Dog Stories

Glasseye

I thought I would put this piece in the health/diet/exercise thread as it is an interesting story about cancer in Golden Retrievers, but the research may also relate to cancer in humans.

My first dog (Black Lab) died from cancer. It developed rapidly, she reached a point where she could not keep her food down. I knew at that moment it was time. It came during my finals stretch in my last semester at college. I somehow pulled through it and finished up my exams and papers. I still often look at my diploma, although I have to say it wasn't a very happy time for me. But life went on as well as the wonderful memories I shared with that dog. Joni was her name.

---------------------------------------

Anyway.... dogs have always been a favortie love and fascination (the relationships between dog and man). So, I thought I would start a thread where we can share stories about dogs (anything related, good and bad, recent or distant). Share your stories, your loves, your heartbreaks, your fears, anything....

Thank Dog for dogs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/11/21/golden-retrievers-cancer-research/

What golden retrievers are teaching us about cancer

November 21, 2023 at 7:00 a.m. EST

Researchers are studying cancer rates in golden retrievers. Emma, left, died at age 6 from cancer, while Jessica lived to almost 17. (Washington Post illustration; Photos provided by Sara Fritz and Robert Rebhun)

6 min
Add to your saved stories

In September, Sara Fritz lost her six-year-old golden retriever, Emma, to an especially aggressive cancer called hemangiosarcoma. As a pet parent, she was heartbroken. As a practicing veterinary oncologist, she was frustrated.

More than 60 percent of golden retrievers will develop cancer in their lifetimes, compared to about 25 percent of other breeds.

“All dogs can develop cancer, but goldens have the highest probability,” said Fritz. “We believe they have many cancer-related gene variants. We just haven’t narrowed them down, hence we haven’t been able to target them.”

This, however, may be changing. Scientists are studying this popular breed, both to help the dogs and to learn more about human cancers. Dogs and humans share most of the same genes.

Golden clues to cancer

The Morris Animal Foundation has had an ongoing study in golden retrievers for more than a decade, trying to identify genetic, environmental, nutritional and other factors that influence cancer. And scientists at the University of California at Davis who are seeking to find out why some golden retrievers live longer than others have discovered a genetic variant associated with increased longevity.

They found that golden retrievers with the variant enjoyed a life span nearly two years longer than those without it, a significant time difference for a dog. Interestingly, the mutation they identified came from a family of genes linked to cancers, including human ones.

The UC Davis researchers took an unusual approach, in that “we didn’t look for genes associated with cancer,” said Robert Rebhun, professor of surgical and radiological services at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, and co-corresponding author.

“We looked based on how long they lived,” Rebhun said. “The amazing thing is that by looking at how long they lived, the gene variant that popped up is a gene known to be associated with cancer.”

Good dogs and bad variants

More than 300 golden retrievers participated in the study, including Rebhun’s own dog, Jessica. The scientists compared DNA from blood samples of golden retrievers that were alive at 14 to those who died before they were 12. They found that dogs with the gene variant survived longer, on average to age 13.5 years compared to 11.6 years.

Rebhun said the gene appears to have a “good variant” and a “bad variant,” that is, one that promotes survival, the other linked to shorter lives. “Jessie” developed a slow-growing soft tissue sarcoma at 14, but lived until she was 16 ½, he said.

“She had one of the good variants, and one of the bad ones,” he said. “Our theory is that the bad one might contribute to the development of cancer, while the good one staved it off until she was 14.”

The study also found intriguing differences between male and female dogs, raising the possibility that female hormones, such as estrogen, may be involved, he said.

Female dogs with one copy of the bad variant lived significantly shorter times than female dogs that did not have the bad variant. In contrast, there was no difference between male dogs with one copy of the bad variant compared with male dogs that didn’t have it at all.

For male and female dogs, having two copies of the bad variant resulted in significantly shorter lives.

The research “presents some compelling evidence that this variant is linked to longevity in golden retrievers,” said Noah Snyder-Mackler, an associate professor at Arizona State University’s school of life sciences, who was not involved in the study.

“The findings are tantalizing and like most things in science, lead to more questions than they answer,” he said.

A family of cancer genes in dogs and people

The specific variants identified in the study were found on a gene called ErbB4, also known as HER4. It’s the canine equivalent of a gene found in a family of human genes whose variants are linked to cancer.

In the dog study, the ErbB4 gene variant was related to an increase in life that is equivalent to an additional 12 to 14 years in humans, said geneticist Danika Bannasch, professor of population health and reproduction at UC Davis and co-corresponding author.

