Dog Stories

Glasseye

Years ago back in Bangkok a Thai colleague brought in a dog book and told us which type of pedigree dog his wife was interested in. Our rebar foreman from the north east came in the room to report his progress and made a dive for the book thinking it was a menu. 

• Haha 1
  • Surprised 1

Nip Nip

Looks like a pretty cool breed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2024/01/03/lancashire-heeler-akc-dog-breed/

This happy, hardworking pup can now compete in your favorite dog show

January 3, 2024 at 6:34 p.m. EST

Lancashire heelers owned by Liz Thwaite in an undated photo. (Courtesy of Liz Thwaite/Photo courtesy of Liz Thwaite)

A small dog has now officially entered the big leagues.

The Lancashire heeler, a dog bred to keep cattle in line by nipping at their ankles, is now the 201st breed recognized by the American Kennel Club. Registration with the AKC, the nation’s oldest purebred-dog registry, is required for any dog to compete in the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show and raises the profile of the rare breed.

The United States Lancashire Heeler Club has tried since 2017 to have the breed join the Miscellaneous Class. In April, the AKC announced that the breed would be eligible to compete in the 2024 Herding Group, a category that includes the Australian cattle dog, border collie and Belgian Malinois.

“People think it’s a beauty pageant. It really isn’t,” said Sheryl Bradbury, president of the United States Lancashire Heeler Club. “It’s about putting what you visualized — your breed — putting it up in front of the world to see what you’re doing.”

She said recognizing Lancashire heelers standardizes and legitimizes the health and sporting benchmarks for the breed.

Lancashire heelers are drovers, meaning they have been used to herd cattle and other livestock. But their history can be as muddy as their paws — the story isn’t fully known.

Experts generally believe the breed is an outgrowth of 17th-century crossbreeding of livestock-herding Welsh corgis in a northern Wales meat market that were later infused with Manchester terriers, according to the AKC website. The breed earned the nickname butchers’ heeler by driving cows from pastures into the slaughterhouses of the Ormskirk area in West Lancashire — about 12 miles northeast of Liverpool. Bred for generations, it eventually became a family pet in the area.

They are still kept as pets today.

Liz Thwaite and her husband live with five Lancashire heelers about 25 miles northeast of Ormskirk. She is the secretary of the Lancaster Heeler Club, Britain’s equivalent of the United States Lancashire Heeler Club.

“Once bitten, you’ll never have another dog,” she said. Thwaite said she got her first Lancashire heeler in 2011 and loves that they were bred to be the smallest cattle-herding dog, with short legs and long bodies.

“They small, lively, feisty, loyal, healthy, long-lived and intelligent,” she said.

Thwaite said the dogs, which sometimes don’t clear a foot off the ground, struck fear in cows. She said that no-nonsense instinct endures even in domestic life: “They’re no pushover. Sometimes people don’t [come] into my house if they don’t like the look of them.”

Lancashire heelers are typically colored black and tan or liver and tan, according to the Kennel Club, Britain’s version of the AKC. The dogs usually live beyond 12 years.

Lex, a Lancashire heeler, sits at attention last month in Morristown, N.J. (AP)

Thwaite shows her Lancashire heelers and won a “Best of Breed” in Crufts, Britain’s Westminster equivalent, in 2022. Her winner was Ribblespride Crakemoor. When asked to explain his positively English name, she explained that they lived in the Ribble Valley and that “Crakemoor” was the name of the road on which they lived.

The family lives on a farm, which is where Lancashire heelers have thrived for centuries.

“Every farm had one. It was your standard dog on the farm,” she said.

She said Ribblespride Crakemoor, who goes by Benson when he isn’t under the lights, is still a ratter who helps rid the farm of vermin. But farming has modernized, and Lancashire heelers are no longer needed to steer cattle.

“Their original purpose for them are waning, but we promote the dogs and love them,” she said.

Promotion is needed because the breed is exceptionally rare and on the Kennel Club’s list of vulnerable breeds, which shows there were 149 registrations for Lancashire heelers in 2022.

Thwaite said that’s why it was so important for the breed to be recognized by the Kennel Club in 1981 — because being on television is great advertising for the breed.

That’s what Patricia Blankenship and the rest of the United States Lancashire Heeler Club hopes the AKC can do for the breed in America.

Blankenship, the club’s treasurer, said estimates indicated there are about 350 or so registered Lancashire heelers in the United States.

The group is relieved after the years-long journey to get the breed recognized. “It feels good, it’s kind of a long road,” Blankenship said.

Joining the AKC’s Herding Group requires proof of a minimum of 20 litters bred with a three-generation pedigree to ensure the breed is sustainable, but also physical tests and 10 dogs owned by parent club members that have earned certificates of merit.

Efforts to gain AKC recognition for the Lancashire heeler date back to 2001.

“The numbers were extremely low then,” said Blankenship, who lives outside Jackson, Miss. She started in 2009 with a male and two females.

Animal rights activists argue that breeding dogs and adding breeds can lead to puppy mills and reduce pet adoptions, while worsening canine health due to a shallow gene pool.

But breeders at this level said they are fastidious about deepening the gene pool, exporting and importing dogs globally. There are online trackers. One can even see the bloodline of Thwaite’s dog Ribblespride Crakemoor online.

Bradbury said diversifying the gene pool is vital to the breed’s survival. She said she was at Crufts showing another breed when she was floored by these scruffy, loyal dogs.

“I was fascinated by their tough little exterior,” she said.

