A strange addiction

Jambo

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Nowt wrong in binging on what is probably one of the best rock bands of all time. I love them. 

@Jambo... I would be interested to know what you think about a young rock band by the name of Greta Van Fleet who are obviously influenced by Zeppelin.

To me, at least some younger folks have taken notice. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Saw LZ twice in the late 60's and early 70's in small venues Southampton and Salisbury, just brilliant.....

You are a very lucky man...although as a choir boy I once sang in Salisbury Cathedral so perhaps it was me you could hear singing rather than Robert Plant with a Bob Fripp accent !!!

I was at Knebworth '79 and spent 2 days sleeping in my "green maggot". 3 days in all, no tent but just bashered up on the fence!

What a fantastic life I have led !!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Did you know that the songs on Led Zep II are in a different order on the official cassette than on the vinyl ..??

Something to do with the length of the songs..

My wife and I moved into a house that needed a lot of redecorating.

We both took a week off work and I got stuck into the living room. We managed to remove what furniture we had in the room with the exception of my HiFi system.

Music while you work.

I did an hour or so boring preparation of scraping and sanding whilst the wife went out to do some shopping. When she returned she found me laying on my back on the floor but in the center of one wall playing "Whole lot of Love" at full volume from the two large speakers. Apparently the wife was screaming something about me being mad but I could neither hear her or see her as I had my eyes shut in rock heaven. 🤣

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/18/2023 at 6:30 PM, Jambo said:

I have always been a Led Zeppelin fan.

Their second album is my favorite album of all time and Stairway to Heaven my all time rock single.

I recently watched an hour long interview with Jimmy Page on U-Tube basically with him explaining how Stairway to Heaven was composed. I found it absolutely fascinating as he explained how he started with the basic idea for the musical composition building up and "expanding" in stages from gentle tempo to crescendo. For instance, John Bohnam on drums doesn't really come in until halfway through the song but what a contribution as is Jimmy Page's amazing solo.

I don't suppose I have ever given much thought as to how a song is written. If anything I thought a band sat around and composed the music and lyrics at the same time. Adding words to fit in with the music as that was being worked out. Jimmy Page explained how he wrote all the music for Stairway to Heaven and then played it in its entirety to Robert Plant who wrote the vast majority of the lyrics in a notepad in one go! I thought that was pretty amazing. Robert Plant's vocals on the finished song are incredible and compliment the music to perfection.

I said I liked Led Zeppelin.

Anyway, having watched the video I then decided to explore U-Tube and watch as many of Led Zeppelin's live performances of Stairway to Heaven as I could find. There are quite a lot and I watched  one after another including their "Live Aid" performance twice!

There are worse addictions 🤣

Led Zeppelin is a great band. 

I have to say honestly though I was never overly impressed with many of their live recordings. 

I am not saying they weren't good. Just seemed to be off enough that they  were difficult for me to enjoy.