The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

When I was in hospital last month they would take my blood pressure around four or five times a day. Lowest reading was 104 and the highest 156, but times around the 120/130 range, but I do take medication for it.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

When I was in hospital last month they would take my blood pressure around four or five times a day. Lowest reading was 104 and the highest 156, but times around the 120/130 range, but I do take medication for it.

There’s a Sopranos FB group I’m on, just non-stop hilarious references to the show 24/7. One Swedish guy I friended we talk a lot, well he posted a memory from a year ago of his rehab from stroke, his BP was similar to yours last year, astronomical 2xx-something…..He was only 39 I believe, so count yourself lucky you got the medication to treat it Allan

I still need someone to show me around Bracknell one day, unless there some Asian ladies available in that district

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, galenkia said:

I’m actually living in Twickenham now in Jan’s flat with her flatmate Sally. No mortgage so we just go halves on the bills.

Costs me less than half my rent before, and I have known her over 15 years so have always got on well.

Hope you are well mate….nephew had a psychosis Sunday night, had I not visited him it might have been a suicide 12 hours later….went off all his meds for 2-3 days AND still vaped & smoked weed….It wasn’t pretty, I left with one shoe in -10C weather. His brother was back on the phone with him and called 911, I came back just as they arrived & it went smoothly….

He’s better now but I really fear for his future, he wants his independence, so do we, but he can’t stop getting into trouble and spending his whole cheque….gym, vitamins, takeout, smoking, online whores…..it’s sad mate 

So Mom buys food and pajamas, I’ve been to see him twice this week in the ward, but his actual mother? No, no can do, she lives a whopping 20 miles away north of the hospital, with an excruciating 38 hour work week to boot…God forbid she grabs a bus and a train to visit her own son. Yet Mom still wonders why I hate my sister….OH speak of the devil, it’s 6:15 Friday, must be at the lesbian happy hour in the Gay Village right about now 

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Hope you are well mate….nephew had a psychosis Sunday night, had I not visited him it might have been a suicide 12 hours later….went off all his meds for 2-3 days AND still vaped & smoked weed….It wasn’t pretty, I left with one shoe in -10C weather. His brother was back on the phone with him and called 911, I came back just as they arrived & it went smoothly….

He’s better now but I really fear for his future, he wants his independence, so do we, but he can’t stop getting into trouble and spending his whole cheque….gym, vitamins, takeout, smoking, online whores…..it’s sad mate 

So Mom buys food and pajamas, I’ve been to see him twice this week in the ward, but his actual mother? No, no can do, she lives a whopping 20 miles away north of the hospital, with an excruciating 38 hour work week to boot…God forbid she grabs a bus and a train to visit her own son. Yet Mom still wonders why I hate my sister….OH speak of the devil, it’s 6:15 Friday, must be at the lesbian happy hour in the Gay Village right about now 

Sorry to say. But, sometimes (more times than not) it can be better to stay separated. Because once certain mental health issues develope into a long term situation there is little other family members can do.

I know that is extremely difficult to do when you love someone, along with the fear of guilt that could be associated later if he escalates. Sometimes the underlying source which contributed to mental health issues were/are based on emotional conflicts that were established within the family (not making judgement, it just is what it is). 

Interacting with another family member who is struggling can reach a point where the related stress outweigh the benefits (especially for the individual who may be preceived as needing the help). Also, co-dependance issues can arise, which only enables the behaviour(s) to continue.

Finding or having an indepenant, knowageable, responsible case worker to assist him may be a better approach. The case worker can then report back to you from time to time, if all agree to that kind of arrangement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you have HRV?

What is HRV?

Can you get HRV with a side of fries?

Heart rate variability. In simple terms, if you heart beats with the precision of a Swiss watch say one beat every 1000ms (1 second) then you would have a heart rate (HR) of 60 BPM but no HRV. If, on the other hand, the interval between beats was slightly erratic say 950ms, 1050ms, 900ms, 1100ms then you would also have a HR of 60 BPM but with HRV.

If there is no underlying disease or cause then a high HRV is good. HRV can be considered an indication of overall fitness.

HRV reduces naturally with age.

Over training can reduce HRV.

