Making a trip up to Bangkok

ChiFlyer

Well I remember when a message topic such as this would have prompted different questions from myself other than the ones I am about to ask. Getting older is a bitch, but also a blessing at times. Who knows. Anyway ->

In early May the Mrs and myself are making a few days trip up to Bangkok from the overall Bang Lamung area. The purpose of the trip is for her to have an interview at the US Embassy to obtain a visa so that she can accompany me on a trip to the US in September. On paper she is a lock, but visas at the US Embassy are a mystery box. That topic belongs in a different thread than this one.

What I am asking about is that come hell or high water what are some suggestions for some side trips and restaurants. It has been decades since I spent much time in Bangkok.

• We are staying at the Chatrium Riverside, which is on the Chao Phraya near the Spahan Taksin Sky Train stop. The hotel has river boat ferries that will take one to various locations and connections. I have stayed there several time before and it is a very good moderately priced hotel with a good buffet breakfast option. I opted for a suite with a river view (not all that much more expensive) to set a positive mood for the Mrs and her interview.
  • https://www.chatrium.com/chatriumriversidebangkok?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb-chatriumhotelriversidebangkok
  • The Mrs has never seen Wat Po or the Royal Palace. These are relatively close together and I figure this will be a good day trip.
  • I have never been to Asiatique, which is not that far from the hotel. I am thinking we can go there one night to sample the food stalls. Anyone been there?
  • I  am also looking for some restaurant suggestions in the general area. Isan Thai food suggestions would be most appreciated, but some decent Farang places would be good as well. I checked for the places that I liked a decade of so back and most have gone out of business, or Google is blocking them from searches. I am really becoming suspicious of Google.

Edited by ChiFlyer

Grand Palace is spectacular, go early to avoid the heat.

If you are able to visit G.P. and only have a few days I'd give Wat Pho a miss. Depends how much time you have.

Study and learn the BTS/MRT routes. Utilizing that system can save you mountains of agony.

• Thumbs Up 2

We went to Asiatique a few years ago,don't remember any food stalls,just restaurants alongside the river which were not cheap.There was a big Irish pub somewhere in the centre.Not a place I was in a hurry to get back to.

Probably changed since we were there.

The Tawandang German Brewery on Rama 3 is a good evenings entertainment,food & beer are excellent with a non stop cabaret.

• Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

We went to Asiatique a few years ago,don't remember any food stalls,just restaurants alongside the river which were not cheap.There was a big Irish pub somewhere in the centre.Not a place I was in a hurry to get back to.

Probably changed since we were there.

The Tawandang German Brewery on Rama 3 is a good evenings entertainment,food & beer are excellent with a non stop cabaret.

German ladyboys ?         lol

Wifey and I and 2 friends from USA hit Asiatique, July 2016 was nice, fairly new place if I remember correctly. Tons of restaurants, nice walk around by the water and such. 

Then took them over to the rooftop bar at Lebua Hotel over on Silom...quite nice.

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5164.JPG

IMG_5165.JPG

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5169.JPG

IMG_5177.JPG

IMG_5196.JPG

IMG_5197.JPG

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, lazarus said:

There's a great Isaan Gai Yang lunch spot a short walk from the Chong Nonsi BTS station.  I ate there a lot when I lived in the neighborhood. Excellent chicken, nam tok moo, som tum, etc...

The owner, Khun So...holds court right out front making som tum.

6004580780_7f6dba86ba_c.jpg

Go early...11am'ish...it gets busy with the business lunch crowd.

. . . .

Screenshot 2024-03-10 111134.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-10 111041.jpg

I ate there so much they used to make me cook my own chicken... 🙂

6199612571_f478d5d55e_w.jpg

My Baby Mama aka Isaan Princess -- liked it a lot...

6004035481_38d4d83d20_c.jpg

Great Food...

6052054101_1623186407_c.jpg

6004580524_6fe4e064f0_c.jpg

Thanks. That is some excellent looking Som Tom (the Mrs favorite). We will try for sure.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Grand Palace is spectacular, go early to avoid the heat.

If you are able to visit G.P. and only have a few days I'd give Wat Pho a miss. Depends how much time you have.

Study and learn the BTS/MRT routes. Utilizing that system can save you mountains of agony.

I am actually pretty decent with the BTS routes. Rusty for sure, but they do not seem to have changed all that much.

