Is it raining in Pattaya? (Threads Merged)

john luke

• 1 month later...

Just before 20:00 hrs last night the sky opened up with a deluge of rain. Rain nearly one hour extremely heavy then a break followed by more heavy rain. Power flickered  a bit but stayed on. I believe we had more rain in the " Dark Side ' than down town.  Followed by cool temps during the night.

de "

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, john luke said:

Not yet, but I suggest the rain will reach us soon.

Untitled-1.jpg

That might have been the cloud burst that moved through the area just as I was heading out. As I was riding spatters of rain quickly turned to buckets. I took shelter under an awning and spent about five minutes putting on my foul weather riding gear. Still was raining buckets, but I was warm and dry in my gear so headed out. Rode maybe 50m when I hit the edge of the storm and it was dry riding the rest of the way. I'm sure I looked kind of silly riding into central Pattaya all decked out in my rain gear when the pavements were dry and not a drop of rain in sight.

When I went out to switch off the garden floodlights before going to bed last night, the rain had been coming down for over four hours. I was surprised to see one of the big cacti had produced four large flowers, I'd been doing some tidying up there in the afternoon and there hadn't been any flowers then. I don't know anything about cactus flowers, but it seems that a decent drop of rain can cause them to appear very quickly. 

IMG20210706225423.jpg

IMG20210706225440.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/7/2021 at 5:01 PM, forcebwithu said:

^^^ And what I understand the flower unfortunately lasts only one day.

One night, in fact, they were already dying when I fed the carp the next morning. I've only ever seen them twice before in ten years of living in this house, but maybe that's because they bloom after I've gone to bed and are dead by the time I get up the next day. Or maybe they really don't flower very often, I honestly don't know.

13 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

One night, in fact, they were already dying when I fed the carp the next morning. I've only ever seen them twice before in ten years of living in this house, but maybe that's because they bloom after I've gone to bed and are dead by the time I get up the next day. Or maybe they really don't flower very often, I honestly don't know.

My lady told me they bloom once a year. Didn't know they only bloom at night. Guess that's my learn something new for the day.

Edited by forcebwithu

On 7/10/2021 at 6:20 AM, forcebwithu said:

My lady told me they bloom once a year. Didn't know they only bloom at night. Guess that's my learn something new for the day.

My guess is that the flowers of this particular cactus must be pollinated by nocturnal insects, moths perhaps. Weird to flower in the middle of a heavy rain storm, though, how many insects are flying about in that lot? What's the mean free path of a moth in a rain storm, lol?

• 2 weeks later...

I was safely tucked away in my home reading a book when the storm hit. My lady was out walking the dogs though.

Had a good laugh when I saw on the security camera the two dogs come running back, minus the dog walker. The smarter of the two pushed the gate door open with her nose and both made it to shelter just before the big drops hit. About one minute later my lady came back, drenched. Told her som nam na, with a smile, for not seeing the dark clouds rolling in bringing buckets of rain with them.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, john luke said:

Light rain Naklua Road at this moment in time.

It has been light rain since about 6am. I started my morning walk around 7am when there was a slight drizzle, but then it developed into the really bloody annoying rain that doesn't quite warrant putting the brolly up and yet still gets you wet if you are out for a couple of hours.

I was home by 10am and it is still drizzling now around 2pm. Lovely and cool though all day !

4 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

It has been light rain since about 6am. I started my morning walk around 7am when there was a slight drizzle, but then it developed into the really bloody annoying rain that doesn't quite warrant putting the brolly up and yet still gets you wet if you are out for a couple of hours.

I was home by 10am and it is still drizzling now around 2pm. Lovely and cool though all day !

Always nice to hear an "on the ground" report. I tend to hate that type of rain, But, for a break from the heat, not all that bad.