COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

49 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

The New Rochelle containment area (NOT "confinement area') is nothing like the WW II U.S. internment camps for both citizens and non-citizens of Japanese ancestry.  The goal is to contain the virus, not people, within the area.  Ethnic Japanese people in coastal areas of the U.S. were forced into camps far from their homes, were kept under guard and not allowed to leave.  The people living in the New Rochelle containment area remain in their own homes and are free to come and go as they please.  Some have been recommended to self-quarantine, but there are no restrictions on their movement.They are not under guard and there are no check points. 

Public transportation continues to serve the containment area and residents who work outside the area are able to go to their jobs.  Similarly, people who live outside the area can continue to visit friends and family or work at jobs in the area.  Schools, houses of worship and other places where people gather, such as a county club and a community center, have been closed to allow for disinfection and deep cleaning. Shops and other businesses remain open.

The National Guard has been deployed to distribute food, medicine and other necessities to people in the area.  Low-income families and some of the elderly often relied on free breakfast or lunch programs at schools or the community center.   The Guard will also help with the cleaning efforts. New Rochelle is a city of 80,000 people and doesn't have the staff or resources to handle such measures on its own. 

The numbers change constantly,  but New Rochelle has had at least 121 confirmed cases of the coronavirus.  Almost all the infected people had a connection to the Young Israel Synagogue, which is considered the epicenter of the New Rochelle cluster and marks the center point of the containment zone.  To repeat, the goal is to contain the virus, not people, within the area.

By contrast, New York City, with 100 times New Rochelle's population, has reported 95 confirmed COVID-19 cases.

Evil

dear boy, to contain the virus they have to contain the people :)  and my reference to the nternement camps was to someones statement that containment by military had never happened before

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Latest update if anyone has trips booked ...

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index_more.php

UK visitors now "recommended" 14 day self isolation

It is very badly written, so open to different interpretations, but I don't read it as a simple recommendation that could be ignored:

For travelers from ongoing local transmission areas, recommended to implement control for observation (meaning supervision without quarantine with permission to transit upon the condition that they follow the stipulations under the law) in order to ensure self-monitoring for no less than 14 days until the end of the infectious period or the reason for suspicion. They may obtain permission to go to certain places where deemed necessary and a surveillance officer will closely monitor symptoms.

• Like 1

Just checked with my Insurance company ..... apparently I didn't get a "travel disruption policy add on " when I originally bought my policy ( I don't remember it being an extra option ... ) ... so won't be covered if I have to change my plans .. bunch of cnuts 

49 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Just checked with my Insurance company ..... apparently I didn't get a "travel disruption policy add on " when I originally bought my policy ( I don't remember it being an extra option ... ) ... so won't be covered if I have to change my plans .. bunch of cnuts 

But can you not buy it now?

With staysure who i'm with you can, £27 per person.

I think the main worry will be if Thailand stop access from the UK, or compulsory quarantine/self isolation, not the other way around.

Here we go, Wales health minister has just said all but essential health procedures will be cancelled until further notice.

This will be across the board in the UK soon, then it will change to having to prioritise emergency cases like they are doing in Italy, Doctor's having to decide who lives and who dies, who to treat as the system can't cope. 

Italy, especially in Lombardy, has many more beds than the UK.

21 minutes ago, Krapow said:

But can you not buy it now?

With staysure who i'm with you can, £27 per person.

I think the main worry will be if Thailand stop access from the UK, or compulsory quarantine/self isolation, not the other way around.

No,  Aviva not allowing it ... 

Edited by Stillearly

3 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

No,  Aviva not allowing it ... 

Yea, a few aren't. 

I can, but haven't as yet. I've booked direct with EVA, so can cancel anytime for £180, there £100 excess on the travel insurance if I took it anyway, plus hassle. 

2 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I think they have #552

Recommended, not compulsory. 

2 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I can, but haven't as yet. I've booked direct with EVA, so can cancel anytime for £180, there £100 excess on the travel insurance if I took it anyway, plus hassle. 

Think I'm okay with Qatar ... but made a schoolboy error and booked the cheapest , no cancellation price for my hotel rooms ... will wait a few more days before I make a decision 

2 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I agree with Bazle the language isn't clear ... 

True!

I hadn't actually read it until now, just read your post where it says 'recommended'.

Clear as mud, typical Thailand.

Though still think it will a huge step.

3 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Think I'm okay with Qatar ... but made a schoolboy error and booked the cheapest , no cancellation price for my hotel rooms ... will wait a few more days before I make a decision 

I'm the same with one hotel, £600.

But booked with credit card, so maybe have a chance there if worse comes to worse and they won't refund.

2 hours ago, Bazle said:

It is very badly written, so open to different interpretations, but I don't read it as a simple recommendation that could be ignored:

For travelers from ongoing local transmission areas, recommended to implement control for observation (meaning supervision without quarantine with permission to transit upon the condition that they follow the stipulations under the law) in order to ensure self-monitoring for no less than 14 days until the end of the infectious period or the reason for suspicion. They may obtain permission to go to certain places where deemed necessary and a surveillance officer will closely monitor symptoms.

10 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I agree with Bazle the language isn't clear ... 

Just had another read of it.

To me it reads you can come and travel about as usual (permission to transit) though you have to self monitor and obey the current law stipulations re the virus in Thailand, and as such, certain places you can't currently go, probably government buildings etc, but can get permission if deemed necessary. 

Then again, I could be way off 🙄

10 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Just had another read of it.

To me it reads you can come and travel about as usual (permission to transit) though you have to self monitor and obey the current law stipulations re the virus in Thailand, and as such, certain places you can't currently go, probably government buildings etc, but can get permission if deemed necessary. 

Then again, I could be way off 🙄

You are probably right ... 

But I'm also thinking it's probably not the best time to get up close and personal with loads of random women  .... so for me probably not much point in going  🙂 555

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

You are probably right ... 

But I'm also thinking it's probably not the best time to get up close and personal with loads of random women  .... so for me probably not much point in going  🙂 555

Yea, but if you choose not to go, your travel insurance wouldn't cover you anyway, has to be an official do not travel. 

4 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Yea, but if you choose not to go, your travel insurance wouldn't cover you anyway, has to be an official do not travel. 

I know , but the 14 thing concerned me , so I wanted to check if the internal flights hotels I had already booked would be covered  ... they then told me that I wouldn't be covered anyway because I didn't have the add on 

11 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I know , but the 14 thing concerned me , so I wanted to check if the internal flights hotels I had already booked would be covered  ... they then told me that I wouldn't be covered anyway because I didn't have the add on 

Yea, if it was compulsory, I wouldn't go either.

I don't read it as that though, not yet anyway ...

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I've got a trip booked for 20 April. The chances of it happening are so little I'm going to (try to!) cancel and get a refund for the flight - albeit suffer a penalty.

Just now, Bazle said:

I've got a trip booked for 20 April. The chances of it happening are so little I'm going to (try to!) cancel and get a refund for the flight - albeit suffer a penalty.

But if you think it's so little, if it gets officially cancelled as you think, you'll get a full refund, no?

If you booked direct with the airline you'll get a refund, albeit with a penalty.

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

But if you think it's so little, if it gets officially cancelled as you think, you'll get a full refund, no?

I didn't say I thought it would be "officially cancelled"! Just that it wouldn't happen (for one reason or another).

For example, if I am permitted to travel but the Thais say I have to go into isolation for a fortnight when I get there, it would be my choice not to travel.

Or suppose the UK government "recommends" no travel for the over 60s, but doesn't prohibit it?

Or the travel insurance is so impacted I would consider it too risky to travel?