I am thinking that the Mrs would enjoy Wat Po (I have been twice), as she is a practicing Buddhist. My understanding is that the Royal Palace is not that far from Wat Po and we could probably grab a taxi and see both the same day. 

My understanding is not always correct. 🙂 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Thanks. That is some excellent looking Som Tom (the Mrs favorite). We will try for sure.

Welcome.

I bet your Mrs. will like their som tum Isaan style too...(too spicy for me). 🙂

. . .

6052053941_b5d9c0ecb9_h.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Welcome.

I bet your Mrs. will like their som tum Isaan style too...(too spicy for me). 🙂

. . .

6052053941_b5d9c0ecb9_h.jpg

Myself as well with regard to the heat, but I do enjoy picking off a piece or two just to sample.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

the Mrs would enjoy Wat Po (I have been twice), as she is a practicing Buddhist. My understanding is that the Royal Palace is not that far from Wat Po and we could probably grab a taxi and see both the same day. 

You can walk from Wat Po to the Grand Palace...right next door. Both are worth a visit imho.

Grand Palace

6283558116_3f62c2e472_b.jpg

3067942897_792b73349d_o.jpg

4287041637_bedbd05afb_o.jpg

I'd also recommend Wat Arun,...on the other side of the river. It was recently renovated...

https://www.wat-arun.com

6001582300_619d08eae6_h.jpg

5110426879_3722bd03c4_o.jpg

5135330780_ee92d28cf4_o.jpg

My little Sisaket sweetie Nat...

4960960567_b58dfc9914_h.jpg

One other spot on the river that I enjoy is Wat Rakhang

https://www.tour-bangkok-legacies.com/wat-rakhang.html

5116163794_f253612e25_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am actually pretty decent with the BTS routes. Rusty for sure, but they do not seem to have changed all that much.

I am thinking that the Mrs would enjoy Wat Po (I have been twice), as she is a practicing Buddhist. My understanding is that the Royal Palace is not that far from Wat Po and we could probably grab a taxi and see both the same day. 

My understanding is not always correct. 🙂 

if you can fit it in, go for it.

As Laz metioned, I want to check out Wat Arun. I haven't been there yet.

Maybe I'll take his Ex with me.       55555555555 !

15 hours ago, lazarus said:

You can walk from Wat Po to the Grand Palace...right next door. Both are worth a visit imho.

Grand Palace

6283558116_3f62c2e472_b.jpg

3067942897_792b73349d_o.jpg

4287041637_bedbd05afb_o.jpg

I'd also recommend Wat Arun,...on the other side of the river. It was recently renovated...

https://www.wat-arun.com

6001582300_619d08eae6_h.jpg

5110426879_3722bd03c4_o.jpg

5135330780_ee92d28cf4_o.jpg

My little Sisaket sweetie Nat...

4960960567_b58dfc9914_h.jpg

One other spot on the river that I enjoy is Wat Rakhang

https://www.tour-bangkok-legacies.com/wat-rakhang.html

5116163794_f253612e25_o.jpg

Great recommendations, I visited these 3 on my first visit to Bkk, as well as the long boat river ride.

Coincidently, my guide was a young hottie from Sisaket too. Lol.

Edited by boydeste
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

^^^^ Dog damn. I was just about to post some negative shit in another thread. But that just changed my attitude. Fcuk it.

:default_air_kiss:

Better to 'live and love'...

We'll all have longer lives that way. 😘

• Thumbs Up 1

Another Bangkok suggestion for the OP...

My late mother stayed at Chatrium Suites when she visited Bangkok on her 80th birthday.  One of the highlights was a longtail boat tour of the Thornburi District.

So much of Bangkok's traditional life is centered on the river. With all the flash and dash of modern times it was refreshing to 'step back in time' and see the remains of an earlier society (that is still active).

. . .

27686209561_8a0e6d9661_o.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Another Bangkok suggestion for the OP...

My late mother stayed at Chatrium Suites when she visited Bangkok on her 80th birthday.  One of the highlights was a longtail boat tour of the Thornburi District.

So much of Bangkok's traditional life is centered on the river. With all the flash and dash of modern times it was refreshing to 'step back in time' and see the remains of an earlier society (that is still active).

. . .

27686209561_8a0e6d9661_o.jpg

i enjoyed that.

I think you used the descriptor "refreshing" appropriately.

555555555555 !