What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

26 minutes ago, Butch said:

Do TT exchanges still require a copy or presentation of your passport when changing cash ?. I had a small laminated card made for 100 baht in a photo / fuji shop on my last trip in 19.

Sometimes....

....and sometimes not!

Like you, I have a laminated copy of my passport and visa in my wallet which has worked

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Painter said:

Sometimes....

....and sometimes not!

Like you, I have a laminated copy of my passport and visa in my wallet which has worked

Could you tell me which shop? Or would any photo shop offer this service..Thanks

1 minute ago, john1000 said:

Could you tell me which shop? Or would any photo shop offer this service..Thanks

I used the photo shop on 2nd road roughly opposite the Avenue, or last trip one on Tai opposite Friendship, but I think any photo shop would do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Butch said:

Do TT exchanges still require a copy or presentation of your passport when changing cash ?. I had a small laminated card made for 100 baht in a photo / fuji shop on my last trip in 19.

7 hours ago, Painter said:

Sometimes....

....and sometimes not!

7 hours ago, john1000 said:

7 hours ago, Painter said:

I used the photo shop on 2nd road roughly opposite the Avenue, or last trip one on Tai opposite Friendship, but I think any photo shop would do it.

Just one observation regarding having copies of the photograph page of ones passport printed in a shop in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter.

Absolutely fine providing a simple photocopier is used to get the image and print it.  There is a danger however if the machine used to copy the image before printing actually retains the image as a file.  This could be distributed and or used to create a fake identity for someone.

A low risk perhaps but one which is avoidable; take the image of your passport at home on your own computer.  

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

5 hours ago, john luke said:

Just one observation regarding having copies of the photograph page of ones passport printed in a shop in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter.

Absolutely fine providing a simple photocopier is used to get the image and print it.  There is a danger however if the machine used to copy the image before printing actually retains the image as a file.  This could be distributed and or used to create a fake identity for someone.

A low risk perhaps but one which is avoidable; take the image of your passport at home on your own computer.  

Very good point indeed , as it is going to be a hi res one as well.

I also seem to vaguely remember that a photo on your phone is adequate, however YMMV on that one. I found that using a regular TT they dispense with the need after a couple of visits.

53 minutes ago, Butch said:

Very good point indeed , as it is going to be a hi res one as well.

I also seem to vaguely remember that a photo on your phone is adequate, however YMMV on that one. I found that using a regular TT they dispense with the need after a couple of visits.

It's also a good idea to take a picture of your entry stamp along with the main page on your phone.

Slightly off topic. but I carry a CC sized laminated copy of my passport and a similarly sized piece of cardboard with my travel insurance details, emergency phone number etc. Working on the principle that if I am unconscious, the hospital will do all they can to keep me alive knowing I have insurance to pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, boydeste said:

It's also a good idea to take a picture of your entry stamp along with the main page on your phone.

Slightly off topic. but I carry a CC sized laminated copy of my passport and a similarly sized piece of cardboard with my travel insurance details, emergency phone number etc. Working on the principle that if I am unconscious, the hospital will do all they can to keep me alive knowing I have insurance to pay for it.

Yup. Last trip my laminated card had passport on one side and insurance details and contact numbers for next of kin both in Thailand and UK on the other, laminated at home. The Thai next of kin had sealed envelopes with phone numbers and insurance details in, to be opened if they needed them. I say next of kin, but friends really. A 2nd laminated card then had visa/entry stamp.

Before long my wallet isn't going to have enough space for any money!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wednesday 24th August Soi Buakhao about 20.45 hrs..

IMG_20220824_205630.jpg

Now as a matter of interest there's a place down Soi Post Office that's meant to do a good deal....

These were taken approx 20 minutes before the TT one......sorry about quality but the pound is 42.36....

IMG_20220824_203448.jpg

IMG_20220824_203443.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2