart from Kumasi, it is a wonderful country and culture.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

12 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Isn't that where fat old farang women go for their annual dose of black truncheon ..??

So i believe but i did'nt personally see any but when holidaying in the Seychelles it was rampant in the beach hotel i stayed at, the local guys were queuing up to service the fat old farang women lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yep but sometimes the sea can be "very angry" all along that coast line!

Labadi Beach had Bob Marley weekends every now and then because that is where his missus settled down.

My job took me all over the country and, apart from Kumasi, it is a wonderful country and culture.

Ah, you would be an Obruni Koko then.... I've been to Labadi Beach many times. That was back in the days of Afrikiko bar and Le Reve night club in Accra. Yes a great and friendly country..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great TR once again Eric. Sitting here getting shitfaced in Montreal since 5 PM. An African bank manager sat next to me, at about 6 PM and a stunner, an 11, bumped into me on the way to the terrace. Finally at 8 PM we’re both paying out tabs, I politely ask where everyone is from. She was from Senegal, I wanted to grab a snap but as pissed as I am I just wished them both a good evening. A freaking knockout…..No words

Moral of my story…..African ladies SEVERELY underrated IMHO

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Great TR once again Eric. Sitting here getting shitfaced in Montreal since 5 PM. An African bank manager sat next to me, at about 6 PM and a stunner, an 11, bumped into me on the way to the terrace. Finally at 8 PM we’re both paying out tabs, I politely ask where everyone is from. She was from Senegal, I wanted to grab a snap but as pissed as I am I just wished them both a good evening. A freaking knockout…..No words

Moral of my story…..African ladies SEVERELY underrated IMHO

With all due respect to Whitney Houston, who was mentioned earlier, I've seen stunners in Kenya that would make her look like a plate of warmed over goulash.

A deceased Welshmen who went by the nickname of "Bugle", due to a prominent nose, who I first met at the Shamrock Bar in Pattaya in the mid to late 90's, once told me that some years before, he worked for a French oil company as a foreman in the Nigerian Delta. The men working under him were all paid a $10 USD per diem "allowance" in addition to their salary. When he asked what that was for, the guy who was interviewing him said that he hoped he wouldn't be offended, but that the men on their off-duty time, were known to have a drink and "enjoy" themselves with the local lasses.

Sure enough, when he told me how gorgeous some of these Nigerian women looked, he mentioned that even Naomie Campbell, who was probably the top black model then, couldn't even compare with many of them.

1 minute ago, Mr. Smooth said:

With all due respect to Whitney Houston, who was mentioned earlier, I've seen stunners in Kenya that would make her look like a plate of warmed over goulash.

A deceased Welshmen who went by the nickname of "Bugle", due to a prominent nose, who I first met at the Shamrock Bar in Pattaya in the mid to late 90's, once told me that some years before, he worked for a French oil company as a foreman in the Nigerian Delta. The men working under him were all paid a $10 USD per diem "allowance" in addition to their salary. When he asked what that was for, the guy who was interviewing him said that he hoped he wouldn't be offended, but that the men on their off-duty time, were known to have a drink and "enjoy" themselves with the local lasses.

Sure enough, when he told me how gorgeous some of these Nigerian women looked, he mentioned that even Naomie Campbell, who was probably the top black model then, couldn't even compare with many of them.

Good story Eric. Hey no joke if I haven’t checked in Thursday you know what it is…..overdid it bro

• Haha 1

I have never been to Africa.

The closest I got was on a Company all expenses paid *"beno" to Spain via Gibraltar. Why we flew to Gibraltar will forever be a mystery.

One of the optional trips was taking this ancient DC9 (?) over to Morocco to visit the Kasbah to buy overpriced carpets.

A few of us more sensible types stayed behind to play the Spanish Hotel's own Golf course. 😄

*Cockney for "Piss Up"