This study aims “at one of life’s biggest mysteries, not just in dog science but in human health,” said Elinor Karlsson, director of vertebrate genomics at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, who also was not involved in the research.

“Why do some people live longer than others? Why do some dogs live longer than others?” she said. “We don’t know why, but this study is starting to get at that question.”

ErbB4 variants appear to act in two ways. It can act like an oncogene – which drives cancer – or it can behave like a tumor suppressor gene, which puts the brakes on the disease. Rebhun said it’s unclear what triggers each behavior. “We don’t have the exact mechanism for saying whether this variant is stimulating cancer growth in golden retrievers or prohibiting it, or how it does each,” he said.

The potential of the findings could be significant. Earlier research into a variant of the HER2 gene, which is part of the same family as ErbB4, led to a significant breakthrough in human breast cancer treatment, resulting in a targeted therapy called Herceptin for patients with HER2 positive breast cancer.

Hope for golden retrievers and their humans

Although experts said the practical applications of the study are probably years away, they hope the findings will lead to a test or other diagnostic tool to identify or treat vulnerable dogs — and possibly even humans.

“Dogs and humans share many of the same environmental factors and genes, and they work similarly in both species,” Rebhun said.

He and his colleagues hope to conduct a larger study in golden retrievers and also examine other breeds.

“Maybe we will find something else that increases longevity in other breeds,” he said. “We also want to look at this variant in other breeds that don’t die as much from cancer as goldens.”

The dogs’ cancer risk has done little to diminish their appeal. “They’re simply wonderful dogs, which makes their high cancer rate particularly tragic,” said Kelly Diehl, senior director of science communications for the Morris Animal Foundation. “Almost all golden retriever owners understand this statistic and are passionate about finding a way to reduce the cancer rate in the breed they love.”

Fritz, who practices at Veterinary Referral Associates in Gaithersburg, Md., grew up with golden retrievers, all of them lost to cancer. She said her experience with her childhood dogs inspired her to become a veterinary oncologist.

“They are totally lovely dogs,” she said. “Honest, loyal, and always there for you. Emma was a sweetheart. She slept with my little boy every night and always looked out for him and his little sister.”

Before Emma died, the family added another golden retriever, Jax, now 11 months old. “Even knowing what I know, professionally and personally, I still wouldn’t have any other breed,” Fritz said.

"Quiet On The Set"

image.png

Edited by Glasseye
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

There have been very times in my life that I haven't had a dog or two with me. Favorites have been Golden Retrievers, but the three soi dogs my lady and I have taken in have been great. I think they're appreciative too that we've taken them in as witnessed by the greeting they gave my lady when she returned home after a couple of weeks up country.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1

Our little 'terrier mix' was found on the street in front of my neighbor's house during the Covid lockdown (March 2021).

I volunteered to take her in (no tags, no chip) while we looked for the owner (who never appeared).

My young daughter named her 'Angel' and the rest is history.

. . 

20230215_070242.jpg

20230211_081404.jpg

20230302-IMG_5984.jpg

Edited by lazarus
woof
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

I had a black lab (ish) named Daisy back when I was living in Northwest Florida.She was a great, smart dog.  My job sent me all around the country and when I got a one week job about four hours from the house, I thought about taking her with me. I had been to the small town of Demopolis, Alabama several times and I had a regular motel that I stayed in. I called and they were fine with the dog, so Sunday afternoon we loaded up and hit the road. 
Around dark, we got checked in and Daisy got her walk. As I was carrying our stuff into the room, the bottom of the dog food bag opened up and spilled onto the floor. I found a container and got down on my knees and started raking it into a pile. Daisy came over and I thought she was going to eat some of her food, but no. She started helping me by using her snout to push some of the spilled kibbles into the pile I was making. 
I guess the taste of the road life she got was too much. The next trip sent me to Detroit and she had to stay at the house. Shortly after I left, she jumped the fence, maybe headed for that motel in Demopolis where she thought I might be.

Happy smiles for everyone !

Go Elvis ! He ain't nothing but a hound dog.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2023/11/22/elvis-dog-adopted-chicago-impersonator/

Nobody wanted Elvis the dog. Then a former Elvis impersonator saw him.

‘I loved him immediately,’ said Loren Agron, manager of a 1950s-themed diner in Chicago

November 22, 2023 at 8:00 a.m. EST

Loren Agron enjoys some quiet time with Elvis on the sofa at home in Chicago. (Drew Wilhelm)

4 min
Add to your saved stories

There was just one dog left behind, and his name was Elvis.