There is an app, ithlete - https://www.myithlete.com/, that some people use to plan their training days. In my younger days I used it all the time. For some reason I always found it necessary to restrict myself to a light workout due to a low HRV, well I thought it was low.

Polar HR monitors calculate a thing called fitness based on HRV.

HRV is measured when you are at rest. Polar, for example, suggest you wear your chest strap and device when you sleep to get the best reading.

Any device/app combination that communicate over BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) should be able to calculate HRV because the protocol for BLE HRMs requires they supply the heart rate interval in binary milliseconds (1024ths of a second).Devices which use photoplethysmography are not considered as accurate as those which detect the heart beat electrically. e.g. chest strap.

Why did I make this post. Wel I thought it might be of interest and then @Yessongs posted a photo of his oximeter and I remembered the oximeter I got during the pandemic also displayed HRV. This one

image.png

It is unbranded but the model is YWK-J1 and available from a number of sellers on Aliexpress so shop around if interested. The app is called Oximeter-H. PI stands for perfusion index.

There's plenty of information on the internet about HRV so do your own research.

And yes, photoplethysmography is a real word.

Photoplethysmography (PPG) is a simple optical technique used to detect volumetric changes in blood in peripheral circulation.

It's the little green LED that flashed on the underside of wrist fitness devices etc.

• Great Info 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Saw my psychiatrist earlier, and she was actually happy with me compared to our previous visit.

She wants to see me again and is considering taking me off her patient schedule if she is happy with me next meeting. So looking positive.

Just need the weather to improve and get a bike and get out riding.

Thanks just remembered I last saw mine 9/29, and he gave me an appointment around Easter…..Think it will be my last one, everyone thinks I went nuts but you get whatever I got, then don’t sleep for a month and we’ll see if you don’t feel like jumping in front of a train, too…..

My guy is a total tool….Things did go better, but only once I got infinitely better….Cannot believe they go to medical school just to sit and say “How are you, OK, OK, that sounds about right”…..F—k me

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Thanks just remembered I last saw mine 9/29, and he gave me an appointment around Easter…..Think it will be my last one, everyone thinks I went nuts but you get whatever I got, then don’t sleep for a month and we’ll see if you don’t feel like jumping in front of a train, too…..

My guy is a total tool….Things did go better, but only once I got infinitely better….Cannot believe they go to medical school just to sit and say “How are you, OK, OK, that sounds about right”…..F—k me

Mine is a really nice African lady called Thani. She was really impressed with me considering when she saw me in January.

I was struggling a little while ago, but I’m a lot better now.

I just need to get a bike and get out riding, will help me out so much mentally compared to sitting indoors all the time.

• Thumbs Up 3

54 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Mine is a really nice African lady called Thani. She was really impressed with me considering when she saw me in January.

I was struggling a little while ago, but I’m a lot better now.

I just need to get a bike and get out riding, will help me out so much mentally compared to sitting indoors all the time.

Clocks change next month as well , lighter evenings , longer days , spring , everything is easier to be more positive about  👍

• Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, galenkia said:

Saw my psychiatrist earlier, and she was actually happy with me compared to our previous visit.

She wants to see me again and is considering taking me off her patient schedule if she is happy with me next meeting. So looking positive.

Just need the weather to improve and get a bike and get out riding.

If your take off the patient list you should celebrate by getting smashed 😜,,but seriously im only on a pcx over here but out on it everyday,i sometimes think guys who dont ride a bike are missing out on something special here,its a great feeling being out on the road,especially scenic coastal routes which are in abundance here,ive prob mentioned this before ,get yerself up to the west coast of scotland on the nc500 road,amazing scenery and many guesthouses or camping spots along the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

If your take off the patient list you should celebrate by getting smashed 😜,,but seriously im only on a pcx over here but out on it everyday,i sometimes think guys who dont ride a bike are missing out on something special here,its a great feeling being out on the road,especially scenic coastal routes which are in abundance here,ive prob mentioned this before ,get yerself up to the west coast of scotland on the nc500 road,amazing scenery and many guesthouses or camping spots along the way.

Read about the NC in bike magazines before. Does sound good. Need to do a good bike trip once it’s warmer and drier.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

Read about the NC in bike magazines before. Does sound good. Need to do a good bike trip once it’s warmer and drier.

