Shortened Attention Spans

Glasseye

I have certainly noticed it , find it hard to concentrate on anything for too long now ....

Squirrel !!!! 

I find it harder to read for a prolonged period, or even watch tv , when there are so many other online distractions... 

I need to detox 555 

the weird thing is when I am out walking for a couple of hours or even on a plane without access for 12 hours it doesn't bother me 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Thumbs Up 1

When we had 2 channels on the TV in black and white, it was easy to stay focused. Nowadays with 100s of channels, phones, laptops. YouTube, Facebook etc., it is difficult to focus/concentrate on one program. I channel surf quite a lot.

Then again, it could be that most of the channels don't offer anything remotely interesting or of a quality nature.

I will focus on a good film, a good book or a good footie game on the box.

Like @Stillearly, I can relax and stay focused when walking or on a plane. 

I don't stay long in bars in Thailand as I once did without moving on rapidly. The quality of the women, these days, sees me drinking quicker and moving on as the view and customer service is not as interesting or of a level of eye catching quality that makes me want to stay.

Shortened attention span happens, yes, but I can focus on what is important to me, I really enjoy my own company and can switch off from the world around me if need be to ensure the world doesn't drive me mad. There are plenty of things that offer me value that keep me sane. Girls used to be in that bracket but not anymore, thank God.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 8:00 PM, Horizondave said:

When we had 2 channels on the TV in black and white, it was easy to stay focused. Nowadays with 100s of channels, phones, laptops. YouTube, Facebook etc., it is difficult to focus/concentrate on one program. I channel surf quite a lot.

Then again, it could be that most of the channels don't offer anything remotely interesting or of a quality nature.

I will focus on a good film, a good book or a good footie game on the box.

Like @Stillearly, I can relax and stay focused when walking or on a plane. 

I don't stay long in bars in Thailand as I once did without moving on rapidly. The quality of the women, these days, sees me drinking quicker and moving on as the view and customer service is not as interesting or of a level of eye catching quality that makes me want to stay.

Shortened attention span happens, yes, but I can focus on what is important to me, I really enjoy my own company and can switch off from the world around me if need be to ensure the world doesn't drive me mad. There are plenty of things that offer me value that keep me sane. Girls used to be in that bracket but not anymore, thank God.

Dog bless mate. This is what i am talking about. Concerns me from entertainment habits to friendships. It's having more of a toll on our lives than we recognize or appreciate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Luckily my own attention span is quite long, probably due to it being necessary at work, so I've kind of been "trained" or conditioned to have one.

I have noticed others having less of an attention span, or rather being more easily distracted and I agree, social media apps like Tiktok and instafacebook don't help, as those who spend a lot of time looking at those apps are looking for "gratification", so they're constantly scrolling through to find something that pleases them. Even dating apps like "Tinder" have a fast "swipe" option, all to keep that shortened attention span engaged for longer. However, once something which doesn't stimulate the brain in the same way needs to be examined, the attention span is reduced.

I truly believe that these apps have been engineered in such as way as to reward the brain with short, hormone stimulating clips that then stimulates and creates a need for finding more and more. A digital version of pringles, if you will (pringles have an ingredient that makes you want to continue eating them).

My only concern is the increased level of fatigue I have these days after a period of long concentration, either due to getting older or the cumulative effects of working shifts for most of my life.