The other 61 dogs and cats at the Chicago shelter event were adopted on the same day, leaving Elvis, a white and gray pup, the only pet sent back to the shelter where he’d lived for about four months.

The pet rescue organization Anti-Cruelty Society took to Facebook the following day, explaining that Elvis was brought to them as a stray with a fractured pelvis, which had since healed.

“He met a lot of potential adopters, but sadly did not get adopted,” the Nov. 14 post read.

Elvis at the Anti-Cruelty Society shelter in Chicago earlier this month. The pit bull-terrier mix was the only pet not adopted at the animal nonprofit's adoption drive. (Anti-Cruelty Society)

“Elvis is a 3-year-old meatball that has the silliest personality,” the post continued. “His giant smile lights up every room he enters. Elvis is a snuggler, so he hopes you are okay giving up your personal space.”

The post also noted that Elvis, a pit bull-terrier mix, had been potty-trained and crate-trained, but would probably be prone to arthritis in the future due to his fracture.

Drew Wilhelm could not believe his eyes when he saw a story on Chicago WGN9 about Elvis. He sent it to his partner, Loren Agron. The couple had talked about adopting a dog, but were still mulling over the idea.

Agron said he was smitten by the photos of Elvis smiling with his tongue hanging out. But the real reason he felt a sudden connection to Elvis is that Agron was an Elvis impersonator.

The Anti-Cruelty Society posted this photo of Elvis on social media, hoping to entice people to adopt him earlier this month. (Anti-Cruelty Society)

Agron, 39, is a manager at Ed Debevic’s, a 1950s-themed diner known for snarky waitstaff and choreographed dance numbers on the soda counter. When he worked as a waiter at the restaurant from 2005 to 2007, Agron dressed up as Elvis Presley and called himself “Elvis Parsley.”

“I wore a black cowboy shirt and quintessential giant Elvis sunglasses, I had long sideburns and my hair was all pomped up and slicked back,” he said. “I’d get up onstage in the diner and sing ‘Teddy Bear’ to entertain all the customers.”

“Elvis has always been a big part of my life because I’ve always loved music from that era,” he added.

Loren Agron used to impersonate Elvis Presley from 2005 to 2007 at the Chicago 1950s-themed diner where he still works. This photo shows him in 2017, when he suited up again as Elvis. (Loren Agron)

Agron went to the shelter the following day to meet Elvis. They played around on the floor with Elvis’s favorite toy, a stuffed moose with tennis balls for feet.

“I loved him immediately,” Agron said. “Having a pup named Elvis seemed like a perfect fit.”

Agron returned to the shelter to introduce Elvis to Wilhelm, his partner for the past year and a half.

Loren Agron, left, and Drew Wilhelm with Elvis on Nov. 17, when they adopted the dog from the Anti-Cruelty Society shelter. (Anti-Cruelty Society )

“While we were sitting in the waiting room to meet him, I felt like a father waiting for his newborn son to arrive,” said Wilhelm, 43, manager of a Chicago cocktail lounge.

“As soon as I saw him, I knew that was our dog,” he said.

Drew Wilhelm with Elvis at a Lake Michigan beach in November. (Drew Wilhelm)

“He couldn’t stop jumping on us, he was so excited we were there to see him,” Wilhelm said.

He and Agron adopted Elvis that day, Nov. 17, prompting the Anti-Cruelty Society to post on Facebook that “Elvis has LEFT the building!

When the pair took Elvis home to their two-bedroom apartment near Lake Michigan’s Foster Beach, the pup sniffed around and left no doubt that he was “The King,” said Wilhelm, referring to one of Presley’s nicknames.

One of Elvis's favorite pastimes is napping, said Drew Wilhelm. (Loren Agron)

“The anxiety of the shelter just melted away,” Wilhelm said. “We learned right away that Elvis loves to lounge. He took free range of every chair in the apartment, plus the bed.”

Elvis made it known that he loved peanut butter and anything bacon flavored, said Agron. Those also were some of Elvis the singer’s famously favorite foods.

“Even though he waited a long time in the shelter, we’re glad he wasn’t adopted, because he’s our family now,” he said.