Although I don't think 500 Gammas were ever noted for their touring range and comfort lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Butch said:

Although I don't think 500 Gammas were ever noted for their touring range and comfort lol.

I’d be lucky to get one off the M25 before it went bang.

😂

Do miss the old stinkwheels, brilliant back in the day.

But I want a nice shiny new four stroke. Was wanting to get one ASAP, but the weather forecast ain’t good, plus I have a heart ultra sound on the 9th so see what that says. Don’t want the old ticker packing up when I’m doing jail sentence speed.

😂

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, galenkia said:

I’d be lucky to get one off the M25 before it went bang.

😂

Do miss the old stinkwheels, brilliant back in the day.

But I want a nice shiny new four stroke. Was wanting to get one ASAP, but the weather forecast ain’t good, plus I have a heart ultra sound on the 9th so see what that says. Don’t want the old ticker packing up when I’m doing jail sentence speed.

😂

Velcro and very small number plates are your friend.

Be very interested to see what you eventually decide on mate. Got any idea what you're after?.

I've always been a Yamaha or Kawasaki fan myself.

27 minutes ago, Butch said:

Velcro and very small number plates are your friend.

Be very interested to see what you eventually decide on mate. Got any idea what you're after?.

I've always been a Yamaha or Kawasaki fan myself.

Always had Suzuki when younger then Kawasaki after.

Looking at a new ZX-6R, in the 40’th anniversary colours they are just over £10,500. So not too expensive.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Always had Suzuki when younger then Kawasaki after.

Looking at a new ZX-6R, in the 40’th anniversary colours they are just over £10,500. So not too expensive.

Erm..fucking yes please.

24MYNinja40thanniversaryDesktop1920x1152px.002.jpg

18 minutes ago, Butch said:

Erm..fucking yes please.

24MYNinja40thanniversaryDesktop1920x1152px.002.jpg

It’s the old ZXR colours, but availability could be an issue, same with the Z 50th anniversary colours, demand outstripped supply a year or two ago.

Called the uk docs yesterday to get blood results for gout ,5 things were satisfactory she said and unlikely its gout,er so wtf is it then,the medic on the boat was %100 sure its gout,can make a follow up appointment for 3 weeks time she told me,no ill be back at bloody work by then,still cant straighten thumb,maybe its trigger thumb tho not as painfull as before its still a hinderance so to speak,been taking 2 nexocin 500mg a day since left uk 16 days ago.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Called the uk docs yesterday to get blood results for gout ,5 things were satisfactory she said and unlikely its gout,er so wtf is it then,the medic on the boat was %100 sure its gout,can make a follow up appointment for 3 weeks time she told me,no ill be back at bloody work by then,still cant straighten thumb,maybe its trigger thumb tho not as painfull as before its still a hinderance so to speak,been taking 2 nexocin 500mg a day since left uk 16 days ago.

Be glad if it isn't gout mate. Probably isn't the shape you are in.

I have a trigger finger (also called baseball finger).

Got it during covid. Hit the finger against a door corner when drunk. Didn't hardly even feel it. Next day found it crooked. WTF ?

Therapy didn't work. Surgery the only option. Too risky and not worth it. 

So.... I am bent for life.   Fcuk it.

trigger.jpg

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Be glad if it isn't gout mate. Probably isn't the shape you are in.

I have a trigger finger (also called baseball finger).

Got it during covid. Hit the finger against a door corner when drunk. Didn't hardly even feel it. Next day found it crooked. WTF ?

Therapy didn't work. Surgery the only option. Too risky and not worth it. 

So.... I am bent for life.   Fcuk it.

trigger.jpg

Isn't trigger finger a form of gout or arthritis? some would suggest it is online,if mine don't straight up I might look into steroid injection s,but I'll try these new tabs first and maybe allopurinol later.

Just now, Phantom51red said:

Isn't trigger finger a form of gout or arthritis? some would suggest it is online,if mine don't straight up I might look into steroid injection s,but I'll try these new tabs first and maybe allopurinol later.

Not sure, honestly mate. I think mine is related to ligiment (carpel tunnel) related shit.

1 minute ago, Glasseye said:

Not sure, honestly mate. I think mine is related to ligiment (carpel tunnel) related shit.

I  think gout is more related to body chemistry. Too much sugar in your diet that creates imbalance.