What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

8 minutes ago, Poul said:

Rates for bank notes, who would carry cash these days?

Why not use ATM card from your home country or do a TT transfer to a Thai bank account, rates are much better

Rgds,

Poul

The simple answer to your 2 points is that most holiday makers don't have a Thai bank account and many ATM cards add additional charges for use in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, boydeste said:

The simple answer to your 2 points is that most holiday makers don't have a Thai bank account and many ATM cards add additional charges for use in Thailand. 

Yes I have a friend who uses his UK ATM and gets charged about £11 or above every time he takes out cash. About half of that is Thai charges.

I am leaving him my Kasikorn bank card as he stays long time in Hua Hin. He sends me the cash and I buy off a friend of my wife at a set rate above the TT rate. She sends to my Hua Hin bank account. She wants sterling.

No charges and a much better rate.

Have told my friend to get a long term stay sorted and a bank account but as yet he hasn't.

On 8/29/2022 at 3:37 PM, Poul said:

Why not use ATM card from your home country or do a TT transfer to a Thai bank account, rates are much better

Bank TT transfers are dead in the water now with the likes of Wise taking over at a much reduced cost.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:37 PM, Poul said:

Rates for bank notes, who would carry cash these days?

Rgds,

Poul

220 baht per transaction charged on all ATM withdrawals when using a card issued by a bank or institution outside Thailand.  Most UK debit cards charge a fee of around 3% for processing a non sterling withdrawal.  If you obtain cash with a UK Credit Card some charge a non sterling processing fee and all charge interest from day one until the amount is cleared from the account.

As @KWAsays the most efficient way, providing you have a Thai Bank Account is to use Wise or similar and only use the Thai Bank Cards for withdrawals in Thailand.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, john luke said:

. . . . and all charge interest from day one until the amount is cleared from the account.

Barclaycard Rewards and 118 118 Money cards don't even charge that.  No interest on cash withdrawals providing you pay the bill in full.

• Great Info 1

On 8/31/2022 at 2:02 PM, john luke said:

220 baht per transaction charged on all ATM withdrawals when using a card issued by a bank or institution outside Thailand.  Most UK debit cards charge a fee of around 3% for processing a non sterling withdrawal.  If you obtain cash with a UK Credit Card some charge a non sterling processing fee and all charge interest from day one until the amount is cleared from the account.

As @KWAsays the most efficient way, providing you have a Thai Bank Account is to use Wise or similar and only use the Thai Bank Cards for withdrawals in Thailand.

I use ING in Oz, they refund the ATM fees. I was in the Philippines last week and they refunded the 250P ATM fee every time.

I had AUD but a lot of the money changers in several places in Mindanao only wanted USD. The only one I found that accepted AUD was offering 28P to the AUD, the correct rate was was 38P, ATM it was.

18 minutes ago, Chang_Paarp said:

I use ING in Oz, they refund the ATM fees. I was in the Philippines last week and they refunded the 250P ATM fee every time.

I had AUD but a lot of the money changers in several places in Mindanao only wanted USD. The only one I found that accepted AUD was offering 28P to the AUD, the correct rate was was 38P, ATM it was.

I seem to remember a US bank refunding charges imposed as above, but nothing like that in UK.  UK banks now offer a very bland service, many branches closed, impossible to speak to staff at branch as all calls go through to a central call centre.  I do most banking now on line and using the app on my phone.  Moan over.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, john luke said:

I seem to remember a US bank refunding charges imposed as above, but nothing like that in UK.  UK banks now offer a very bland service, many branches closed, impossible to speak to staff at branch as all calls go through to a central call centre.  I do most banking now on line and using the app on my phone.  Moan over.

ING is an online bank in Oz, the condition for the fee refund is that $1000 is deposited a month from an external account, this gives refund of fees from any ATM, local or overseas, as a bonus they do not charge for overseas transactions. It also gives bonus interest in a separate savings account.

The bricks and mortar banks here are useless, while they have (fewer and fewer) branches, there is never enough staff. They are trying to drive customers online. As to talking to human on the phone, have a drink and comfy chair while your call is important to them.

13 hours ago, john luke said:

Charles Schwab is the US one