Elvis, a pit bull-terrier mix, lived at the Anti-Cruelty Society animal shelter in Chicago for 130 days. (Anti-Cruelty Society)

He and Wilhelm have settled into a comfortable routine with their pup, taking him on walks, playing fetch and tug-of-war and relaxing together on the sofa when Elvis doesn’t claim it for himself.

“He’s just an adorable goofball,” Wilhelm said. “We love how he’s made himself at home.”

Elvis is ready for the holidays in Chicago. (Loren Agron)

Staffers at the Anti-Cruelty Society are also thrilled that Elvis now has a home.

“We were all so sad for Elvis when he was the only one left after our ‘Fall in Love’ waived adoption fee event,” said Rachel Klousnitzer, senior director of marketing and communications for the animal nonprofit.

“We’re grateful that people all over the country are now invested in Elvis’s story, and we can’t stress enough that we see dogs like Elvis waiting for their forever homes every day,” she added.

He “ain't nothing but a hound dog,” but Elvis has taken over the bed since he was adopted, said Drew Wilhelm. (Drew Wilhelm)

Wilhelm said he hopes to keep the Elvis momentum going, and that people will think about whether adopting a pet is right for them.

“When nobody wanted Elvis, we took him home, and I’m so glad we did,” Wilhelm said. “Even though he only leaves me a sliver of the bed.”

Had a black lab when I was younger,he was ting tong,always shagging other dogs,course back then we never kept him on the leash,well I never,regretted that the one time he swam across river Don to go shag a dog at the other side,the closest bridge was 1 klm away so muggins here had to run round to get him.

Best was when mates used to chap at the door ,he'd run out and shag the first leg he got hold of.

Edited by Phantom51red
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Had a black lab when I was younger,he was ting tong,always shagging other dogs,course back then we never kept him on the leash,well I never,regretted that the one time he swam across river Don to go shag a dog at the other side,the closest bridge was 1 klm away so muggins here had to run round to get him.

Best was when mates used to chap at the door ,he'd run out and shag the first leg he got hold of.

I've had two retrievers in my life. A Black and a Chesapeak, both darlings and strong as a bull.

Having to rescue them out of water would surely kill me. They are remarkable, wonderful creatures.

Nothing compares to the love and happiness they gave me. But, I am thankful that I never allowed them to get too far out in the water. I'd be a gonner if I did.

Cheers mate !

• Thumbs Up 3

I've had dogs before in UK, but working shifts isn't fair on the hound or me. In the Philippines, as I've said before, we've always adopted an Askal (portmanteau of Asong Kaliye - Street Dog) - now renamed "Aspin" (Asong Pinoy).

They're bloody good dogs if you get them from a pup. Fiercely loyal and territorial and easy to train using positive reinforcement.

Also, I could walk anywhere within our local area with the dog alongside me, because even the bravest filipino wannabe muggers don't want to be bitten by an askal, and the PNP are so fearful they'd rather shoot the dogs than actually enter a property guarded by one.

My last one died at the age of 17 years, I made sure that his last couple of years were spent being spoiled rotten and in air conditioned comfort. I hope the old boy appreciated it.

We've since got 1 more for the house where MIL is taking care, will adopt another one when it decides to adopt us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Butch said:

I've had dogs before in UK, but working shifts isn't fair on the hound or me. In the Philippines, as I've said before, we've always adopted an Askal (portmanteau of Asong Kaliye - Street Dog) - now renamed "Aspin" (Asong Pinoy).

They're bloody good dogs if you get them from a pup. Fiercely loyal and territorial and easy to train using positive reinforcement.

Also, I could walk anywhere within our local area with the dog alongside me, because even the bravest filipino wannabe muggers don't want to be bitten by an askal, and the PNP are so fearful they'd rather shoot the dogs than actually enter a property guarded by one.

My last one died at the age of 17 years, I made sure that his last couple of years were spent being spoiled rotten and in air conditioned comfort. I hope the old boy appreciated it.

We've since got 1 more for the house where MIL is taking care, will adopt another one when it decides to adopt us.

yes. I agree.

Getting a dog when it cannot be properly cared for is irresponsibilty and abuse at it's highest level IMO. That is the primary reason I am waiting for the next dog partner. When I find the right time in my life to do so it will happen. Then we will ride off into the sunset together from there.

• Like 1

Yeah like alot of you, it is easy to get close to your best friend. I got made fun of alot by my friends, I did not have a "macho dog" like alot of them did, but I absolutely loved my Dachsund back in the day. Man he would get "bowed up" when anyone he was not familiar with, got anywhere near my kids when they were young. 

Still miss "Trent" to this day. 

