British Airways plan to resume direct flights to Bangkok

Nightcrawler

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Last couple of times I have flown EVA PE , it's been around £1,600 

Last August, I booked to travel out this month, and return next month. The fare was £1,855.

I have been thinking of trying to change it to travel in June/July. The price is £2,286. So I would have to pay the difference of £431, plus an admin fee to do that. That ain't gonna happen!

EVA June.jpg

Be careful if booking EVA. Don't assume all flights are direct; some are now indirect via Amsterdam, and those flights are usually cheaper.

4 hours ago, Krapow said:

Just read an article from Simon Calder in the Independent saying BA won't be offering Biz Class on this route 🤔

As these are from Gatwick, the flights will be operated by a Boeing 777-200ER aircraft with BA’s legacy yin-yang Club World product. These aircraft were refurbished in 2018 and 2019. Whilst the old seats were retained, new in-flight entertainment was fitted and soft furnishings were refreshed. They feature 32 seats in Club World, 48 World Traveller Plus (premium economy), and 252 World Traveller (economy).

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

5 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Showing £669 LGW to BKK rtn (Economy) in November when I had a look just now on Skyscanner

Those flying times would suit me and I am not far from Gatwick either. 

Hoping I can get cheap Biz class on my mates Staff concessions. Will have to wait and see. 

My wife will be traveling with my BA friend (Trisha) in February, Some have met my friend, she has 45 years service although now retired, gets two business class firm bookings a year..

Yes the fares are looking more competitive, a non stop flight for less than £700 can't be bad. Timings good, it is just an option, but all options can only be good for the customer.

• Great Info 1

6 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

About the same price as flying PE with EVA and Finnair ..

Flight prices coming down, obviously only went on sale today. 

The 7 hour turn around in Bangkok also should ensure no obvious delays that appear to have been a negative for EVA with the short turn around at Heathrow. In fact I like the timings. I stay in Hua Hin and the timings allow a good bus connection.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Last couple of times I have flown EVA PE , it's been around £1,600 

6 hours ago, boydeste said:

Some have been up at 2k too.

4 hours ago, Bazle said:

have been thinking of trying to change it to travel in June/July. The price is £2,286. So I would have to pay the difference of £431, plus an admin fee to do that. That ain't gonna happen!

I had been monitoring the prices regularly and in my head it was about 1,300 PE and 2,000 Business. Obviously my memory is wrong!! Unless it is cheaper starting the journey in BKK ...

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, boydeste said:

Some have been up at 2k too.

Booked at the weekend for the wife and son to fly EVA in August for £2283 for the pair. 
Have to give the Gatwick flights a look at the next time as travel time from home to LHR and Gatwick are pretty much the same of 2.5 hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunDon said:

Booked at the weekend for the wife and son to fly EVA in August for £2283 for the pair. 
Have to give the Gatwick flights a look at the next time as travel time from home to LHR and Gatwick are pretty much the same of 2.5 hours. 

Economy or PE, please?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KhunDon said:

the wife and son to fly EVA in August for £2283 for the pair. 

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

Economy or PE, please?

August really is a funny old month..I went on skyscanner and selected "whole month" ..Inward and outward the prices swung from 290 to 1,200 baht!! Obvously not EVA but reflective of the bonkers pricing differences that we are talking about ..

EDIT = EVA was 815 but through an agent.

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Bazle said:

Economy or PE, please?

Economy unfortunately. Because she just had to fly on certain dates and because it’s August when all the kids are on holiday, economy was all I could get, traveling non stop😟

She would normally travel business, but like a lot of Thai women, couldn’t get her bloody act together and decide on dates earlier, despite me warning her months ago to book earlier. 

Edited by KhunDon
  • Thanks 2

One item of note regarding EVA - their summer "high season" for flights used to run from early July to the end of August, thus most flights during that period would be above the seasonal norm, this is going back a few years though.

To put it all in perspective, Pre covid I had paid, in May 2020 £876 PE RTN on EVA. However, in Feb 2013 I paid £735 Economy RTN on EVA, but in May 2015 I paid £1610 Business RTN on EVA. (All booked direct)

It might just show that either :

a: My timings for buying flights is hit and miss

or

b : EVA don't really have much of a pricing structure other than it is seemingly linked to what everyone else is charging for the same trip.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Was having a look at some dates for non stop flights to Thailand the other day, noticed, EVA, Thai and BA on it now.

Can only be a good thing, more competition, not that i've ever flown on them to Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Was having a look at some dates for non stop flights to Thailand the other day, noticed, EVA, Thai and BA on it now.

Can only be a good thing, more competition, not that i've ever flown on them to Thailand.

Fares might be even more competitive if BA decided to resume those flights daily, and from Heathrow. I don't particularly like Gatwick, and I am sure many others from north of London are not too thrilled about a Gatwick departure.

Still, it is something that I was really happy to see come to fruition and it now offers a better choice for all of us.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Fares might be even more competitive if BA decided to resume those flights daily, and from Heathrow. I don't particularly like Gatwick, and I am sure many others from north of London are not too thrilled about a Gatwick departure.

Still, it is something that I was really happy to see come to fruition and it now offers a better choice for all of us.

Yea, i don't like Gatwick either. 

Location, delays etc, much rather have Heathrow.

Though, hopefully the start of more competition ...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Krapow said:

I have flown on THAI and EVA to Thailand, both are (or at least were when I last flew with them) pretty decent airlines.

The only real problem I ever had with THAI was that the first time I booked with them they quit flying to/from Amsterdam between me booking that direct flight and actually flying it. A quick hop to and a (too long) transfer at FRA solved that problem (without extra cost to me).