Bradbury, who had grown up with Great Danes and mastiffs, promised herself she would look into this more manageable dog when she got home. The breeding world of Lancashire heelers is small; Bradbury purchased a female from Blankenship.

Bradbury named her Baaba Bananko — the word “baba” means “grandmother” in many Slavic languages, and “Bananko” is a banana-chocolate candy bar that Bradbury ate as a child visiting Croatia.

Baaba is retired from breeding but remains a fixture in Bradbury’s life: “Some people have Harley-Davidsons. Other people crochet. And we have dogs.”

An MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter aircrew from Coast Guard Air Station Astoria rescued a dog that fell from a cliff in Ecola State Park in Oregon Jan. 1, 2024. The aircrew transferred the dog to its owners at the park.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:
An MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter aircrew from Coast Guard Air Station Astoria rescued a dog that fell from a cliff in Ecola State Park in Oregon Jan. 1, 2024. The aircrew transferred the dog to its owners at the park.

Ahhh Jesus H. mate ! That's a Chesapeak Bay Retriver. That brought some tears.

Those guys are  absolutely amazing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just received a phone call from Sai to let me know that sadly one of our two original recycled Soi dogs from our first house in Pattaya passed quietly in her sleep a few minutes ago.

Tung Tong (aka RAMBO)

379339461_TungTong.jpg.28e1fed7ba09875872ad747db7f705c9.jpg   

Tung Tong was about 17 years old so she had a good innings.

She was one of two soi dogs we used to feed each day outside our original house on the Darkside. Then we moved to Bangsaray and the following day when I came home from working in Secrets I discovered that Sai and her sister had retrieved the two dogs and that they were happily making themselves at home in Bangsaray. 

Eventually they/we relocated to the house in Mae Sot where they became a pack of 4 then 5 dogs all of which were former Soi dogs. I send money each month and they are spoiled rotten.                   

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

Just received a phone call from Sai to let me know that sadly one of our two original recycled Soi dogs from our first house in Pattaya passed quietly in her sleep a few minutes ago.

Tung Tong (aka RAMBO)

379339461_TungTong.jpg.28e1fed7ba09875872ad747db7f705c9.jpg   

Tung Tong was about 17 years old so she had a good innings.

She was one of two soi dogs we used to feed each day outside our original house on the Darkside. Then we moved to Bangsaray and the following day when I came home from working in Secrets I discovered that Sai and her sister had retrieved the two dogs and that they were happily making themselves at home in Bangsaray. 

Eventually they/we relocated to the house in Mae Sot where they became a pack of 4 then 5 dogs all of which were former Soi dogs. I send money each month and they are spoiled rotten.                   

Very sorry for your loss mate. I am sure the other family (both people and dogs) will miss him, but hold the memories of the great times they had together and looked out for each other.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

I can relate to this 'toon... 😌

414260714_762073525961468_6303648597300484335_n.jpg

LOL... About once a week I will get up, have a cup of tea. And then crash back out on the couch for another hour or two. Retirement is a great thing !

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

LOL... About once a week I will get up, have a cup of tea. And then crash back out on the couch for another hour or two. Retirement is a great thing !

Well...you more than earned it! 👨‍✈️

Me? I'm up everyday between 5 & 6am, then it's off to the races: :default_527:
make coffee, walk the dog, make kid's breakfast, make lunch, drive to & from school (50min RT), make my b'fast, find honeys for 27/7 pests...If I catch a nap it's after 9:30am, or so. The dog naps all day until she hear my keys jingle, or somebody gets close to the front door. 

Being retired and a single parent (to an almost 12yo soccer star) is, as they say... a different ballgame. 

. . .

191225_442942869062092_582306504_o.jpg

20231014-IMG_0981.jpg

20221202_102949.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I'm up everyday between 5 & 6am, then it's off to the races:
make coffee, walk the dog, make kid's breakfast, make lunch, drive to & from school (50min RT), make my b'fast, find honeys for 27/7 pests...If I catch a nap it's after 9:30am, or so.
Being retired and a single parent (to an almost 12yo soccer star) is a different ballgame. 

. . .

191225_442942869062092_582306504_o.jpg

20231014-IMG_0981.jpg

She looks like she is going Pro mate !

It's not the dog, it's the owner...

. . .

Scotland, Joining England and Wales, Will Restrict Bully XL Dogs
The dogs, seen as dangerous by many, will have to be muzzled in public, neutered and microchipped, among other regulations.

Free link: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/11/world/europe/xl-bully-dogs-ban-scotland.html?unlocked_article_code=1.M00.T2J9.qzwA2wyTDet0&smid=url-share

Scotland will join England and Wales in strictly regulating the bully XL dog breed, after some of the dog breed owners in those two countries scrambled to send their dogs north to avoid rules already in place at home.

The country’s first minister, Humza Yousaf, said in Parliament on Thursday that Scotland would “in essence, replicate the legislation that is in England and Wales.”

“I am afraid that it has become clear in the past few weeks that we have seen a flow of XL bully dogs to Scotland,” he said in a response to a query.

The bully, or American bully as it is also known, is a relatively new breed that is a mix of pit bull and other terriers as well as bulldogs. The XL in its name indicates a larger size, with the dog normally weighing 100 to 150 pounds and measuring 20 to 23 inches long.

The dogs have landed on the public radar after several attacks on humans, including fatalities over the last few years. Bully Watch, a group that advocates strict regulation, says that roughly half of all dog attacks on humans in Britain are by larger bullys and that 11 confirmed human fatalities were caused by bully XL dogs since 2021...