DSCN0596.JPG

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Yeah like alot of you, it is easy to get close to your best friend. I got made fun of alot by my friends, I did not have a "macho dog" like alot of them did, but I absolutely loved my Dachsund back in the day. Man he would get "bowed up" when anyone he was not familiar with, got anywhere near my kids when they were young. 

Still miss "Trent" to this day. 

DSCN0596.JPG

Dachsunds are wonderful. Altough the first time I ever got bit by a dog was a Dach. 

The smartest dog I've ever met was a Dach. Man, was she fun.

Great dogs !

• Thumbs Up 1

I love dogs but have never had one of my own, and still won't, because I travel too much and it's not fair to form a relationship with one and then bugger off suddenly for a few months. If I ever lose the ability to travel I will get my own dog for sure - until then I'll get my "dog fix" occasionally with friends' pets. 

I've seen too many mistreated dogs over the years -  back in my door-to-door utility days I came across too many bored, unhappy dogs chained up in peoples' back yards, usually full of their shit, while said people were off to work every day or just didn't care.  Sad to say, our local "First Nations" people were some of the worst offenders - they insist that dogs are "part of their culture" but you'd be appalled at the way they are usually treated by them.

And of course I spent a few years living in a tourist town where many young people would come from all over Canada to work in the summer months -  they'd fall in love with somebody's husky puppy and parade around town proudly with their new friend while all of their friends gushed over it; come fall, they'd tie up the now almost fully-grown animal at the bus station and be on their merry way - the local pound was always full of animals deserted in this way, so cruel. 

• Thumbs Up 3

My old Border Collie. An absolutely brilliant dog that I miss to this day even though he died in 1999.

I used to take him with me in the truck, it was amazing how many times a renowned miserable fork lift driver who would normally make you wait to be tipped or loaded would see him in the cab and would suddenly be your best friend and get you sorted quick.

josh 1.jpgjosh 2.jpg119142546_10163928944035648_7680395111589160954_n.jpg

• Haha 3

Always had dogs in Northern Ireland.

It's the one big thing i miss living in London in a 2 bed apartment, not being able to have a dog. I would also love to give the gift of having a dog to my 7 year old daughter.

Well, i could have a dog, but it wouldn't be fair on the dog, where we live. 

Last night, for the first time ever, I went into a bar because of a dog. The bar is Scarlets on Soi Pothole and the dog's name is Mum. She's a soi dog I grew fond of when I used to drink at the now defunct Poom Beer Bar. I thought the owners of Poom had taken her with them when they closed up shop and moved away, so I was surprised when as I was walking by Scarlets, Mum came out to greet me.

When I first saw Mum she was a neglected dog with mange. Very sad to see her in that state, and with a disease that is easily cured with medicated shampoo. This is a picture of her on June 6, 2021.
image.jpeg

The next day I made a trip to a vet clinic and purchased a bottle of medicated shampoo. Not exactly cheap at 700B, but seeing the results three months later it was worth every satang spent. Pic from September 20, 2021.
image.jpeg

After I left Scarlets, Mum followed me up to the next bar and sat with me while I had a drink there. Ladies there had a laugh at my expense asking which bar I barfined her from. She finally left me as I walked along a very busy 3rd Rd. Picture of her from last night, fat and happy.
image.jpeg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Last night, for the first time ever, I went into a bar because of a dog. The bar is Scarlets on Soi Pothole and the dog's name is Mum. She's a soi dog I grew fond of when I used to drink at the now defunct Poom Beer Bar. I thought the owners of Poom had taken her with them when they closed up shop and moved away, so I was surprised when as I was walking by Scarlets, Mum came out to greet me.

When I first saw Mum she was a neglected dog with mange. Very sad to see her in that state, and with a disease that is easily cured with medicated shampoo. This is a picture of her on June 6, 2021.
image.jpeg

The next day I made a trip to a vet clinic and purchased a bottle of medicated shampoo. Not exactly cheap at 700B, but seeing the results three months later it was worth every satang spent. Pic from September 20, 2021.
image.jpeg

After I left Scarlets, Mum followed me up to the next bar and sat with me while I had a drink there. Ladies there had a laugh at my expense asking which bar I barfined her from. She finally left me as I walked along a very busy 3rd Rd. Picture of her from last night, fat and happy.
image.jpeg

Force. You are now in my hero category. I pretty high honor I must say. Not easy to make that list my friend.

:default_goodjob:

• Thanks 1