Recomended TV Programs to Watch from Live TV and Streaming Services (Threads Merged)

galenkia

Visited my daughter on Friday and we decided to watch a film on Netflix and I picked Ad Astra.

The film "Ad Astra" has a leading cast of Brad Pitt,Tommy Lee Jones and Donald Sutherland.

Sounds good, doesn't it?

Read the reviews and at least some viewers though it was wonderful.

Watch  this trailer and it looks exciting doesn't it?

Except those explosions in space and falling debris etc take place right at the start of the film.

What takes place after the first 45 minutes or so I have no idea. By then it was the cinema's alternative to taking a couple of diazepam tablets.

Brad Piit's character is a miserable underwhelming individual. Tommy Lee Jones has only fleeting cameo appearances and Donald Sutherland kept making me think of him as the bad guy in the Hunger Games series.

It bored me to tears and we decamped to sunbathe in the garden.

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Not Netflix but a new 4 part true crime drama starts tonight on BBC-1,Steeltown Murders.

I don't have a lot of time for the Beeb but this is what they're best at.

BBC are the best at crime drama series by far.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Not Netflix but a new 4 part true crime drama starts tonight on BBC-1,Steeltown Murders.

I don't have a lot of time for the Beeb but this is what they're best at.

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

BBC are the best at crime drama series by far.

OK I trust your judgement, just set record for the 4 parts

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mother.jpg

I am not having much luck with my choice of films on Netflix.

Mixed reviews but I thought giving Jennifer Lopez a try in "The Mother" would be at least interesting.

I had to give up on it as the film was so dark including all the daytime scenes. At first I thought I had maybe been playing about with the settings on my TV but it was not that at all. I tried a couple of alternative films at random just to see them load and they were fine being my normal great picture.

Has anyone else had this problem with this particular film?

Edited by Jambo

I enjoy watching the BBC nature shows that David Attenborough narrates. I noticed that S02E01 of "Prehistoric Planet" was just released. I had not noticed S01, so I downloaded the 5 episode S01 from IPT and started watching it today. Really good show IMO. IMDB is 8.4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prehistoric_Planet#References

S02 is not available as of yet on IPT, but E01 is available on Flixer.

Curious as to how they create this product. I am guessing that they do animation on top of film.

Edited by ChiFlyer

15 hours ago, Jambo said:

Mother.jpg

I am not having much luck with my choice of films on Netflix.

Mixed reviews but I thought giving Jennifer Lopez a try in "The Mother" would be at least interesting.

I had to give up on it as the film was so dark including all the daytime scenes. At first I thought I had maybe been playing about with the settings on my TV but it was not that at all. I tried a couple of alternative films at random just to see them load and they were fine being my normal great picture.

Has anyone else had this problem with this particular film?

Never liked her acting. Hustlers was the exception, good flick IMO

On 4/16/2023 at 9:07 PM, forcebwithu said:

Just finished watching the Seven Kings Must Die movie which is the conclusion to The Last Kingdom series. Really enjoyed the series as well as the movie.

image.jpeg

I finally got around to watching it the other day. It is an enjoyable watch IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been watching a few foreign language shows that I find interesting enough to have on in the afternoon, while I am doing other things.

The first one is a KTV political drama mystery - S01 of "Pandora: Beneath the Paradise". 16 episodes with an 8.5 IMDB. Personally, I feel that the IMDB rating is way too high. Let's say 7.3. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora:_Beneath_the_Paradise

This show has more plot twists than a GOP RWNJ get together. The cast also deserves an overall award nomination for over-acting. Still at the same time it is a fun watch. It is available on IPT.

Foreign language show #2 also KTV -> S01 and S02 of "Tale of the Nine Tailed".

This is a supernatural mystery drama with an IMDB of 8.0. A little high on the rating IMO. I would say 7.7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tale_of_the_Nine_Tailed

Also an afternoon background watch IMO, but an enjoyable one. S01 is not available on IPT, but can be found on Flixer.

https://theflixer.tv/tv-show

Flixer is a free download service with minimal ad attacks. Yes, it does stall out at times, but one only has to get off of their ass and forward the video a few seconds.

S02 is available on IPT and is currently being loaded there as episodes become available. I have not started watching S02.

An off and on rainy day in Huay Yai today so I decided to watch a movie. I keep an inventory of movies that have a chance of being worth a watch. Today I watched "The Big Short".

This is a 2015 7.8 IMDB rated movie with a monster cast (Steve Carell, Christian Bale, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling, Marisa Tormei, and others).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Short_(film)

More than worth a watch IMO. Mandatory viewing, especially for Americans. The film covers the lead up to the 2007 Housing Sector collapse due to the fraud that existed in Mortgage Bond Securities. It focuses on the very few financial analysts that saw this coming.

Strongly recommended.

5 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

An off and on rainy day in Huay Yai today so I decided to watch a movie. I keep an inventory of movies that have a chance of being worth a watch. Today I watched "The Big Short".

This is a 2015 7.8 IMDB rated movie with a monster cast (Steve Carell, Christian Bale, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling, Marisa Tormei, and others).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Short_(film)

More than worth a watch IMO. Mandatory viewing, especially for Americans. The film covers the lead up to the 2007 Housing Sector collapse due to the fraud that existed in Mortgage Bond Securities. It focuses on the very few financial analysts that saw this coming.

Strongly recommended.

I agree great film , the director also did Vice , about the life of Dick Cheney , also worth a watch 

Ken Burns - Benjamin Franklin documentary

I plan out my video viewing by reading reviews, checking release dates for shows that I think I might like, and following threads such as this one. I had noticed that there was a limited series starring Michael Douglas about the life of Benjamin Franklin. As part of the associated research, I noticed that there was a 2 part 4 hour in total Ken Burns documentary about Benjamin Franklin (IMDB 8.2) that I had not seen.

Even though I like Michael Douglas, I decided to try the Ken Burns work first. I have watched only the first episode. Wow and double wow. It is available on IPT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin_(film)

I love Burns' work. If you are an American there is so much depth with regards to topics such as "The Civil War", "Prohibition", "WWII", and others, that the documentaries are mesmerizing. Did you guys know when the US Income Tax started? It was instituted to offset the tax losses that would occur occur from liquor sales taxes that would be lost due to Prohibition. hmmm, we need a claw back. 🙂

I think our British friends, who speak a similar language, may be interested in this documentary as well. Franklin was a British loyalist until a few years before 1776, when he was villainized before Parliament because of outrage over the "Boston Tea Party". Give them RWNJs their due.

Maybe we are not as unique as we think at this point in time. 🙂

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 4:50 AM, Stillearly said:

Succession ....

I know it's just finished , but I only started watching it tonight ... already on Episode 4 .. really enjoying it 

No spoilers please 🙂 

Just finished watching SE01E01. After starting and stopping several other series that didn't grab my interest in the first couple of episodes, happy to have found one that has me hooked with the first episode.

Just now, forcebwithu said:

Just finished watching SE01E01. After starting and stopping several other series that didn't grab my interest in the first couple of episodes, happy to have found one that has me hooked with the first episode.

I'm already on S2 , its brilliant so far