Looking to Buy a Pool Villa

ChiFlyer

13 hours ago, KWA said:

Etsy is just a platform like ebay (although a bit more niche) so concentrate on individual seller reviews.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etsy

Just as a note, it appears that most (all ?) of the Etsy sellers only accept Paypal. My US Paypal account is unusable because of phone number problems. I tried to create a Thai Paypal account, but was unable to do so without a Thai National ID. Will talk to the TGF T-Fiancee tomorrow about creating one in her name.       

On 2/13/2023 at 11:33 PM, ChiFlyer said:

We continue to make progress little by little getting the place where we want it to be in order to move in. I am looking for a few shopping tips.

• A nice set of dishes. As many of you know, I like to do home cooking. Most of our dishes in the condo belong to the owner, so I am looking for a nice set of dishes. Found a set on Lazada that I really liked. I must have spent 2 hours picking out exactly what I wanted. Today (4 weeks later) the order was cancelled and is now listed as "Out of Stock". Anyway, any recommendations for in store shopping. I am looking for a little more upscale items.
  • Bedding. We have inherited a very large bed (84" x 84") in the master bedroom. I have an order into Lazada for 7 ft. bed sheets. That order was placed the same day as the dishes, so I am expecting that this order will soon also tank. I have found an internet site with some very nice extra large bedding. Sounds like they might be out of the UK. Anybody ever use these guys. Based on their reviews the customers, for the most part, seem to love them and their products.

https://www.etsy.com/market/custom_bed_sheets

tia

Strange things that can happen in Thailand (or most anywhere for that matter) -> The Lazada file.

The bed sheets arrived today. Will try out the fitting on Friday (next working visit to the house) and probably pursue the etsy products for a second set.

I got a Lazada delivery today for the dishes that were cancelled. They sent two rice bowls out of the order for (8 dinner plates, 4 serving plates, 4 noodle bowls, and 4 rice bowls). I guess this is progress. The sad news is that I went through the refund notice and they refunded me for 4 rice bowls and only 2 noddle bowls. The noodle bowls cost double what the rice bowls cost. Long phone call with Lazada tomorrow. 😞 

The even sadder news is based on the rice bowls the dishes are exactly what I want. I will attempt to recreate the order. Advice to CF is split the order up into separate orders so as to reduce the administrative complexity on checking things out. Dumbass.

The TVs were older in the house we bought, so they are not internet ready. In my case, I do not care as I watch TV via an HDMI connection from my high end laptop. Got that working today in the master bedroom. Ok - vampire TV shows to go to sleep to. The TGF T-Fiancee does like to watch Thai TV via an internet connection. Going to stop in at Num Chai tomorrow to buy a higher end 55" internet ready TV for the living room. I liked Sony Bravia back in the states. May well go with one of those, despite the cost.

Had the main Thai work crew out today for a 90 minute chat about what else we want to do at this time. The list is at about 6 items right now. More later.

Oh - bought a fairly decent home office desk and chair from Index Living Mall yesterday. Not perfect, but more than meets my needs and looks decent enough. Pricey at about 17,000. Hey I spend a lot of time at this work area, might as well enjoy the setup.

The overall start-up budget seems to be holding at 500,000 so far. We move the T-fiancee's shoes soon. I feel trepidation.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2

Progress continues.

We caught a Bolt ride out to the house today due to our car being in the shop. Got some stuff done.

• A new internet capable TV was delivered and installed in the living room. My Thai life partner is happy. It is a 55" Panasonic (not my first choice). But hey this is her TV and this is the one she liked the best at Num Chai. I have other TVs to use with HDMI connections from my laptop for my viewing habits. Only problem for the new TV is that the old LG wall mounting rack does not accommodate the Panasonic, so we will have to buy a new wall mounting rack (estimated cost about 4000).
  • The Electrolux technicians came out on a service call to determine why the dishwasher is not working. The guys did a good job analyzing the situation, but left me with some decisions to make.
    • The problem is the water line feed, which can be replaced for about 5000 and labor.
    • On the other hand the dishwasher is getting more than a little long in the tooth. Other problems are more than possible going forward. I contacted Electrolux in the UK (their home office) and they also made this point.
    • A new DW that matched the kitchen decor would cost 49,000 plus labor.
    • A base new DW that did not have the kitchen matching decor would cost 30,000 plus labor.
    • I am likely to do the short term fix and revisit the longer term problem later, due to all the other costs in play right now.

Going over to Chonburi tomorrow to meet with the insurance company about the car problem. Will use Bolt again. btw - the pricing for Bolt service is absurd. For today's 20 km ride to the house we were quoted 48. How the f**k can a driver stay in business? The guy was on time and good, so I gave him 300. He was very happy. Will have him back tomorrow at 10 AM for the drive to Chonburi and back.

My Thai life partner heads up to Khon Kean on Sunday to take care of some Land Office paperwork tied to our upcoming marriage. The cost of that will likely be 9,000 for the round trip taxi drive and 50,000 for the Land Office paperwork.

And I should be buying her a wedding ring. Don't get me wrong. All of this crap has been just as stressful for her as it is for me. She is doing more than a great job of standing up to these situations. I could not have done these things without her.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 3

Ok - maybe I had a karma problem today.

