British Airways plan to resume direct flights to Bangkok

Nightcrawler

• Nightcrawler changed the title to British Airways plan to resume direct flights to Bangkok

Well, my good friend at BA was right with the jungle drum noise. I did think it would be this coming winter start for the schedule.

Pity it is out of Gatwick, but I have recently found out that there are direct Swansea to Gatwick National Express coaches so that is a bonus.

It will definitely have an affect on prices, even though it will start 3 times a week and does go out of Gatwick on a Boeing 777. The additional return to Kuala Lumpur (out of Heathrow), will also increase inventory to SE Asia. The good thing for me is that I have access to great airline discounts, so now the ability to go non stop to Bangkok is a boon.

Great news, it can only be a positive for the traveler regardless of what you think of BA.

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1

58 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Pity it is out of Gatwick, but I have recently found out that there are direct Swansea to Gatwick National Express coaches so that is a bonus

Yep, I've just checked Gatwick to Chippenham and Swindon and they are still all via Heathrow Central so a pain in the ass for me ..

All I can hope for is some pricing competition with EVA and Finnair ..

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, boydeste said:

That's great news, hopefully they come in at a price point to put pressure on EVA and Thai Air.

They have chosen Gatwick due to the expectancy that that will get a lower yield per passenger whereas they would have used Heathrow had they believed they could get a premium price per seat. It will be a 3 cabin service as opposed to the 4 cabin service out of Heathrow for the Malaysian flights.  Gatwick suits the demographic that wants (expects) a more economical deal so hopefully that will lead to good competitive prices.

I think EVA and Thai won't necessarily drop their prices dramatically, but it should see good deals ex Gatwick on BA to ensure a good load factor. No point in offering prices that are similar to Thai/EVA out of Heathrow but then again, they will get what they believe the market will pay. The fact that Kuala Lumpur is being added to the mix will also have an effect on prices among the airline offerings.

• Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

LGW seems the right choice for a low frequency BKK flight.

I think it'll be very popular, as people who collect Avios and are loyal to BA will probably return, along with guys who don't mind which airport they leave from, as long as the flight is direct and heading towards BKK. I'll be interested to see the timings as well, which may have a factor.

More competition in the sector is a good thing, as @Horizondave said, how THAI and EVA react is yet to be seen, but they've certainly been making the most of the situation they have had recently with the prices for direct flights on both airlines.

As someone mentioned, it's interesting to see the A380 mentioned, as I thought BA had done / was doing away with them. There was one parked at NAIA for a while on our last trip.

All we need is for them to pull the 747's out of retirement - if they weren't all scrapped that is.

Edited by Butch
  • Thumbs Up 3

Just looked at some of the lead in prices so don't jump just yet.

£1256 for a return in November back November, or out February back March.

It will have an effect but not yet. Nobody really will want to pay those prices.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 1

27 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Am I right in thinking that it is just one aircraft plying the route between LGW and BKK? 

If so, that might be troublesome. 

Why, it was only 1 flight plying the route before Covid. Of course it could go technical in Bangkok but that applies to so many network routes by airlines. Part of air travel. At least it isn't a 737 Max lol

Only 3 days a week as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Just looked at some of the lead in prices so don't jump just yet.

£1256 for a return in November back November, or out February back March.

It will have an effect but not yet. Nobody really will want to pay those prices.

Was looking at intro prices on BA.COM, obviously cheaper deals via Skyscanner etc......

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

About the same price as flying PE with EVA and Finnair ..

Maybe time to head to Skyscanner. I certainly wouldn't pay those prices. I would only go on BA as I would get a great deal on business class through my connections with BA. 

If I had to pay I would be happy to go Finnair or, even, Air China, who I have used before and were excellent (my trip anyway).

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Butch said:

LGW seems the right choice for a low frequency BKK flight.

I think it'll be very popular, as people who collect Avios and are loyal to BA will probably return, along with guys who don't mind which airport they leave from, as long as the flight is direct and heading towards BKK. I'll be interested to see the timings as well, which may have a factor.

More competition in the sector is a good thing, as @Horizondave said, how THAI and EVA react is yet to be seen, but they've certainly been making the most of the situation they have had recently with the prices for direct flights on both airlines.

As someone mentioned, it's interesting to see the A380 mentioned, as I thought BA had done / was doing away with them. There was one parked at NAIA for a while on our last trip.

All we need is for them to pull the 747's out of retirement - if they weren't all scrapped that is.

Timings Ok and both overnight flights.

Screenshot_2024-03-05-13-03-46-25_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Also that route/date is nearer £750 on BA.Com

Edited by Horizondave
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Showing £669 LGW to BKK rtn (Economy) in November when I had a look just now on Skyscanner

Those flying times would suit me and I am not far from Gatwick either. 

Hoping I can get cheap Biz class on my mates Staff concessions. Will have to wait and see. 

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Freee!! said:

I'd say BA is a tad slow with those two destinations.

Interesting in the article is the mention of the A380, I thought BA wasn't going to use them anymore.

I think they will use a 777

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Maybe time to head to Skyscanner. I certainly wouldn't pay those prices. I would only go on BA as I would get a great deal on business class through my connections with BA. 

If I had to pay I would be happy to go Finnair or, even, Air China, who I have used before and were excellent (my trip anyway).

37 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Showing £669 LGW to BKK rtn (Economy) in November when I had a look just now on Skyscanner

Those flying times would suit me and I am not far from Gatwick either. 

Hoping I can get cheap Biz class on my mates Staff concessions. Will have to wait and see. 

Just read an article from Simon Calder in the Independent saying BA won't be offering Biz Class on this route 🤔

• Surprised 1

7 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Just read an article from Simon Calder in the Independent saying BA won't be offering Biz Class on this route 🤔

Are you sure it's First class not on offer ? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Good point. BA generally offer 4 classes of seat

Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First Class. I think the article only related to First Class that will not be on offer.

I am sure as time goes by, it will be a little clearer.  

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

20 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Good point. BA generally offer 4 classes of seat

Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First Class. I think the article only related to First Class that will not be on offer.

I am sure as time goes by, it will be a little clearer.  

Yea, think it was First Class TBH.

Me being a pauper, know f**k all about anything but Cattle :default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

About the same price as flying PE with EVA and Finnair ..

Are you sure? I am seeing Eva Premium at a thousand pounds more.