What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

With the rate looking better than it has for some months, I decided to take the £1,000 in £20 notes I have here to TT to change them before the October deadline arrives and paper money ceases to be legal tender in the UK. So much for the best laid plans, lol, TT has already stopped accepting paper £20 and £50 notes! Never mind, I'm booked to fly back to Blighty in early September so I'll still be able to spend it when I get back there. I wonder if that's only TT, or have all the exchange booths stopped accepting paper notes from Britain?

5 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

With the rate looking better than it has for some months, I decided to take the £1,000 in £20 notes I have here to TT to change them before the October deadline arrives and paper money ceases to be legal tender in the UK. So much for the best laid plans, lol, TT has already stopped accepting paper £20 and £50 notes! Never mind, I'm booked to fly back to Blighty in early September so I'll still be able to spend it when I get back there. I wonder if that's only TT, or have all the exchange booths stopped accepting paper notes from Britain?

That  was bad luck, one week too late.image.png

Edited by bob lt
  • Like 1

I got 43.40 in Kasikorn at the airport but in the exchange downstairs alongside the entrance to the train station. The Kbank upstairs in arrivals was 40.72, not a good rate for tourists who are not in the know.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 2

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

I got 43.40 in Kasikorn at the airport but in the exchange downstairs alongside the entrance to the train station. The Kbank upstairs in arrivals was 40.72, not a good rate for tourists who are not in the know.

Yes, I have used the downstairs exchanges before. 

The booths at arrivals know that most people are arriving with no baht. I take a few thousand baht with me, that covers my taxi etc so that I can get out the airport as soon as possible. Everything is generally more  expensive at airports. That said, the difference of 30 satang when changing a couple of hundred quid doesn't make a huge difference, I guess.  I only change up money every couple od days as we never know whether its going up or down 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

Yes, I have used the downstairs exchanges before. 

The booths at arrivals know that most people are arriving with no baht. I take a few thousand baht with me, that covers my taxi etc so that I can get out the airport as soon as possible. Everything is generally more  expensive at airports. That said, the difference of 30 satang when changing a couple of hundred quid doesn't make a huge difference, I guess.  I only change up money every couple od days as we never know whether its going up or down 

In my experience (admittedly pushing three years old), the booths in the railway station concourse, past the ticket machines, will give you a rate similar to TT in Pattaya.

I would guess that being in the railway station rather than the airport proper, they don't pay airport rents, and don't have to belong to the airport cartel.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, cosceguinhas said:

In my experience (admittedly pushing three years old), the booths in the railway station concourse, past the ticket machines, will give you a rate similar to TT in Pattaya.

I would guess that being in the railway station rather than the airport proper, they don't pay airport rents, and don't have to belong to the airport cartel.

Just a small tip I noticed. 

The rate at Super Rich, Kbank etc. downstairs was the same at 43.40 on Friday but only Kbank was giving that rate for all notes. Super Rich and the others were giving 43.40 only for £50 notes, slightly lower for 5,10 and 20 notes.. 

TW seem to be playing games again. The last half-dozen or so transfers have arrived within seconds, even on the weekend. So yesterday (Sunday) I transferred £2K at 43.75 net of their charges, which seemed like a decent rate. Instead of arriving shortly thereafter, they announced that they'd send the money to Thailand on Monday and it would be paid out to me on Tuesday. Why for goodness sake?

And then they had the cheek to send me a self-congratulatory e-mail this morning proclaiming:

51% of transfers are instant!

That means in 20 seconds or less. 90% arrive in less than a day too. Waiting for days is so 2021...

Well, TW guys & gals, here's news for you, it's the middle of 2022 and I'm still waiting days, you fintech fuckwits.

Edited by Toy Boy
  • Surprised 3

12 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

TW seem to be playing games again. The last half-dozen or so transfers have arrived within seconds, even on the weekend. So yesterday (Sunday) I transferred £2K at 43.75 net of their charges, which seemed like a decent rate. Instead of arriving shortly thereafter, they announced that they'd send the money to Thailand on Monday and it would be paid out to me on Tuesday. Why for goodness sake?

50,000 baht and over appear to get the slow process, similar to when you select long stay or house purchase as a reason.

• Like 1

I read recently that DAMANI MONEY EXCHANGE  at 183/43 Soi Post Office claim to offer the best rates in Pattaya (Indian owned) Open 24 hrs a day apparently. It is a Gold Shop by the looks of it. 

If anyone in Pattaya at the moment, has time, please check this place out for their rates. According to their website, the Sterling selling rate today is 44.21

46 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I read recently that DAMANI MONEY EXCHANGE  at 183/43 Soi Post Office claim to offer the best rates in Pattaya (Indian owned) Open 24 hrs a day apparently. It is a Gold Shop by the looks of it. 

If anyone in Pattaya at the moment, has time, please check this place out for their rates. According to their website, the Sterling selling rate today is 44.21

Just called them and they quoted the same rate as what you saw on their website.

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1