• The TW is taking care of paperwork in Khon Kean, so I drove out to the house to take care of a few things.
  • Got said things taken care of, but when I went to leave the remote for the car entry gate for the covered parking at the house did not work. I could hear the unit making a little hum, but the gate would not open. I tried to open it manually, but that did not work. The TW called the office on my behalf and within a few minutes a security guy showed up and we got the gate open and working. Appears that despite my oiling with WD40 one of the wheels had gotten stuck We lifted it off of the track, oiled it again, and all was well.
  • Whilst I was waiting for the help, I closed the fridge door a little hard, and the Coca Cola shelf came crashing down. It was edged in such a way that it took 15 minutes to get it out. hmmm - I guess I have bought a 15 year old house. 🙂
  • With all things finally straightened away, I did an internet search for a nearby Massage Parlor. Looking for a regular massage with possible options depending on the therapist. Found an interesting one, internet wise, about 15 minutes South in Satahip. Drove over and the place was one that I wanted no part of. Just me.
  • Ok Buddha - better karma tomorrow. I will be a good guy. Not sure what I did wrong in the first place. 🙂

Edited by ChiFlyer

8 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:
  • With all things finally straightened away, I did an internet search for a nearby Massage Parlor. Looking for a regular massage with possible options depending on the therapist. Found an interesting one, internet wise, about 15 minutes South in Satahip. Drove over and the place was one that I wanted no part of. Just me.

I usually go to Friendly massage opposite the Ambassador. They have individual rooms for the oil massage. Currently 7 massage ladies working, most of them old and experienced. 10 minutes or 7.5 km from your place.

Edited by CampariO
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Ok - maybe I had a karma problem today.

• The TW is taking care of paperwork in Khon Kean, so I drove out to the house to take care of a few things.
  • Got said things taken care of, but when I went to leave the remote for the car entry gate for the covered parking at the house did not work. I could hear the unit making a little hum, but the gate would not open. I tried to open it manually, but that did not work. The TW called the office on my behalf and within a few minutes a security guy showed up and we got the gate open and working. Appears that despite my oiling with WD40 one of the wheels had gotten stuck We lifted it off of the track, oiled it again, and all was well.
  • Whilst I was waiting for the help, I closed the fridge door a little hard, and the Coca Cola shelf came crashing down. It was edged in such a way that it took 15 minutes to get it out. hmmm - I guess I have bought a 15 year old house. 🙂
  • Ok Buddha - better karma tomorrow. I will be a good guy. Not sure what I did wrong in the first place. 🙂

If you're using WD40 on the bearings, not a good idea (link). What I use is a teflon spray (link), which is also what I use on my bike chains.

About once a year I'll also use a grease gun to put down a layer of grease on the lower and upper track for the gate.

• Like 1

A Q 4 any of you guys who married a Thai lady.

I went up to the US Embassy in Bangkok today to get notarized versions of the two documents that Thailand requires for a non-Thai to marry a Thai national. Bangkok traffic (I was not driving) has actually gotten worse IMO.

Anyway the document that states that I am legally able to marry needs to be translated into Pasathai before we can apply for a license. Is there anything special about the authority level of the translator that needs to be kept in mind, or can I just Google "translation services" and go to a nearby one. Estimated cost?

TIA,

CF

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 10:16 AM, SteveBC said:

MySafe, Pattaya Klang opposite to Harbor Mall.

As the name suggests, they only sell safes and have a huge selection in all price ranges.

Also, if you ever have any problem they are happy and quick to help out and carry a good range of common spare parts too.

I bought a safe at this store today. Nicely run small business IMO.

The staff was courteous, informative, and attentive without being pushy. They had a wide range of products to choose from. Hell, they even carried the purchased safe across the street to where we parked by Harborland.

I bought a small starter safe for 3500 that should meet my needs.       

• Thumbs Up 1

We are shopping to purchase a gold wedding band for my T-fiancee We stopped by Gems Gallery on Pattaya Nua today.

http://www.gems-gallery.com/mobile/index.php?r=site/storeInfo&store_name=pattaya

Their up-sell is kind of humorous. When you arrive they take you on a Disneyland like rail cart ride that gives a grammar school coverage of the history of gems. Takes the better part of 1/2 hour. The fiancee seemed to enjoy it.

Afterward we viewed some rings. They had some nice items in the 35,000 to 40,000 range. hmmm.

I am looking for any recommendations about other stores to check out. I would prefer to stay out of the Central Pats area.

tia,

CF 

Edited by ChiFlyer

• 2 weeks later...

I assembled my recently purchased Weber Grill today. I tried doing this outside next to the pool. I had trouble doing this.

The parts would just not attach/fit the way the schematics pictured. I thought for a bit thinking that I had no trouble doing this in 55 F degree weather in Chicago. The light dawns. I put the grill parts directly under the air conditioner for 30 minutes and all was a breeze from there. 🙂

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/26/2023 at 11:58 PM, ChiFlyer said:

I assembled my recently purchased Weber Grill today. I tried doing this outside next to the pool. I had trouble doing this.

The parts would just not attach/fit the way the schematics pictured. I thought for a bit thinking that I had no trouble doing this in 55 F degree weather in Chicago. The light dawns. I put the grill parts directly under the air conditioner for 30 minutes and all was a breeze from there. 🙂

Getting older continues to be a bitch. I am 73 now. From the light workout of assembling the Weber Grill yesterday I strained something in my knee. Hobbling a bit today. Looks like I should lose a little pride and make better use of the available dirt cheap Thai labor market. 😞

• Thumbs Up 2

We had a visitor today.

IMG_4082.JPG

IMG_4083.JPG

What is disturbing is that this MF is obviously not afraid of me. I was in the pool when he sauntered in across the top of my pool wall and began his feast. Again looking at the pic he has not been going hungry. When I approached him, he showed me his rather formidable teeth. I called the T-fiancee out to help me just so he was flanked. That did the trick, but he grabbed a bag of goodies to take with him. I have spoken with the T-fiancee about not leaving goodies out that would interest our new friend. Given his approach and attitude, I doubt this is his first visit. 

We called the property security just to report it and they said this was the first reported monkey incident. I sense bs.

Anyway, after finishing this post I need to search Lazada for slingshots and pellet guns. His confidence needs to take a beating. Angry.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Monkeys are nasty creatures that can easily rip your face off. You have the right idea to buy something that can scare them off from a distance.

Started building the arsenal today.

I ordered a slingshot for the T-fiancee (her preference) and a ball bearing gun for myself. The MF is going down if he returns. His arrogance is more than I am willing to look past.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Fired up the recently purchased Weber Grill tonight. I really enjoyed this. It was something I missed living in a condo.

This is my "New Mexico Rubbed Steak" recipe that had been previously covered as a stove-top grill pan work around. So much better on an outdoor grill.

A few pics

New Mexico Rubbed Steak - A.jpg

New Mexico Rubbed Steak - B.jpg

New Mexico Rubbed Steak - C.jpg

New Mexico Rubbed Steak - D.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 1:20 AM, forcebwithu said:

Make your own hot water heater. Just need a roll of copper tubing, a couple of hoses and a pump, oh and a fire pit to heat the water flowing through the copper tubing. :default_biggrin:

Pictures of our makeshift pool/hot tub from one of our annual Mississippi River houseboat cruises.

P1010014.JPG

P1010105.JPG

The trouble with warm baths is that at my age I tend to leak a bit of piss.😒 Which is a shame, as my wife always liked to bath with me. Now, I tend to shower where possible, but we can still enjoy a soapy in the shower, so not all is lost to old age.😍

• Thumbs Up 1

Buddhist House Blessing Party

We are having a Buddhist House Blessing Party tomorrow. This was not my favorite idea, but it was important to my partner. So I went along with it.

Prep work began today. A few pics to follow.

IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

Used to be my car park. Now a serving area.

IMG_4094.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Thumbs Up 4

Buddhist House Blessing Party Part 2

The prep work continues well into the night. The Tfiancee's relatives have arrived from the North (Khon Kean) after a 10 hour drive. A few more pics.

IMG_4097.JPG

IMG_4098.JPG

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Buddhist House Blessing Party

We are having a Buddhist House Blessing Party tomorrow. This was not my favorite idea, but it was important to my partner. So I went along with it.

Prep work began today. A few pics to follow.

IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

Used to be my car park. Now a serving area.

IMG_4094.jpg

We had one when we had finished refurbishing and extending our UK house back in 2017. 

Very important to my wife and her family, (FIL organised the one for HUA HIN house) so it had to be done. The family (6) flew over for 6 months and I had absolutely nothing to do with organising anything, as wife, inlaws and 50 of the wife’s friends did it all. Absolutely loads of food and as usual the girls had several courses spread over the day and well into the night. 
Organised 3 monks and helpers to come down from Birmingham. When the monks had left to go home FIL and I plus a few husbands of wife’s girlfriends had a few drinks. 
 Went the day well. 
Actually I really enjoyed it, as I did the house blessing in Thailand. 
It has to be done, so enjoy it.  👍

• Like 3

The Buddhist House Warming Party - Part 3

Well we had the actual event today. Lots of chanting by the monks. I was an occasional source of amusement to the audience, as I had no idea what I was supposed to do a couple of times. Goes with the turf, I guess.

The event also doubled as an engagement ceremony as we have decided that we do not want a wedding party. Everybody got drunk enough on my nickle today.

A few pics - I would show pics of the engagement ceremony, but that would require that I post pics of friends and lovers on the internet. I prefer not to do that.

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Meanwhile, back at the swimming pool.

We seem to have settled down a bit activity wise from the moving and getting the house startup activities done. I am starting to notice additional things that need to be done. Went for a night time swim tonight and noticed that one of the under water lights was out. 

Like I have said before, I have never owned a swimming pool before. I am guessing that this is an easy fix, but would prefer not to electrocute myself. Turn off the light, hmm maybe kill the electricity to the pool, unscrew the mounting, replace the bulb, reset the mounting, get out of the pool, turn on electricity, test the light.

Any comments? 

Edited by ChiFlyer